The Student Room Group

Should I learn programing (e.g: c or c++) as a non stem student?

In yr 12 rn, thinking about if i should finally just start to learn programing languages like c or c++.

I am mainly interested in becoming an accountant or lawyer, but not really studying any stem alevels (doing english, history and psychology) so i wonder if coding is worth doing on the side, but also if it will be a bad mix with the subjects im doing rn.

Also as an accountant ive heard having skills in SQL or microsoft excel for very useful, should i learn these as oppose to the coding languages??
Were there any specific reasons you named C & C++, or were these just examples of languages you've heard of?
I ask, because I was wondering if you had already researched their usage and determined these to be of value.

If not, perhaps start with Python 3? I feel it would be a good language to learn for things like filtering information from large documents or running financial calculations. You specifically mentioned SQL- this would also probably be valuable if you feel your prospective industry can utilise these. SQL itself is fairly straight forward to learn, and is something you would use in conjunction with another language (such as Python, as mentioned before).
Reply 2
Original post by 48Percent
Were there any specific reasons you named C & C++, or were these just examples of languages you've heard of?
I ask, because I was wondering if you had already researched their usage and determined these to be of value.

If not, perhaps start with Python 3? I feel it would be a good language to learn for things like filtering information from large documents or running financial calculations. You specifically mentioned SQL- this would also probably be valuable if you feel your prospective industry can utilise these. SQL itself is fairly straight forward to learn, and is something you would use in conjunction with another language (such as Python, as mentioned before).

Ty. Ive attempted to learn python in the past but never got far enough with it (for several reasons). As to why i mentioned c/c++, my dad is a software engineer and had suggested i learned them several times, and are really similar too C. However from my research python skills seemed to be alot more pursued these days so i might aswell starting learning it proper
go for python
Reply 4
Go for Python, it's ubiquitous these days and you'll be able to reach results quickly. I have friends who do Maths, Economics, Statistics and they all had to use Python at some point. I don't think either C or C++ will benefit you, especially because you don't plan to pursue a Computer Science career. They are both extremely difficult to learn and they will overwhelm you, unless you have previous programming experience or know how computers work. On the other hand, if you do understand them, then you have basically learned all OO languages.
Original post by HueySE
Go for Python, it's ubiquitous these days and you'll be able to reach results quickly. I have friends who do Maths, Economics, Statistics and they all had to use Python at some point. I don't think either C or C++ will benefit you, especially because you don't plan to pursue a Computer Science career. They are both extremely difficult to learn and they will overwhelm you, unless you have previous programming experience or know how computers work. On the other hand, if you do understand them, then you have basically learned all OO languages.

agreed
Reply 6
As others have said C and C++ wouldn't be the way to go. You'll need to know Excel inside and out. If you branch out from accounting, the Python and SQL will definitely come in handy. Python is a pretty easy language to start with. There are loads of free online courses available too and a huge online community for when you need help.
Original post by MonoAno555
In yr 12 rn, thinking about if i should finally just start to learn programing languages like c or c++.

I am mainly interested in becoming an accountant or lawyer, but not really studying any stem alevels (doing english, history and psychology) so i wonder if coding is worth doing on the side, but also if it will be a bad mix with the subjects im doing rn.

Also as an accountant ive heard having skills in SQL or microsoft excel for very useful, should i learn these as oppose to the coding languages??

I wanna be an accountant too! Where can I learn python though?
Original post by Oceanwater
I wanna be an accountant too! Where can I learn python though?

codecademy.com
Original post by MonoAno555

I still think that it is worth learning Python and CC+ programming languages, because additional knowledge will not hurt. If you're done with Python, you can easily switch to another programming language
Original post by bobifrank
I still think that it is worth learning Python and CC+ programming languages, because additional knowledge will not hurt. If you're done with Python, you can easily switch to another programming language

This thread is over a year old.
Agree with the folks above, go for Python and learn MS Excel in and out (pivots, power queries, macros). Actually even knowing Excel to an advanced level is already considered great. If you can also write macros to automate some data manipulation tasks you'll be praised like a god at the workplace I promise. People make careers out of Excel and SAP knowledge.
Python will help with manipulating and analysing huge portions of data and is by a large margin more efficient than Excel.

And then if and only if you have a strong personally driven passion for programming only then approach C++/C# or whatever else, but regardless stay away from C. C is primarily used for low level programming microcontrollers, which is electronic engineering and firmware development domain. Nothing to do with accounting or law. Even if you want to occasionally play with some electronics in your own time just get yourself an Arduino or Raspberry Pi.
C/C++ is also utilised for database management, but unless you have extensive experience developing and managing databases with a relevant Computer Science degree I wouldn't follow that path if I were you. Simply don't waste your time on that.

TLDR: Excel > Python > everything else.

Original post by 48Percent
This thread is over a year old.

Damnit, I got caught again, should've paid attention to the age of the thread before getting engaged in the dead conversation, smh.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ThatguyAl
Damnit, I got caught again, should've paid attention to the age of the thread before getting engaged in the dead conversation, smh.

Yes, it is incredibly frustrating. The user above addititionally responded to a thread that was 8 years old. Hopefully they understand why this is a problem - not just for users being notified of old threads that they were part of, but for other members then continuing discussions for no reason.
Rather, protection against spammers is needed here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending