nxxxxxxxxx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi , I’m an international student with not too much understanding of how all unis are seen , I am often a top Aimer and wanted to know if KCL is seen as an amazing institution a good one or meh ? At first u thought it was brilliant but now I’ve just heard a lot about it being not that good ... kind of disheartening but I need the truth
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Varies a bit depending on what you want to study and what you want to do after your degree. It's very highly regarded for law, psychology, neuroscience, and the biosciences as I understand, and has a good philosophy department. It's politics/political economy department is I think supposed to be quite good as well, and it has a fairly unique War Studies programme.

However it is I believe generally considered "semi-target" by investment banks and so less preferred compared to some other unis (e.g. UCL and LSE) by those. That said, investment banking roles are a tiny proportion of the overall range of graduate roles available so this isn't really much of a metric of anything, and is only relevant if that is your specific aim. Conversely I think for law it's quite highly regarded as indicated above, including by "top" city law firms, and so targeted for recruitment by those.

It also offers medical and dental programmes, which are as good as any other medical or dental course in the UK - these fields are essentially equal anywhere in the UK due to the highly regulated nature of the courses and very high entry requirements, everywhere. Also because the NHS (for medicine at least) has a monopoly on postgraduate training in the field and doesn't discriminate on the basis of where someone earned their medical degree, if it is GMC accredited.

So it really depends. That said, if you were looking to work in the UK after graduating at least, where you studied is usually less important than what relevant work experience/internships you gained during your degree, assuming you get at least a 2:1 or 1st overall in the degree.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (171)
41.71%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (61)
14.88%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (170)
41.46%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed