blooperbloobs
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
How much clothes should i take to university? I know thats a broad question so im a male, and plan to also go to lots of formal events.

I was thinking, 7 hoodies, 15 shirts, 5 jeans and 8 pairs of shoes. Maybe 3/4 suits?

Thanks in advance as i really have no clue how much i should bring.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Think about how often you want to visit the laundry (how often will you wash your bedding etc). If you will go weekly then you don’t need more than a week-10 days of clean clothes. You’ll just end up cluttering your room and transporting clothes you won’t wear.

Are you planning to attend formal events on consecutive days?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Don't think you're gonna need 4 suits mate. Like 1, maybe 2 max.
Desideri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I just took all my clothes. No point owning clothes 200 miles away... but then I think I might own less clothes in total than you’re planning to bring anyway

I agree with PQ about thinking about how often you want to do laundry though, and then packing a couple more days than that. Enough clothes for 10 days would allow you to do laundry once a week and have a few spares in case the laundry room sets on fire one day (or you’re just a bit busy).
yeetouttawindow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
how many times can you afford to go to the washer and drier a month think mine was £5.50 for wash and dry
then you know the minimum you need
you don't need 4 suits tho unless you're planning to wear suit almost everyday
Last edited by yeetouttawindow; 1 week ago
blooperbloobs
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Think about how often you want to visit the laundry (how often will you wash your bedding etc). If you will go weekly then you don’t need more than a week-10 days of clean clothes. You’ll just end up cluttering your room and transporting clothes you won’t wear.

Are you planning to attend formal events on consecutive days?
Possibly? I am more so worried about wearing the same suit quite a few times for formals.
blooperbloobs
Rep:
?
(Original post by yeetouttawindow)
how many times can you afford to go to the washer and drier a month think mine was £5.50 for wash and dry
then you know the minimum you need
you don't need 4 suits tho unless you're planning to wear suit almost everyday
But what about weekly or even biweekly formal events? Surely i wouldn't want to wear the same suits repeatedly.
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Way too much Your wardrobe is only going to be small.
Don't forget you're likely to go back for Christmas /Easter /potentially a weekend or two if you're that way inclined, so you can swap which clothes you take back to uni

I'd say shoes wise 4-5 maximum
- Slippers/sliders - your kitchen will be gross
- clubbing shoes (shoes you dont mind getting wrecked or dirty)
- Day to day shoes
- Whatever shoes you use for exercise
- Formal shoes - something you'd wear for an interview/the formal events you mention

- Your amount of jeans is fine
- hoodies - cut it down to 4
- shirts wise I'd pack 8 being honest, 10 maximum
(Original post by blooperbloobs)
But what about weekly or even biweekly formal events? Surely i wouldn't want to wear the same suits repeatedly.
I doubt anyone would actually notice
Imo regarding the suits take 2, then when you go back for Christmas / visit home, you can always pick up the other two if they're needed. Might be a good idea to take just the trousers from the other two suits though. If theres a chance the events arent as formal as you think you could always do a bit of mix and matching with the jeans, shirts, blazer in the mean time.
Last edited by Chronoscope; 1 week ago
barnet1471
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you think the formal events will happen, at least for your first year? Also what exercise/sport do you plan to do?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Possibly? I am more so worried about wearing the same suit quite a few times for formals.
You must've gone to some posh sixth form because no one is going to give a ****, notice, or care. Heck I don't even think I've met many 18 year olds with more than one suit. Having a single suit is fine. Two if it makes you more comfortable. You can just change your shirt/tie.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there!

My advice would be to take as many comfy clothes as you can! Most of the time, you'll be slouching around doing revision or writing essays - so the last thing you want to be is uncomfy! As well, don't worry about taking a specific amount of clothing to University as you can always buy some more when you actually get there. I actually did this, as my car to take my stuff to Uni was too small and it really worked out for me!

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
Googley_eyes
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Waaaay too much dude. You won’t fit that all in your wardrobe. You’d end up storing most of it folded up inside your bed (most uni beds have internal storage) and they’ll end up creased and depending on how nice the accommodation is, could potentially smell. I know my first uni accommodation had a mold and bug issue so most of my clothes had to be washed frequently to stop them from smelling. You couldn’t wash all of that frequently. And that accommodation was supposed to be really nice, uni websites over exaggerate on space and cleanliness etc, so be prepared for smaller spaces and not being able to fit much into your room.
Last edited by Googley_eyes; 1 week ago
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How much clothes should i take to university? I know thats a broad question so im a male, and plan to also go to lots of formal events.

I was thinking, 7 hoodies, 15 shirts, 5 jeans and 8 pairs of shoes. Maybe 3/4 suits?

2-3 suits max.

i would make sure you bring a few smart crew neck jumpers. and surely 4 jeans is enough
V℮rsions
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
:rofl: 4 suits man
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

A lot will depend on how much storage you have, in first year you generally dont have as much room (if you stay in halls).

15 tops (i.e shirts/polos/tee's) seems a good amount, but id bring more T-shirts and polos and just 2-3 shirts as for day-to-day stuff your probably not be in formal wear. (uni's are very casual dress standards).

7 hoodies seems excessive, if you have a house and have room then ok but in halls I think you'll struggle with room (you might also consider wider jumper provisions then just hoodies). Id say the same goes for shoes.

3/4 suits is just not needed, 1 will be fine, especially for first year.
Last edited by mnot; 1 week ago
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The way we did it was to pack enough for a '2 week holiday'. Then add your formal suits, and then bits and bobs like sliders. Over the door hanger as well is a good investment to hang your coats (dressing gown if taking one). Over the year you may buy some clothes along the way, so there's no need to pack too much.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Hi blooperbloobs,

I made the mistake of taking way too many clothes to uni. I think I had about two huge bags full to the brim of clothes that barely wore. In reality I only tend to wear about 5 or 6 outfits on rotation! Like other people have said, I think that 3-4 suits would be too much, so maybe start off with two. You also need to consider how much storage your room will have so you know if your clothes will actually fit in there!

Remember if you find that you take too little or too many, you can always send some clothes back home or ask people to send more clothes to you, so it isn't the end of the world if you don't get it right first time!

Hope this helps!

Lucy
yeetouttawindow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if biweekly formal events were going to happen then i would take 2 suits
what uni is this?
Last edited by yeetouttawindow; 1 week ago
Shadow17
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I prefer to wear clothes that I feel comfortable in. They are mostly jeans and T-shirts. Sometimes I read interesting blog articles and choose clothing options from there.
blooperbloobs
Rep:
?
(Original post by yeetouttawindow)
if biweekly formal events were going to happen then i would take 2 suits
what uni is this?
Durham, maybe UCL but i am leaning towards Durham now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (210)
42.94%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (75)
15.34%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (196)
40.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise