Aqa a level chemistry and biology

Watch this thread
Ambiguous Super
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi

So I want to do these A-levels and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice for how to prepare and what I need to know.

Also, does anyone have the formula sheet which I will need?
That would be amazing xx
abbie3108
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ambiguous Super)
Hi

So I want to do these A-levels and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice for how to prepare and what I need to know.

That would be amazing xx
Hi!

I don't do AQA but I do a-level biology and chemistry (i do maths and geography as well). Honestly theyre not as bad as people say they are and I wouldn't worry too much about getting a head start as they will teach you everything you need to know. If you do want to look into some things there are tonnes of youtube channels, physicsandmathstutor.com is really good too (it has all the exam boards with notes and past paper questions, its not just for physics and maths).

Obviously I don't have the AQA formula sheet but it should be on the website in the specification or the teachers notes.

Hope this helped
Ambiguous Super
Rep:
(Original post by abbie3108)
Hi!

I don't do AQA but I do a-level biology and chemistry (i do maths and geography as well). Honestly theyre not as bad as people say they are and I wouldn't worry too much about getting a head start as they will teach you everything you need to know. If you do want to look into some things there are tonnes of youtube channels, physicsandmathstutor.com is really good too (it has all the exam boards with notes and past paper questions, its not just for physics and maths).

Obviously I don't have the AQA formula sheet but it should be on the website in the specification or the teachers notes.

Hope this helped
Thank you 😊💝
Squiggles1238
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hello! Im in year 12 doing AQA biology a level! I would have to say its certainly a step up from GCSE level, and personally, i do find the AQA syllable harder than others such as OCR. I could not say it is or isnt going to be hard/easy for you as everyone tackles it differently
As long as you revise the content often and pay attention in class then it shouldnt be too bad!
Am i able to ask what grades you are currently getting for chem/bio?
idk__21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi

That would be amazing xx
Hi, before year 12 started I was really worried about biology and chemistry but tbh I think that some people really overexaggerate how hard it is- ofc im not saying it is easy but if you work hard you can do well. Make sure you do exam questions- like gcse the mark scheme gets repetitive and you will get better on each topic with loads of practise.
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi

That would be amazing xx
Honestly, there isn't really anything you need to prepare.

biology
Being strong with your GCSE knowledge is good but not necessary tbh as everything will be covered again. My main advice for bio would be to stay on top of everything as it can pile up quick

chemistry
being relatively confident on the bonds you've learnt at GCSEs and fundamentals of chemistry eg naming organic compounds and balancing equations will make your life easier when you come round to those topics but again the truth is year 12 content isn't that much of a step up from GCSEs assuming you are doing relatively well.

formula sheet
biology doesn't have a formula sheet.
chemistry does: http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/up...7405-sdb_2.pdf

conclusion
if you are working at a 7+ right now then don't worry too much just increase your confidence as from my experience most people who did well at GCSEs in their subjects (strong 8s and 9s) haven't struggled much at A-level as long as they haven't slacked too much
enjoy the time you have now. if you really want to "prepare" i'd say start looking at what you want to do post A-levels, get in some wider reading or exploration of your subjects outside the spec
also focus on the mini-assessments that are coming up
Ambiguous Super
Rep:
(Original post by _Mia101)
Honestly, there isn't really anything you need to prepare.

biology
Being strong with your GCSE knowledge is good but not necessary tbh as everything will be covered again. My main advice for bio would be to stay on top of everything as it can pile up quick

chemistry
being relatively confident on the bonds you've learnt at GCSEs and fundamentals of chemistry eg naming organic compounds and balancing equations will make your life easier when you come round to those topics but again the truth is year 12 content isn't that much of a step up from GCSEs assuming you are doing relatively well.

formula sheet
biology doesn't have a formula sheet.
chemistry does: http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/up...7405-sdb_2.pdf

conclusion
if you are working at a 7+ right now then don't worry too much just increase your confidence as from my experience most people who did well at GCSEs in their subjects (strong 8s and 9s) haven't struggled much at A-level as long as they haven't slacked too much
enjoy the time you have now. if you really want to "prepare" i'd say start looking at what you want to do post A-levels, get in some wider reading or exploration of your subjects outside the spec
also focus on the mini-assessments that are coming up
Thank youuuu ❤️❤️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads