The Student Room Group

University of Westminster or UAL (LCC) for Film?

I'm torn between choosing University of Westminster of University of the Arts London (London College of Communication) for doing Film / Film Practice. I am so intrigued by Westminster because of it's facilities, overall course structure and alumni / work experience. But I am also interested in UAL because of its location, it's prestigious and course structure as well... Overall I love both for almost the same reasons so I'm so unsure with which one to choose. Could anyone help? Specifically maybe those who go to either Uni and share their experience? Thank you so much!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by trissywissy
I'm torn between choosing University of Westminster of University of the Arts London (London College of Communication) for doing Film / Film Practice. I am so intrigued by Westminster because of it's facilities, overall course structure and alumni / work experience. But I am also interested in UAL because of its location, it's prestigious and course structure as well... Overall I love both for almost the same reasons so I'm so unsure with which one to choose. Could anyone help? Specifically maybe those who go to either Uni and share their experience? Thank you so much!

Hiya, I've applied to both those courses. I've received an unconditional from LCC and am interviewing w/ Westminster. If I get an offer from Westminster I'd choose them over LCC though it's a tough choice. For me personally the calibre of the films made by Westminster students just felt higher than anyone else, and their track record was more impressive than anyone else. This is of course just my opinion and I don't know what your experiences were with them but I've been to two in person Westminster open days and loved the vibe. LCC does look great though, from the course to the location and halls. Have you received an offer from both or are you in the middle of the application process?

Hi @trissywissy,

It is definitely a difficult choice when you like the course structure of the both Universities and everything else they would have to offer.I would suggest you reach out to the alumni on both the courses or see the work they have produced to understand which resonates with you more. LinkedIn and Dots might help you connect with past students from the two universities so you can ask them specific questions about their experience.

I also want to add that the LCC archive has all of Stanley Kubrick's works.The archive spans Kubrick's entire career from his time as a photographer for Look Magazine to his final film Eyes Wide Shut. Ual also offers strong industry links for students through the three years and more so to the final year students. Maybe the opportunities offered after graduating might help you in deciding the university, so definitely do a deep dive research into the alumni and I am sure you'll be able to decide which is more suited for you. Both of them are good choices in either case!

Good luck! :smile:
Best,
Ananya
Ual Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by unsure_student03
Hiya, I've applied to both those courses. I've received an unconditional from LCC and am interviewing w/ Westminster. If I get an offer from Westminster I'd choose them over LCC though it's a tough choice. For me personally the calibre of the films made by Westminster students just felt higher than anyone else, and their track record was more impressive than anyone else. This is of course just my opinion and I don't know what your experiences were with them but I've been to two in person Westminster open days and loved the vibe. LCC does look great though, from the course to the location and halls. Have you received an offer from both or are you in the middle of the application process?

Hey, I've received offers from both Unis. Westminsters more risky (as I need to get an A in film, but I'm currently at an A already and predicted it), whereas for LCC I could get as low as a C for film and get in. All I need to do is finalise my firm choice. I really love the vibe of Westminster as well, and LCC too... I'm leaning more towards UAL as I prefer a more hands on course I think and really prefer being in the city. Still deciding!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps
Hi @trissywissy,

It is definitely a difficult choice when you like the course structure of the both Universities and everything else they would have to offer.I would suggest you reach out to the alumni on both the courses or see the work they have produced to understand which resonates with you more. LinkedIn and Dots might help you connect with past students from the two universities so you can ask them specific questions about their experience.

I also want to add that the LCC archive has all of Stanley Kubrick's works.The archive spans Kubrick's entire career from his time as a photographer for Look Magazine to his final film Eyes Wide Shut. Ual also offers strong industry links for students through the three years and more so to the final year students. Maybe the opportunities offered after graduating might help you in deciding the university, so definitely do a deep dive research into the alumni and I am sure you'll be able to decide which is more suited for you. Both of them are good choices in either case!

Good luck! :smile:
Best,
Ananya
Ual Student Rep

Hi! I think I'm really leaning towards UAL now due to the hands on course and the industry links, as well as other factors... I like the location too as I applied to Universities in London for a reason. Although I know I'd be happy with Westminster too, I think UAL may be a better choice for me. Thats really intriguing as well, I read about the Kubrick archive! Would love to see it too.

Thank you for the reply!! Really helped a lot :smile:
Hey, I've received offers from both Unis. Westminsters more risky (as I need to get an A in film, but I'm currently at an A already and predicted it), whereas for LCC I could get as low as a C for film and get in. All I need to do is finalise my firm choice. I really love the vibe of Westminster as well, and LCC too... I'm leaning more towards UAL as I prefer a more hands on course I think and really prefer being in the city. Still deciding!

congrats on your offers! I just got my offer from Westminster and have accepted, can't wait to go there in September
Reply 6
Original post by unsure_student03
congrats on your offers! I just got my offer from Westminster and have accepted, can't wait to go there in September

Thats amazing! Congratulations, I wish you all the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending