Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi. I'm doing an essay on selfish love for Wuthering Heights and am struggling on what poems to link my points to.
-Heathcliff forcing Cathy and Linton to marry for his own financial gain and revenge on Edgar for marrying Catherine
- Catherine choosing to marry Edgar over Heathcliff as it would "degrade" her to marry H due social status
- Heathcliff unable to let go of Cathy and her ghosts-Chapter 9- digging up her body.
If anyone has any ideas about poems that would link to these points, or any other points that would be better that I could include, that would be very helpful
deyaa_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i'm not sure but those points seem too specific to find a poem to link to imho especially because they're actual parts of the plot rather than broader themes/ idea. you might be better off thinking of broader points that link to selfish love rather than actual parts of the plot as these could then come as evidence for your points rather than be the points themselves. also, just curious, but is there a particular reason you're looking for poems to link to these points (ie/ for context marks)? if so, then i'd suggest looking for other context points such as the literary movements of gothicism and romanticism which link really well with the concepts of love and relationships. i hope at least some of that's helpful
Rep:
?
(Original post by deyaa_)
i'm not sure but those points seem too specific to find a poem to link to imho especially because they're actual parts of the plot rather than broader themes/ idea. you might be better off thinking of broader points that link to selfish love rather than actual parts of the plot as these could then come as evidence for your points rather than be the points themselves. also, just curious, but is there a particular reason you're looking for poems to link to these points (ie/ for context marks)? if so, then i'd suggest looking for other context points such as the literary movements of gothicism and romanticism which link really well with the concepts of love and relationships. i hope at least some of that's helpful
I struggle most with section C- structuring and linking my points up with different poems. I've never been able to get higher than a B (I'd really like to get an A). I tend to stick to specific points in the play that I know really well and have a lot of context and critical analysis that I've researched a lot about. The problem is I can never seem to find poems to link to my points, or if I can then they're not in enough detail. I'm keeping trying to broaden out my points, but then I struggled with narrowing it down in terms of using speicifc quotes and critical analysis and I'm never really how I would go about doing that.
Thank you sm for the advice tho, I'll have to try and branch out to learn my critics and context.
deyaa_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by 17845)
I struggle most with section C- structuring and linking my points up with different poems. I've never been able to get higher than a B (I'd really like to get an A). I tend to stick to specific points in the play that I know really well and have a lot of context and critical analysis that I've researched a lot about. The problem is I can never seem to find poems to link to my points, or if I can then they're not in enough detail. I'm keeping trying to broaden out my points, but then I struggled with narrowing it down in terms of using speicifc quotes and critical analysis and I'm never really how I would go about doing that.
Thank you sm for the advice tho, I'll have to try and branch out to learn my critics and context.
ah i see, that makes more sense to me now. perhaps what you could do is make a list of all the broader themes you can think of and then create quote banks for these different themes (obvs some quotes could definitely overlap). this is technically quite time-consuming but i think it could be very useful in making links to critics, context and poems and also simply to break down wuthering heights and know the novel better too. in that way, you might be able to find links between points and poems and weave different parts of the expected criteria into your essays without making it seem forced.
Rep:
?
(Original post by deyaa_)
ah i see, that makes more sense to me now. perhaps what you could do is make a list of all the broader themes you can think of and then create quote banks for these different themes (obvs some quotes could definitely overlap). this is technically quite time-consuming but i think it could be very useful in making links to critics, context and poems and also simply to break down wuthering heights and know the novel better too. in that way, you might be able to find links between points and poems and weave different parts of the expected criteria into your essays without making it seem forced.
Thank you!! Very helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
13.89%
I need help researching courses (5)
6.94%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (30)
41.67%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (18)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.78%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.17%

Watched Threads