Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
As a Chinese myself, I am worried that I may get headbutted if I go to the uk for uni, after seeing similar events happening. Asians in US are protesting against it. My offers are Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield, all major cities.
Will I actually be treated like that in September? Will I get hurt by other people? What precautions will you suggest me to take?
On a side note, I still have another option in my country which is an unconditional (as I cannot miss the offer under notional ums for international spec now) with credit exemptions and scholarship. With this option I will come to the UK in a post-pandemic, post-racism world in 2025, with entry to masters.
Last edited by 8013; 1 week ago
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 8013)
As a Chinese myself, I am worried that I may get headbutted if I go to the uk for uni, after seeing similar events happening. Asians in US are protesting against it. My offers are Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield, all major cities.
Will I actually be treated like that in September? Will I get hurt by other people? What precautions will you suggest me to take?
On a side note, I still have another option in my country which is an unconditional (as I cannot miss the offer under notional ums for international spec now) with credit exemptions and scholarship. With this option I will come to the UK in a post-pandemic, post-racism world in 2025, with entry to masters.
I really don't think that you should worry about being headbutted. People aren't going to hurt you.

You have offers from three good Universities, by the way.

Which subject are you taking?
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Kerzen)
I really don't think that you should worry about being headbutted. People aren't going to hurt you.

You have offers from three good Universities, by the way.

Which subject are you taking?
Mechanical engineering, but I have placement options. My placement year is expected to be in 2023/24 or 2024/25. Will this racism actually happen to me at work?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 8013)
Mechanical engineering, but I have placement options. My placement year is expected to be in 2023/24 or 2024/25. Will this racism actually happen to me at work?
No a person would get sacked at work for racially abusing another person.
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 8013)
Yeah, getting headbutted isn't a thing in the UK. A number of laws and cultural norms say you don't really go round headbutting people

Unfortunately, every culture and country will have their share of racists, xenophobics, and people who can't think straight. All I can say is you are not likely to encounter that whilst in the UK. There are UK laws that can protect you from that, but like any law, it's not guaranteed. Culturally, there are outspoken people and social groups who deter other people from bullying, and it's one of the customs we have been brought up with. It's something I am grateful for.

If you choose to study in Manchester, there is a Chinatown there, but I wouldn't let that dictate your decision of which uni to apply to. I'd focus more on the reputation of the university and the quality of the course/teaching.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This isnt America. If you go to any city on the UK you will find large Asian populations from many different countries. Some of those communities have been here for literally hundreds of years and are well established and an important part of their city communities. Universities will not tolerate racism in any form - all have diverse communities (students and staff) and all are made welcome.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In all honesty you are more likely to be knocked over by a car than experience violence during a 3-4yr stay in the UK. Road traffic accidents are rarely reported/shared in the same way though. You have to bear in mind that many thousands of international students come to the UK without incident every year.

I appreciate that it is a worry, but I would not let it be the deciding factor in where to study.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (75)
4.74%
Uncertainty around my education (242)
15.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (172)
10.88%
Lack of purpose or motivation (223)
14.1%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (71)
4.49%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (92)
5.82%
Loneliness (139)
8.79%
Financial worries (56)
3.54%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (71)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (76)
4.81%
Lack of real life entertainment (82)
5.19%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (137)
8.67%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (145)
9.17%

Watched Threads