The Student Room Group

Student finance England

Hey, I wanted to know if I'm eligible for a student loan. I'm 19 years of age and currently hold a discretionary leave to remain and have been living in the U.K for 14 years of my life.

I have completed my GCSEs and A levels and I am unsure on whether I qualify because a year ago when I was still in sixth form I rang SFE to see if I meet the criteria to receive student finance and the person said I am illegible because I hold a DLR and told me that I need to hold an indefinite leave to remain, however recently I've being seeing threads that seem to imply that I could be eligible for the long residency criteria if I can provide physical evidence of my residency.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Allan23
Hey, I wanted to know if I'm eligible for a student loan. I'm 19 years of age and currently hold a discretionary leave to remain and have been living in the U.K for 14 years of my life.

I have completed my GCSEs and A levels and I am unsure on whether I qualify because a year ago when I was still in sixth form I rang SFE to see if I meet the criteria to receive student finance and the person said I am illegible because I hold a DLR and told me that I need to hold an indefinite leave to remain, however recently I've being seeing threads that seem to imply that I could be eligible for the long residency criteria if I can provide physical evidence of my residency.

Good Afternoon Allan,

How old are you? It may be possible to apply under the Long Residency Category.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
Reply 2
Original post by Shaun SFE
Good Afternoon Allan,

How old are you? It may be possible to apply under the Long Residency Category.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.

I am 19 years old. I was born here and stayed here for 2 years then I lived in Tanzania for 3 years and then came back when I was 5 so if I include the time I stayed in the U.K prior to my departure as well. The length of time will equate to 16 years
Allan.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Baller323
I am 19 years old. I was born here and stayed here for 2 years then I lived in Tanzania for 3 years and then came back when I was 5 so if I include the time I stayed in the U.K prior to my departure as well. The length of time will equate to 16 years
Allan.

Was this break in residency in Tanzania temporary in nature or was this a permanent move at the time?

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
Reply 4
It was temporary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending