stickylikehoney
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, Can I get some advice from secondary English teachers about becoming a teacher?
alexlilley
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m not a secondary school teacher myself but it was a career that I wanted for a very long time and a few friends of mine have recently graduated from their PGCEs, with a few getting jobs in schools recently. What did you want advice on specifically?
stickylikehoney
Rep:
?
(Original post by alexlilley)
I’m not a secondary school teacher myself but it was a career that I wanted for a very long time and a few friends of mine have recently graduated from their PGCEs, with a few getting jobs in schools recently. What did you want advice on specifically?
Do you think it is important to have read all the classics / cannon to be an English Lit teacher?
I want to find a husband and get married as I'm 30 do you think it is silly to want to do this before the PGCE
I have PCOS and I struggle with my weight do you find it easy to keep yourweight down as teacher? Also I've put on a ton of weight cos its lockdown I'm worried about jumping into the PGCE ASAP cos I don't feel good - I feel overweight and lethargic I want to lose weight and feel fresh before I do it
I just want advice as I'm 31 in December I want to do things in my life like settle and get married and lose weight - I'm worried teaching is gonna get in the way of this
alexlilley
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by stickylikehoney)
Do you think it is important to have read all the classics / cannon to be an English Lit teacher?
I want to find a husband and get married as I'm 30 do you think it is silly to want to do this before the PGCE
I have PCOS and I struggle with my weight do you find it easy to keep yourweight down as teacher? Also I've put on a ton of weight cos its lockdown I'm worried about jumping into the PGCE ASAP cos I don't feel good - I feel overweight and lethargic I want to lose weight and feel fresh before I do it
I just want advice as I'm 31 in December I want to do things in my life like settle and get married and lose weight - I'm worried teaching is gonna get in the way of this
If you’re more concerned about your weight and relationship status I would definitely consider for you to work on yourself and take some self-care before you think you can undertake a postgraduate degree as it is very tasking. The happier you are with yourself then the easier it will be to jump back into education.

I’d say it’s fairly important to have a fair amount of reading under your belt to be an English teacher at secondary level as you’ll be teaching lots of classics such as Shakespeare, the Romantics, the Modernists and so on. Most, if not all secondary English teachers have an undergraduate degree in English, whether its Language, Literature or both. You will need this first before doing your PGCE.

As for teaching getting in the way of life milestones, it won’t stop you from having a social life. You’ll work long hours, be expected to help with parents evenings and extra curricular activities, you’ll end up doing marking and preparing lessons outside of your working hours and there’s a lot of stress that comes with being a teacher but, if you’re passionate about it, you’ll enjoy it and see the worth in it. Please don’t pursue a career in teaching just because you like children because secondary school students aren’t children, nor do they like you treating them like children most of the time. You can still find love and pursue your desires once becoming a teacher. Growing up, I had a number of teachers who came back from the summer or Christmas holidays and announced they were now married, and I had a handful of teachers who announced pregnancies during the school year. You just need to try and give yourself as decent of a work/life balance as you can in that line of work.
stickylikehoney
Rep:
?
If you’re more concerned about your weight and relationship status I would definitely consider for you to work on yourself and take some self-care before you think you can undertake a postgraduate degree as it is very tasking. The happier you are with yourself then the easier it will be to jump back into education.

I’d say it’s fairly important to have a fair amount of reading under your belt to be an English teacher at secondary level as you’ll be teaching lots of classics such as Shakespeare, the Romantics, the Modernists and so on. Most, if not all secondary English teachers have an undergraduate degree in English, whether its Language, Literature or both. You will need this first before doing your PGCE.

As for teaching getting in the way of life milestones, it won’t stop you from having a social life. You’ll work long hours, be expected to help with parents evenings and extra curricular activities, you’ll end up doing marking and preparing lessons outside of your working hours and there’s a lot of stress that comes with being a teacher but, if you’re passionate about it, you’ll enjoy it and see the worth in it. Please don’t pursue a career in teaching just because you like children because secondary school students aren’t children, nor do they like you treating them like children most of the time. You can still find love and pursue your desires once becoming a teacher. Growing up, I had a number of teachers who came back from the summer or Christmas holidays and announced they were now married, and I had a handful of teachers who announced pregnancies during the school year. You just need to try and give yourself as decent of a work/life balance as you can in that line of work.
I hear lots of mixed things about teaching. Lots of people say its very tiring and hard work, but not everyone.
Some people also told me they thought it was really fun, no more stressful than any other job and you get good holidays
not everyone says its horrendously stressful!
Some people told me they enjoyed the PGCE and thought it was fun!

