accommodation rent higher than maintenance loan

Watch
Em1lyja
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kerzen)
Adding to my earlier post, I'm curious as to where the 'somewhere horrible' is.
sorry didn’t mean to come across rude or anything 😂 i’ve just had trouble sorting out my accommodation and some of the ones i’ve seen have very poor reviews
Em1lyja
Rep:
?
(Original post by MKaur18)
I had the same problems occurring, I wanted to live alone which meant high rent that would not cover my costs.
I think you'll need a part time job, and I had to do the same as it was difficult to be able to pay for my cost of living, and going to buy foods etc. Try living in a further out zone, it'll be cheaper but course you'll need to consider costs of commuting or getting a bike
the accommodation i’ve applied to so far is in zone 2/3 which means i’ll have to include travel expenses also. looking into other accommodation at the moment although i was hoping to live in the intercollegiate halls
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Em1lyja)
the accommodation i’ve applied to so far is in zone 2/3 which means i’ll have to include travel expenses also. looking into other accommodation at the moment although i was hoping to live in the intercollegiate halls
You may have to look a bit further or for a bigger shared accommodation, unfortunately london isn't cheap, or try relocating unis in that case - can't really do much else about it. Either gotta work, or look else where
Em1lyja
Rep:
?
(Original post by Caz1234567)
It makes me wonder which room they are currently looking at. If its ensuite they can save money by having a room with a shared bathroom. If it's uni halls, they could look into flat sharing and renting privately. Intercollegiate halls are also a great option, usually cheaper and you don't need to worry about most of the paperwork that comes with renting privately. Also, the other uni hall you linked looks far better than some i've seen.
I plan on going uni in London and the accommodation I want is roughly £670 a month for an ensuite :dontknow:
it’s all so complicated haha, i’ve applied for intercollegiate halls but i was set on en suite just because thats my personal preference. i’m just going to look elsewhere aswell
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
it’s all so complicated haha, i’ve applied for intercollegiate halls but i was set on en suite just because thats my personal preference. i’m just going to look elsewhere aswell
Why would Romano Court not be suitable though? It is perfectly within your price range and SO close to your University buildings. You could walk to classes.
Last edited by Kerzen; 2 weeks ago
Em1lyja
Rep:
?
(Original post by buggly21)
Student current account provide an overdraft which might help while you're finding a p-time job. You'll probs get like £7-9 an hr and work like 10-15hrs a week, so thats at least £70 a week... about £280 a month. That might help. But I'd defo encourage you look for more affordable accomm potentially as it sounds like you've not budgetted well
i’m planning on finding a job, and definitely going to explore other accommodation options - i was under the impression that the one i’ve applied for was an average price but apparently i was wrong haha
Em1lyja
Rep:
?
Why would Romano Court not be suitable though? It is perfectly within your price range and SO close to your University buildings. You could walk to classes.
i’ve only just explored this option and it looks great so i’ll definitely look into it! i had no idea what was available as i’ve never had to deal with this stuff before
Em1lyja
Rep:
?
i hadn’t explored this accommodation yet - but i definitely will now. i’m just new to all this and haven’t dealt with it before so struggling lol
Caz1234567
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So my advice would be to do more exploring. If you didn't know about Romano Court, I'm sure there are so many great options you didn't know about. I think you could easily find accommodation in the £600 a month range. Just keep searching.
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i’ve only just explored this option and it looks great so i’ll definitely look into it! i had no idea what was available as i’ve never had to deal with this stuff before
I think it would be great. I actually know where this is because I was a student at City myself for a while when I was doing the GDL.

I don't think that the rooms are en suite, but for such a bargain price and just a few minutes' walk from classes, I would just buy a big fluffy dressing gown and a pretty bag for my bathroom bits and bobs!

Something you don't want as a young student is money worries, you know, just about making it each month. £640 will leave you OK financially and that's a great situation to be in.
Em1lyja
Rep:
?
(Original post by Caz1234567)
So my advice would be to do more exploring. If you didn't know about Romano Court, I'm sure there are so many great options you didn't know about. I think you could easily find accommodation in the £600 a month range. Just keep searching.
thank you for the advice i’ll definitely look into it
username5604436
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
idk these are the prices that have been offered,to me keep in mind it’s for halls. i’m not intending to spend money i don’t have- just needed some advice on whether this was a common problem and how people dealt with it
I also lived in halls in the city of London - I went to lse. It was nowhere near what you’re paying and city uni isn’t as central
Tashax2
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i hadn’t explored this accommodation yet - but i definitely will now. i’m just new to all this and haven’t dealt with it before so struggling lol
So you didn’t look at all accommodations available before saying you don’t have enough maintenance...
itsyahg
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’ve recently applied for accommodation in London and the rough amount i’ll be paying a month is £920. When calculating my student loan i should roughly receive £800 a month - not enough to cover my rent or any extra necessities such as food etc. I’m planning to get a part-time job when i start in september but i’m unsure this will be enough to cover everything as i’ll have travel expenses etc. I have some savings but wasn’t planning on spending them all at uni, I won’t be able to receive much financial support from family as I’m only supported by my mum. I know London is expensive but does anyone have any advice or tips? Please no comments on cheaper accommodation as this is the best prices offered by my uni without having to live somewhere horrible
i also live in a london uni accom and it's over £1.5k more than my maintenance loan. luckily i have been working part time over the years so i have been using that to help me. Unfortunately London is very expensive and if you're thinking to live out you'll most likely need to spend a lot of your savings.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by EricAteYou)
You can see if your university has a hardship fund. Quite often they do, especially now with the pandemic, and can help 'top-up' what the loan misses.
Unfortunately this is probably not a long term feasible solution, because hardship funds are usually for one off payments for sudden incurred costs; a long term incremental shortfall each month is a bit outside of the remit for most hardship funds.

