Fay40
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am currently in six form. I am unsure on what course I want to study in university. Can anyone help please
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It would help if you shared your A level subjects and your interests.
Fay40
Rep:
?
(Original post by mike23mike)
It would help if you shared your A level subjects and your interests.
Hey, I study maths, geography and economics. I really enjoy studying A level geography especially the human geography.
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fay40)
Hey, I study maths, geography and economics. I really enjoy studying A level geography especially the human geography.
Do you have any idea what you want to do after uni?

Your combination of A Level subjects also seem oddly specific.

After looking at a number of geography degree courses, you should have the essential subjects for virtually any university, provided you get the right grades. (Some surpisingly require a science though, but luckily most consider maths a relevant science.)
Even with economics, you have all the necessary subjects for most courses (a disadvantage if you don't have further maths with some uni though).
You can then apply for any other subject that do not require any specific subjects e.g. Law, or any subjects that require maths e.g. computer science (with math degrees, some places expect you to have further maths).

What was it about human geography that you like? If it was the descriptive element, you should look for a more descriptive degree.
If it was about the fact that you look more into the human side of things, then consider a degree in the social sciences with less math content (unless you enjoy using math equations to arrive at answers or to demonstrate models, or need a more mathematical degree for getting research positions). The less mathematical degrees are usually either MAs or BAs, where they don't focus as much on research.

I'm not a particular fan of degrees that aren't specifically required to go into certain professions or provide you with an advantage upon graduation e.g. if you want to go into medicine, you need to study medicine; if you want to become an economist, you need a degree in economics; if you intend to apply for the armed forces, you should do a geography degree to shorten the route to a promotion. There will be plenty of jobs that asks for just any degree, so that's something you need to think about. Unless you intend to study the degree to be a teacher in a specific subject, then I would think more carefully about it.
If you do intend to go into a particular profession, be aware of whether the degree can be accredited by regulatory bodies or professional societies e.g. if you intend to go into BioMed as a career, the degree should be accredited by the IBMS in order for you to enter the profession. In some cases, it's not a necessity for certain jobs, so you might want to check on the National Careers Service for the official requirements (Prospects and TargetJobs can be good alternatives for career advice and requirements).
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How to Chose a Uni subject : https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...-what-to-study

Btw, you have until Jan 2022 to make this decision - no need to panic just yet.
Fay40
Rep:
?
(Original post by MindMax2000)
Do you have any idea what you want to do after uni?

Your combination of A Level subjects also seem oddly specific.

After looking at a number of geography degree courses, you should have the essential subjects for virtually any university, provided you get the right grades. (Some surpisingly require a science though, but luckily most consider maths a relevant science.)
Even with economics, you have all the necessary subjects for most courses (a disadvantage if you don't have further maths with some uni though).
You can then apply for any other subject that do not require any specific subjects e.g. Law, or any subjects that require maths e.g. computer science (with math degrees, some places expect you to have further maths).

What was it about human geography that you like? If it was the descriptive element, you should look for a more descriptive degree.
If it was about the fact that you look more into the human side of things, then consider a degree in the social sciences with less math content (unless you enjoy using math equations to arrive at answers or to demonstrate models, or need a more mathematical degree for getting research positions). The less mathematical degrees are usually either MAs or BAs, where they don't focus as much on research.

I'm not a particular fan of degrees that aren't specifically required to go into certain professions or provide you with an advantage upon graduation e.g. if you want to go into medicine, you need to study medicine; if you want to become an economist, you need a degree in economics; if you intend to apply for the armed forces, you should do a geography degree to shorten the route to a promotion. There will be plenty of jobs that asks for just any degree, so that's something you need to think about. Unless you intend to study the degree to be a teacher in a specific subject, then I would think more carefully about it.
If you do intend to go into a particular profession, be aware of whether the degree can be accredited by regulatory bodies or professional societies e.g. if you intend to go into BioMed as a career, the degree should be accredited by the IBMS in order for you to enter the profession. In some cases, it's not a necessity for certain jobs, so you might want to check on the National Careers Service for the official requirements (Prospects and TargetJobs can be good alternatives for career advice and requirements).
I really appreciate your response thank you .
To answer your questions I am not sure what I want to do after uni which is why I am think of doing a course in university that is not specifically required to go
into a certain profession like you mentioned.
And yes, I like human geography because it is more into the human side of things. I will look into degrees in the social sciences like you recommended. And once again thank you for you help.
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fay40)
I really appreciate your response thank you .
To answer your questions I am not sure what I want to do after uni which is why I am think of doing a course in university that is not specifically required to go
into a certain profession like you mentioned.
And yes, I like human geography because it is more into the human side of things. I will look into degrees in the social sciences like you recommended. And once again thank you for you help.
Sorry, just to clarify:
If you pick a degree subject that allows you to go into a specific profession, you have the advantage of going into that profession + any profession that asks for any degree. However, you can't always do a random degree and expect to enter a specific profession e.g. you can do a medicine degree to become a doctor + any job that asks for any random degree, but you can't become a doctor by doing a degree in say History even though you can apply to any job that asks for any degree.
Legally speaking, there are only a handful of occupations that require specific degrees in order to do them, due to how regulated the sectors are.

Unfortunately, there is also a preference for graduates with more quantitative degrees than those with more descriptive degrees, and quantitative degrees can allow you to enter fields that either ask for a quantitative degree and those that don't.

Please bear these pointers in mind when choosing your degree, and the level of competition involved with graduate level jobs.
Fay40
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by MindMax2000)
Sorry, just to clarify:
If you pick a degree subject that allows you to go into a specific profession, you have the advantage of going into that profession + any profession that asks for any degree. However, you can't always do a random degree and expect to enter a specific profession e.g. you can do a medicine degree to become a doctor + any job that asks for any random degree, but you can't become a doctor by doing a degree in say History even though you can apply to any job that asks for any degree.
Legally speaking, there are only a handful of occupations that require specific degrees in order to do them, due to how regulated the sectors are.

Unfortunately, there is also a preference for graduates with more quantitative degrees than those with more descriptive degrees, and quantitative degrees can allow you to enter fields that either ask for a quantitative degree and those that don't.

Please bear these pointers in mind when choosing your degree, and the level of competition involved with graduate level jobs.
Thank you for clarifying. I would keep this in mind as I continue researching for a course to study at uni. You have been of great help really appreciate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (73)
4.69%
Uncertainty around my education (238)
15.28%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (169)
10.85%
Lack of purpose or motivation (221)
14.18%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (69)
4.43%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (91)
5.84%
Loneliness (138)
8.86%
Financial worries (54)
3.47%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (70)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (75)
4.81%
Lack of real life entertainment (81)
5.2%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (135)
8.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (144)
9.24%

Watched Threads