extremely violent dreams

Watch
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
i've been dealing with nightmares for years but something's different about them now. i still have recurring nightmares about the past but now i also regularly - nearly every day at this point - have nightmares where i'm the one hurting others (including violent murder). they're extremely realistic and vivid, and sometimes i just wake up feeling sick. usually i also wake up tired and irritable af.
why is this happening? why would my brain come up with stuff like that? i'm the least violent person i know. i don't watch violent movies or anything like that
interstellaaa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
hmm, usually dreams reflect onto what’s going on in your life. has anything traumatic happened or a bad situation popped up recently? if so, that might be the cause of it. violence in dreams, wether it’s you or others causing it, can usually mean that things in your life feel out of control or that your love situation isn’t good. not that that is the case, but maybe something you should consider if you’re having dreams like this repeatedly. I’m not professional when it comes to this, so don’t just take information from me. you can find stuff about what your dreams mean online, and if you’re very worried about it, reach out to someone you know and talk about it. trust me, it helps. I also had weird dreams for a period of time, and soon found out that it was because I was stressed and didn’t know what the hell to do with my life. sometimes you feel things without noticing. I don’t think you should be worried about the violence in your dreams - the message dreams send are usually different to what they actually mean. hope this helped a bit
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You're on antidepressants, right? Some of those can cause very vivid, frightening dreams. I recommend you keep taking them if you're on them though.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ive had chronic nightmares for years (long before i was on any medications so its not a side effect of that) and for me personally the only thing that helped is a pill called promethazine as like with you there was no rhyme or reason to the dreams so therapy wouldnt have helped me

Sorry you are having to deal with this :console:
Ciel.
Rep:
?
(Original post by interstellaaa)
hmm, usually dreams reflect onto what’s going on in your life. has anything traumatic happened or a bad situation popped up recently? if so, that might be the cause of it. violence in dreams, wether it’s you or others causing it, can usually mean that things in your life feel out of control or that your love situation isn’t good. not that that is the case, but maybe something you should consider if you’re having dreams like this repeatedly. I’m not professional when it comes to this, so don’t just take information from me. you can find stuff about what your dreams mean online, and if you’re very worried about it, reach out to someone you know and talk about it. trust me, it helps. I also had weird dreams for a period of time, and soon found out that it was because I was stressed and didn’t know what the hell to do with my life. sometimes you feel things without noticing. I don’t think you should be worried about the violence in your dreams - the message dreams send are usually different to what they actually mean. hope this helped a bit
nah, not recently. but yeah it could be stress, i'm chronically stressed, lol
thanks <3
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Ive had chronic nightmares for years (long before i was on any medications so its not a side effect of that) and for me personally the only thing that helped is a pill called promethazine as like with you there was no rhyme or reason to the dreams so therapy wouldnt have helped me

Sorry you are having to deal with this :console:
oh yeah, i remember you mentioning your nightmares :< is promethazine similar to benadryl? and is it over the counter?
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
You're on antidepressants, right? Some of those can cause very vivid, frightening dreams. I recommend you keep taking them if you're on them though.
nope. but i take benzos and hypnotics pretty regularly. never had any issues before tho
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
nah, not recently. but yeah it could be stress, i'm chronically stressed, lol
thanks <3

oh yeah, i remember you mentioning your nightmares :< is promethazine similar to benadryl? and is it over the counter?

nope. but i take benzos and hypnotics pretty regularly. never had any issues before tho
Ohhh okay. Sorry for making assumptions.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Ohhh okay. Sorry for making assumptions.
it's all good. i actually used to be on antidepressants some time ago so i might have mentioned them in the past
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (184)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (538)
14.69%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (406)
11.09%
Lack of purpose or motivation (505)
13.79%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (181)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (221)
6.03%
Loneliness (309)
8.44%
Financial worries (134)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (165)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (209)
5.71%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (326)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (339)
9.26%

Watched Threads