I’ve recently applied for accommodation in London and the rough amount i’ll be paying a month is £920. When calculating my student loan i should roughly receive £800 a month - not enough to cover my rent or any extra necessities such as food etc. I’m planning to get a part-time job when i start in september but i’m unsure this will be enough to cover everything as i’ll have travel expenses etc. I have some savings but wasn’t planning on spending them all at uni, I won’t be able to receive much financial support from family as I’m only supported by my mum. I know London is expensive but does anyone have any advice or tips? Please no comments on cheaper accommodation as this is the best prices offered by my uni without having to live somewhere horrible
Is this based on the London maintenance loan rate? Students studying away from home, in London, get a higher maintenance loan amount. Also student accounts usually have attractive interest free overdrafts (or interest free periods on overdrafts that are long enough for your maintenance loan instalment dates to negate the interest factor) which are there to help bridge gaps like this. You would probably need to be looking for work during the holidays though, or a long term part time job in term time.

That said £920 a month seems very high, even for London. That's over £200 a week; most accommodation in London seems to be closer to £150-180 a week, which is considerably less per month (although still only just under how much you've calculated your monthly "income" from the loan to be - remember this is not paid monthly and is paid in three instalments over the academic year). There are some as low as £120 a week. I think you need to be looking at other accommodation options than the ones you have been looking at, which seem unreasonably expensive for student living unless you are very wealthy.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 2 weeks ago
MatthewAteYou
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Unfortunately this is probably not a long term feasible solution, because hardship funds are usually for one off payments for sudden incurred costs; a long term incremental shortfall each month is a bit outside of the remit for most hardship funds.
True. Again, speaking from my experience from my university they've created new funds to address the longer term problems. They've been giving out termly payments to students to address shortfalls. However, that may stop after lockdown is more formally ended.

As you said though, far better finding more affordable accommodation in the first place.
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
That said £920 a month seems very high, even for London. That's over £200 a week; most accommodation in London seems to be closer to £150-180 a week, which is considerably less per month (although still only just under how much you've calculated your monthly "income" from the loan to be - remember this is not paid monthly and is paid in three instalments over the academic year). There are some as low as £120 a week. I think you need to be looking at other accommodation options than the ones you have been looking at, which seem unreasonably expensive for student living unless you are very wealthy.
AL

The impression I get, as a postgraduate student who lives in Central London but who doesn't live in Halls, is that the slightly cheaper Halls are the ones towards the edges of London, those for Goldsmiths or perhaps Queen Mary. Once you start coming closer into the centre, the 'bargains' drop away.

In this instance, the OP is going to City University, so her classes are going to be in the Angel/Old Street/Moorgate area. The problem for someone taking bargain priced accommodation further out of town and who needs to get into the Old Street area each day is that they then have to add travel costs.

The prices for City's Halls seem to be on a par for those in the middle of London.

https://www.city.ac.uk/prospective-s...tapriceminimum

I still think that Romano Court is a bargain.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
AL

The impression I get, as a postgraduate student who lives in Central London but who doesn't live in Halls, is that the slightly cheaper Halls are the ones towards the edges of London, those for Goldsmiths or perhaps Queen Mary. Once you start coming closer into the centre, the 'bargains' drop away.

In this instance, the OP is going to City University, so her classes are going to be in the Angel/Old Street/Moorgate area. The problem for someone taking bargain priced accommodation further out of town and who needs to get into the Old Street area each day is that they then have to add travel costs.

The prices for City's Halls seem to be on a par for those in the middle of London.

https://www.city.ac.uk/prospective-s...tapriceminimum

I still think that Romano Court is a bargain.
That's a fair point, the accom you noted was more in the typical price range I was seeing based on a quick search before I replied so seems a better idea. I think more than £180 a week, even for London, would be excessive though...
Caz1234567
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Tashax2)
So you didn’t look at all accommodations available before saying you don’t have enough maintenance...
:clap2:
Em1lyja
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tashax2)
no need to be rude? i just wasn’t aware... i came on here to ask for some advice as i clearly was unsure so i don’t see why you needed to comment this under my genuine confusion?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (189)
5.04%
Uncertainty around my education (551)
14.69%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (420)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (516)
13.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (187)
4.98%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (223)
5.94%
Loneliness (315)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.86%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.48%
Lack of real life entertainment (213)
5.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (335)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (352)
9.38%

Watched Threads