ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Welcome to the grads applying to standard undergrad medicine 2022 entry thread.

Other useful threads
Medical Schools Index 2022 entry (for specific med school entry discussions):
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6962492
Undergrad Medicine 2022 entry discussion: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6545350
GEM 2022 entry discussion: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6100344
UCAT 2022 entry discussion: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6864776
BMAT 2022 entry discussion: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6864748
GAMSAT 2021 / 2022 entry discussion: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6429934

Previous grads applying to A100 threads
2021 entry: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6653952

Template for the thread
Applied:
UCAT:
BMAT:
GAMSAT:
Achieved A-Levels/Access course: (if relevant to the entry requirements for the university you are applying to, if not leave it blank)
Predicted / achieved degree:

University 1 / UCAS code
Date: (date) | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: (date) | Reply: Interview invite
Date: (date) | Reply: Offer / Rejection

University 2 / UCAS code

University 3 / UCAS code

University 4 / UCAS code

Firm:
Insurance:

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Last edited by ecolier; 3 months ago
msean97
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by shortguy)
Yo
Applied: 30/09/2020
UCAT: 2570 Band 2
BMAT: hell naw
GAMSAT: bruh stop
Achieved A-Levels/Access course: AAB + B in AS physics
achieved degree: 2:1 MEng Chemical engineering

Leicester / A100

UEA / A100
Date: (19/01/2020) | Reply: Rejection

Sunderland / A100
Date: (16/11/2020) | Reply: Interview invite
Date: (date) | Reply: Offer!!!

HYMS / A100
Date: (23/11/2020) | Reply: Rejection (pre interview)

just wanted to know if I've made good/strategic decisions regarding my choice of medical schools. I think according to my UCAS I can still change my unis, so I was wondering if they are any other unis I should have considered given my academic background and UCAT score. Thanks
What kind of work experience did you have?
shortguy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by msean97)
What kind of work experience did you have?
Judging by your post history you are an Imperial grad who did maths/stem. When applying for a100 undergrad courses honestly all you need is good grades and a good UCAT score. For work experience I only did observe GP and BSMS virtual work experience which were both online platforms. I did coach sport whilst I was at uni and I used to volunteer for a blood cancer charity but I have had ZERO in person work experience in a care setting. During my interview they barely asked about any of it and didn’t actually check that my work experience wasn’t fabricated/made up which did disappoint me tbf but I was too fussed. However, when it comes to A101 GEM courses which it seem you want to do, the work experience part of you application becomes very important, they will ask for receipts. Care homes/ hospitals/ gp clinics or anything in a care capacity will do. The exact amount of experience you need for GEM varies per institution. I know Warwick wants at least 70 hours across two different care settings.
meghan007
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hello Everyone, thanks for whoever created this thread.

I already have a 1st class degree, but I have bad A-levels. If applying for A100 would Barts look at my UCAT score and degree, or would they still expect me to have A-Levels.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks
gradxmed
Badges: 8
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by meghan007)
Hello Everyone, thanks for whoever created this thread.

I already have a 1st class degree, but I have bad A-levels. If applying for A100 would Barts look at my UCAT score and degree, or would they still expect me to have A-Levels.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks
It depends on what subject your degree was in. If there was sufficient biology and chemistry, they don't consider your A-levels, only your degree classification and UCAT score. You can check whether your degree qualifies using Barts' degree checker (https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergrad...s/acceptquals/). I got into the A100 course at Barts with bad A-levels but a 1st class predicted degree in a bioscience subject, so it's definitely possible!
Last edited by gradxmed; 3 months ago
meghan007
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
thanks for responding, my degree is classed has sufficient.

can I ask, how do pay for the 5year course. I heard that we can apply for a student loan, and use that money to pay for the degree, is that correct?

also, did you apply to the a101 course at barts. how was your ucat score? sorry for all the questions. xx
Last edited by meghan007; 3 months ago
ecolier
Rep:
?
...can I ask, how do pay for the 5year course. I heard that we can apply for a student loan, and use that money to pay for the degree, is that correct?...
Can't answer your other question, but grads applying to do standard undergrad medicine will have to pay the £9250 per year upfront (i.e. you have to pay it - could be in instalments, and it's not "paid" by Student Finance only for you to owe it in the form of a tuition fee loan).

After 4th year the NHS bursary will pay your £9250 - so the last year if a 5 year course, or the last 2 years if you're doing a 6 year course.

However, you are eligible for a means-test maintenance loan which could potentially be just above the £9250. It could cover the tuition fee but you'd also need to think about your living costs.

This is a reason why many grads prefer GEM if they can, because even though it is more competitive it is much more affordable.
gradxmed
Badges: 8
Report 3 months ago
also, did you apply to the a101 course at barts. how was your ucat score? sorry for all the questions. xx
Just to add onto what ecolier said, I know some grads who use their maintenance loan to cover the tuition fee and work part time (and/or live at home) to pay for living costs.

I only applied to the A100 course at Barts (for 2020 entry) and my UCAT was 2920.
Last edited by gradxmed; 3 months ago
meghan007
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Can't answer your other question, but grads applying to do standard undergrad medicine will have to pay the £9250 per year upfront (i.e. you have to pay it - could be in instalments, and it's not "paid" by Student Finance only for you to owe it in the form of a tuition fee loan).

