Will there be university open days for this year?

Watch
Jlynchy1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Seeing that we're starting to come out of lockdown, do you think unis will do offer holder open days again? Im mainly interested in Exeter and Durham possibly doing them.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes - very likely.

Unis are certainly planning 'if at all possible' - they know the impact of an 'in-person' visit and how much better this is than 'virtual'. They are not going to announce anything until its totally clear that covid conditions mean they can actually run them. They dont want to take bookings and then have to cancel everything.

Just keep an eye on the websites - or just order a prospectus from each Uni website and that usually puts you on their mailing list.
Last edited by McGinger; 1 week ago
Jlynchy1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Yes - very likely.

Unis are certainly planning 'if at all possible' - they know the impact of an 'in-person' visit and how much better this is than 'virtual'. They are not going to announce anything until its totally clear that covid conditions mean they can actually run them. They dont want to take bookings and then have to cancel everything.

Just keep an eye on the websites - or just order a prospectus from each Uni website and that usually puts you on their mailing list.
Thanks a lot this is reassuring. I hate bother you anymore but do you have any idea when they might plan to have these if they end up doing so? I only ask because I can only imagine it being sometime after the final restriction is lifted in May which won't leave much time left before people have to make a firm choice on their offers.
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Best to contact the unis directly and ask. I think come Sept there will be open days again.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jlynchy1)
Thanks a lot this is reassuring. I hate bother you anymore but do you have any idea when they might plan to have these if they end up doing so? I only ask because I can only imagine it being sometime after the final restriction is lifted in May which won't leave much time left before people have to make a firm choice on their offers.
The situation is so uncertain nobody really knows. A gut feeling I have is that post offer days will be in May and you have until June this year to make a decision . I dont know about Durham but Exeter is in one of the lowest covid areas in the UK so might be able to arrange them sooner rather than later. Students will be returning after 12 April and at that stage people are free to travel and stay in places. Open days will need organisation and will need ambassadors. There may be problems with ambassadors taking exams. There is nothing preventing you visiting the university outside open days just to look around. You might not be able to get in to the buildings but at lease you will be able to get a feel for the campus and area.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (76)
4.77%
Uncertainty around my education (244)
15.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (175)
10.98%
Lack of purpose or motivation (225)
14.12%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (71)
4.45%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (93)
5.83%
Loneliness (139)
8.72%
Financial worries (57)
3.58%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (72)
4.52%
Exposure to negative news/social media (77)
4.83%
Lack of real life entertainment (83)
5.21%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (137)
8.59%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (145)
9.1%

Watched Threads