The Student Room Group

How long should I revise for?

my family have recently been telling me that I should be revising for at least 6-7 hours a day! Surely this isnt right?
Reply 1
General advice is to revise effectively in a short period of time. Such as testing yourself and then go through the stuff that you didn't do well on.
It's recommended that if you're going to be revising for a long amount of time then you will do, for example, an hour where you study with no distractions and then a 20-minute break and then another hour etc. I think your parents are wanting you to revise for 6-7 hours a day to replace school if you're on a break
Original post by izzy-stones
It's recommended that if you're going to be revising for a long amount of time then you will do, for example, an hour where you study with no distractions and then a 20-minute break and then another hour etc. I think your parents are wanting you to revise for 6-7 hours a day to replace school if you're on a break

Never thought about that really. Thank you for the advice!
Original post by Laurie Harrap
my family have recently been telling me that I should be revising for at least 6-7 hours a day! Surely this isnt right?

6-7 hours is too long. Even when you're at school you have breaks and time out, what subjects are you doing? Do you need to revise lots?
I do 20 hours revision a day. Only 3 hours sleep.
I would commit suicide if I fail. I got 2 A* and 2A's in A levels. I got into university despite appalling GCSE grades
I think you should do the Pomodoro method 25 min then 5 min break .Studies show you only concentrate for the first 25 mins so doing this in the the total 6 hours will help you concentrate more.
Original post by fooooooooood
I do 20 hours revision a day. Only 3 hours sleep.

You’re joking
Original post by tedibare
You’re joking

I study 24/7 minimum 18 hours, though usually 20 hours a day. I have no friends. I just study and get good grades. Or use netflix and youtube.
The is very subjective and totally depends on you. I’m at uni and in the break probably 7 hours revision is what I’m doing but you can do 7 hours with breaks and have some of the day

Quick Reply

Latest