After 4th year the NHS bursary will pay your £9250 - so the last year if a 5 year course, or the last 2 years if you're doing a 6 year course.

However, you are eligible for a means-test maintenance loan which could potentially be just above the £9250. It could cover the tuition fee but you'd also need to think about your living costs.

This is a reason why many grads prefer GEM if they can, because even though it is more competitive it is much more affordable.
Thanks.

Ideally I want to get on for GEM.

But I am so keen to start in 2022, that I think I would take an under graduate place.

Mainly, due to my age *yikes* I will be a very mature student.

I am trying to save as much money as possible now.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Thanks.

Ideally I want to get on for GEM.

But I am so keen to start in 2022, that I think I would take an under graduate place.

Mainly, due to my age *yikes* I will be a very mature student.

I am trying to save as much money as possible now.
Sure, and there are many mature students who will work alongside their studies - it would be easy during your pre-clinical phase.

:goodluck:
meghan007
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The Pre-clinical years on the 5 year course, are year 1 and 2.

What about for GEM, is it just year 1?
msean97
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by shortguy)
Judging by your post history you are an Imperial grad who did maths/stem. When applying for a100 undergrad courses honestly all you need is good grades and a good UCAT score. For work experience I only did observe GP and BSMS virtual work experience which were both online platforms. I did coach sport whilst I was at uni and I used to volunteer for a blood cancer charity but I have had ZERO in person work experience in a care setting. During my interview they barely asked about any of it and didn’t actually check that my work experience wasn’t fabricated/made up which did disappoint me tbf but I was too fussed. However, when it comes to A101 GEM courses which it seem you want to do, the work experience part of you application becomes very important, they will ask for receipts. Care homes/ hospitals/ gp clinics or anything in a care capacity will do. The exact amount of experience you need for GEM varies per institution. I know Warwick wants at least 70 hours across two different care settings.
Thanks for your reply.

I'll try and get as much work experience as I can. What exactly constitutes as good grades? I have a 2:1 for maths undergrad, currently on course for a distinction in an unrelated masters, and had A*AAB in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry respectively, although the A in physics was after a resit, got a B the first time round.
ecolier
Rep:
?
The Pre-clinical years on the 5 year course, are year 1 and 2.

What about for GEM, is it just year 1?
It's not necessarily Years 1 and 2 for all med schools.

But as a rule of thumb, if a med school does both graduate entry medicine and standard undergrad medicine it will usually be the pre-clinical phase that's shortened / compressed by a year (e.g. 2.5 years to 1.5 years) and the clinical phase will remain the same length.
lastlullabyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I've been through application process in 2020/2021 cycle but applied for a deferred entry so starting A100 at Glasgow in September 2022 happy to help with any questions - especially if anyone's applying to Glasgow or Aberdeen (got offers from both)
Last edited by lastlullabyy; 3 months ago
msean97
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for your reply.

I'll try and get as much work experience as I can. What exactly constitutes as good grades? I have a 2:1 for maths undergrad, currently on course for a distinction in an unrelated masters, and had A*AAB in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry respectively, although the A in physics was after a resit, got a B the first time round.
Hey,
ecolier

Would you be able to help me with this please? Would really appreciate any help/advice.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Hey,
ecolier

Would you be able to help me with this please? Would really appreciate any help/advice.
Have a read through: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...hools-2021.pdf

If your first degree wasn't in Life Sciences you may find that med schools will ask for A-Levels in Chemistry +/- Biology. However most won't ask for AAA (except Cambridge).
msean97
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Have a read through: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...hools-2021.pdf

If your first degree wasn't in Life Sciences you may find that med schools will ask for A-Levels in Chemistry +/- Biology. However most won't ask for AAA (except Cambridge).
Thank you for responding. I fortunately do have A-level Chemistry at B level. Just wondering if most unis discriminate against 1sts vs 2:1s and A-level grades IF they don't mention that they do? Trying to figure out if I stand a realistic chance of being able to secure a place on an A100 course as a graduate?
lastlullabyy
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you for responding. I fortunately do have A-level Chemistry at B level. Just wondering if most unis discriminate against 1sts vs 2:1s and A-level grades IF they don't mention that they do? Trying to figure out if I stand a realistic chance of being able to secure a place on an A100 course as a graduate?
I got offers from Glasgow and Aberdeen with MSc with Merit, 2.1 and really crappy IB results (34 points, with 654 at higher level)
ecolier
Rep:
?
Mark sure there isn't a grading scheme - because even if you meet the minimum entry requirements some med schools may still give those with 1st class more points over 2:1.

I am not a GEM / grads applying to standard undergrad medicine expert so don't know.
Bexjw
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It’s the first time I’ve considered a 5 year/ A100 course as a graduate. Currently debating between Exeter and Plymouth as an option. Depending on my UCAT score and chance with Warwick A101, I may apply to both, although I’m leaning more towards Exeter at the moment.

Hoping to really up my GAMSAT game this year but can never tell when you apply blind (September sitting)! 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (11)
6.08%
Uncertainty around my education (20)
11.05%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (20)
11.05%
Lack of purpose or motivation (27)
14.92%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (11)
6.08%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.87%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (15)
8.29%
Financial worries (10)
5.52%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (5)
2.76%
Exposure to negative news/social media (14)
7.73%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (5)
2.76%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (22)
12.15%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (14)
7.73%

Watched Threads