OMAD & Strength Training

Watch
MTJS
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Good afternoon,

I am looking to join the gym soon with the goal of losing weight and building muscle. I believe this is called body-recomposition from some videos that I have watched on YouTube.

I am not big on breakfast and usually only eat after work at night. I rarely eat for lunch and with the goal of weight loss, I thought I might transition fully into OMAD as I have basically been doing it for a long time anyway.

For dinner, I will mostly be having clean food like sous-vide chicken thighs, chicken breast, steamed broccoli & cauliflower and greek yoghurt with stevia sweetener. I will occasionally add fruits like apples and berries.

My question is, if I want to do some strength training and some cardio during my gym sessions then when should I go to the gym? The only times I can go is very early in the morning or late at night after work.

Is it best to go in the morning on an empty stomach? Do I still need to take things like protein shakes or would I then not be doing OMAD properly lol? Lastly, is it safe to go to the gym and do OMAD?

Many thanks!
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What is the point of one meal a day? You still need to be consuming the amount of calories you require, even if trying to lose weight, so why not spread it out over the day instead of eating a massive meal at one sitting? How many calories should you be consuming and how is chicken, veg and yoghurt giving you all the vitamins and minerals you need? Where's the complex carbs and the variety? And your body won't recover properly from exercise if you don't provide it with the proper nutrition after working out.
Contested Claim
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So you intend to to eat a very low calorie diet, work, strength train and do cardio?

You won't gain muscle eating like that.

You also won't lose weight in the long run simply because you'll abandon your plan after a few days because it will make you feel miserable and tired, then you'll seek out reduced price Easter eggs.
Last edited by Contested Claim; 2 weeks ago
MTJS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Surnia)
What is the point of one meal a day? You still need to be consuming the amount of calories you require, even if trying to lose weight, so why not spread it out over the day instead of eating a massive meal at one sitting? How many calories should you be consuming and how is chicken, veg and yoghurt giving you all the vitamins and minerals you need? Where's the complex carbs and the variety? And your body won't recover properly from exercise if you don't provide it with the proper nutrition after working out.
Hello, thank you for your post

I have never liked to eat in the morning and when it comes to lunch at work I always feel really heavy/ drowsy if I have a full meal. By eating one big meal when I get home I can go right to bed afterwards when I get tired. I have been like this since the start of secondary school. I am not opposed to eating in multiple sittings, I just can't have full meals multiple times in a day. I am quite happy eating small things like fruits or boiled eggs in the morning and as snacks. I may also try those breakfast/fibre bars.

I plan on adding more variety to my meals but my main limiting factor is time right now so I usually spend one day preparing all my meats (salmon, chicken) and putting them in sous vide bags in the freezer, ready to cook whenever I want. With sous vide, I can set it to start cooking whilst I am still on my way home and my frozen vegetables do not take long to steam at all. I plan on adding some more easy meals as I go on but to start with, the ones I chose were mostly for simplicity.

I don't know much about gym and nutrition so your questions are helping me find flaws in my current plan
MTJS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Contested Claim)
So you intend to to eat a very low calorie diet, work, strength train and do cardio?

You won't gain muscle eating like that.

You also won't lose weight in the long run simply because you'll abandon your plan after a few days because it will make you feel miserable and tired, then you'll seek out reduced price Easter eggs.
Hello,

MyFitnessPal says I should be aiming for about 1700 calories and most days, the foods I had planned come quite close to that (rice, bread, yoghurts, cereal bars get me closer). If there is a big gap then for lunch I can plan for something like a boots sandwich or a wrap.

From the body recomp videos I have seen on Youtube they have said that I should aim for a 200 calorie deficit at most but take a good amount of protein. Obviously, as my TDEE goes up I will adjust the amount of calories I take in but as I am just starting from quite a sedentary lifestyle, I am starting slow as my stamina will be quite low initially and I am unlikely to burn tons of energy at the gym.

I am really just asking for advice here and open to listening to how I can do better
Proxenus
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
more specifically losing fat and building muscle is recomp

weight can mean muscle fat water

if you're gonna do omad then gym after food

I would do omad every other day tho. just make sure you get a nice carb source 1hr before gym

I didn't answer all Ur questions BC there was a few scattered in Ur post but if you wanna ask a question go ahead
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Wouldn't suggest doing OMAD when you are trying to recomp.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MTJS)
Hello, thank you for your post

I have never liked to eat in the morning and when it comes to lunch at work I always feel really heavy/ drowsy if I have a full meal. By eating one big meal when I get home I can go right to bed afterwards when I get tired. I have been like this since the start of secondary school. I am not opposed to eating in multiple sittings, I just can't have full meals multiple times in a day. I am quite happy eating small things like fruits or boiled eggs in the morning and as snacks. I may also try those breakfast/fibre bars.

I plan on adding more variety to my meals but my main limiting factor is time right now so I usually spend one day preparing all my meats (salmon, chicken) and putting them in sous vide bags in the freezer, ready to cook whenever I want. With sous vide, I can set it to start cooking whilst I am still on my way home and my frozen vegetables do not take long to steam at all. I plan on adding some more easy meals as I go on but to start with, the ones I chose were mostly for simplicity.

I don't know much about gym and nutrition so your questions are helping me find flaws in my current plan
Eating clean, but plan on adding cereal bars and Boots sandwiches? Your diet is based on time and convenience, not nutrition. Having home-made wraps or a salad for lunch shouldn't make you drowsy; that could be due to too much protein and carbs in one go. In an evening there are plenty of other meals that you could cook fresh that wouldn't take long, or do in a slow cooker, or cook from frozen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (158)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (471)
14.64%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (360)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (451)
14.01%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (151)
4.69%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (193)
6%
Loneliness (279)
8.67%
Financial worries (114)
3.54%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (129)
4.01%
Exposure to negative news/social media (146)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (177)
5.5%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (287)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (302)
9.38%

Watched Threads