That's great advice - COVID has slowed everything down too.
Once the crisis is over I'm gonna hit the gym n look for a husband and read all the classics!
Then maybe I'll do the PGCE in a few years
alexlilley
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I hear lots of mixed things about teaching. Lots of people say its very tiring and hard work, but not everyone.
Some people also told me they thought it was really fun, no more stressful than any other job and you get good holidays
not everyone says its horrendously stressful!
Some people told me they enjoyed the PGCE and thought it was fun!

That's great advice - COVID has slowed everything down too.
Once the crisis is over I'm gonna hit the gym n look for a husband and read all the classics!
Then maybe I'll do the PGCE in a few years
Do you have an undergraduate degree in English? Make sure you start off with that, as you won't be able to qualify as a secondary school English teacher without an undergraduate degree in the relevant field of study.
Good luck.
stickylikehoney
Rep:
?
Do you have an undergraduate degree in English? Make sure you start off with that, as you won't be able to qualify as a secondary school English teacher without an undergraduate degree in the relevant field of study.
Good luck.
mate I have BA English literature and Italian 2:2
and MA English literature merit
Do your friends like being teachers
People say such mixed things - some love it some hate it. Some say its so stressful others are like its so fun and the holidays are awesome
alexlilley
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
mate I have BA English literature and Italian 2:2
and MA English literature merit
Do your friends like being teachers
People say such mixed things - some love it some hate it. Some say its so stressful others are like its so fun and the holidays are awesome
Oh that's good, I don't really look at people's qualifications or anything on their profiles and tend to ask personally. Only a few of my friends have taken the secondary route, it's quite intimidating trying to teach teenagers when you're still in your early 20's. The majority of my teaching friends have taken primary route. I've been told secondary can be an easier ride as there's less lesson planning since you're only teaching one subject (although, this depends on the size of the school. You might have a mammoth amount of lesson planning to do if you're teaching English to every year group), but a hell of a lot more marking as you teach multiple year groups and are preparing up to four of those year groups for exams. However there's more risk, of course, as teenagers are mini adult/children hybrids and are pretty unpredictable. However the pay as a newly qualified teacher can be pretty crap, a lot of new secondary teachers, even experienced ones I know, take up temporary jobs in the summer.

You might not need to do a PGCE as you already have an MA. Might be worth to sign up for information on the Get into Teaching government site to find out what course you need to take, you might not need to do the whole package
Last edited by alexlilley; 1 week ago
stickylikehoney
Rep:
?
Oh that's good, I don't really look at people's qualifications or anything on their profiles and tend to ask personally. Only a few of my friends have taken the secondary route, it's quite intimidating trying to teach teenagers when you're still in your early 20's. The majority of my teaching friends have taken primary route. I've been told secondary can be an easier ride as there's less lesson planning since you're only teaching one subject (although, this depends on the size of the school. You might have a mammoth amount of lesson planning to do if you're teaching English to every year group), but a hell of a lot more marking as you teach multiple year groups and are preparing up to four of those year groups for exams. However there's more risk, of course, as teenagers are mini adult/children hybrids and are pretty unpredictable. However the pay as a newly qualified teacher can be pretty crap, a lot of new secondary teachers, even experienced ones I know, take up temporary jobs in the summer.

You might not need to do a PGCE as you already have an MA. Might be worth to sign up for information on the Get into Teaching government site to find out what course you need to take, you might not need to do the whole package
Ok I'll have a look
I wanna get married I'm bored of being 30 and single I wanna have a big wedding and honeymoon and then do myPGCE
I wanna be a size 10 for my wedding, I don't wanna do the PGCE now I wanna get married first and lose weight and then do it! LOL
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (171)
41.71%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (61)
14.88%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (170)
41.46%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise