First car help :(

Watch
s.norman182
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm not sure what car to pick for my first. I'd love to have a car that isn't too expensive (below £4K) and has good mpg and is relatively 'eco'. I've been thinking about a Kia Picanto (the model post 2012) but I also like a Peugeot 107/Citroen C1.
Do you have any suggestions?
virgil1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How old are you and how much do you have to spend on insurance? I’m guessing ~17-20 and not a massive amount.

You’re probably looking at the best first cars economy and insurance wise although they’re a bit small for motorway runs which I’d prefer a fiesta/polo/Rio size but that’s going to be a lot higher insurance for a new driver.

On the same lines and the C1/108 you could also look at the aygo (same platform as C1/108) or the Citigo/Mii/Up! (All same platform) or the Ford KA.

All these cars should be relatively reliable and economical to drive although obviously you get individual examples that aren’t. Personally I don’t like the Pug 108 as due to being a fat barsteward and no height adjustment in the wheel it sits on my legs. I loved driving the Citigo when I had one on loan as a courtesy car as it was fantastic fun but I wouldn’t want to do a long journey in it.

If you can stretch to the next size up (Rio,Fiesta,Polo etc) you’ll have a much better experience for longer runs but it’s all about budget.

I would suggest getting on the insurance comparison sites running car details from autotrader etc and seeing what you can afford then searching the web for reliability reports etc. Finally see if you can get a test drive before you buy - covid makes this difficult but it’s still important.

Good luck.
Last edited by virgil1; 2 weeks ago
HorribleHatty
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I loved my C1. It was tiny, the boot was almost comically small, but a great little run around.

Very few insurers work purely on groups. I used to work in insurance and you might find that something like a Dacia Sandero is far cheaper to insure than the usual “first cars”. I have had a Dacia for a few years now and they are loud on the motorway but other than that I have no complaints. It’s been very reliable for me, no MOT issues. The only time it’s been in the garage has been for new tyres. They are owned by...Renault (I think) and they use a lot of their components.

I’d run a few cars on comparison sites for a rough idea, with the reg number if you can see it in listings and are genuinely considering buying it. The information held on the reg can make a big difference in quotes.
Yazzy77
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I can’t afford a scooter lmao
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (194)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (560)
14.56%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (430)
11.18%
Lack of purpose or motivation (530)
13.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (190)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (232)
6.03%
Loneliness (323)
8.4%
Financial worries (141)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (151)
3.93%
Exposure to negative news/social media (172)
4.47%
Lack of real life entertainment (218)
5.67%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (343)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (361)
9.39%

Watched Threads