Getting over an embarrassing moment

Watch
Anonymous018
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Right.
I can’t get over an ‘embarrassing’ moment. I put embarrassing in air quotes because it wasn’t even embarrassing, I’ve done far more embarrassing things that don’t bother me like this but for some reason I keep thinking about it, and getting really upset even though it wasn’t even embarrassing!!!
Okay, so we’d all been drinking. I’d had too much on an empty stomach. There were 6 of us in total, 2 of which I rarely speak to (this only further accentuates the point of WHY DO I CARE?!). I was sick privately in the toilet only in front of my best friend, and decided if I continued to drink then I’d only make a fool of myself. My parents were in the house (upstairs), and my dad being rather strict had a strong word with me, which led to me crying (again this was in PRIVATE. None of the group know this). I went to bed, and left my friends to it. The next day I woke up to a litter of “I hope you’re okay” texts and that was that.
Now, I’ve publicly thrown up in someone else’s house, I’ve drunkly cried in front of big groups of friends who’ve teased me for it. My friends, who were present on the night of the one mentioned before have done far worse! My friend literally threw up all over my legs, and made a complete fool of himself, yet I rarely even think about him doing that.

For some reason I can’t stop thinking about this one night. It wasn’t even embarrassing! Everyone who was there, just thinks I took myself to bed. Only my best friend and I know I got upset over my dad and got sick (can you tell I have anxiety over sick?!) so why is this bothering me so much? I’ve done far worse and never think of it! But all I can think of is them thinking I made an idiot of myself, even though I don’t think I actually did.

Please help :/ it’s eating me up.
CoochieMan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The way I get over embarrassing things is knowing that I don't remember any embarrassing things my friends or family have done, so it's likely they don't remember any embarrassing things I've done either.
daisiejane
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i know it's a lot easier said than done but just keep in mind that literally nobody is thinking about it or will likely think about it again. you said yourself that your friends have done way worse and it rarely crosses your mind, so consider that nobody else is going to be thinking about your 'embarrassing' moment. honestly, i expected it to be something way worse so don't stress too much, a lot of people embarrass themselves much more and even irritate their friends/other guests in situations where drinking is involved. even in the case that they did know what happened (which you say they don't) you did nothing bad, maybe something that was slightly funny to them the next day but i can assure you nobody is still thinking about it apart from you, don't panic too much. especially if they have no idea then there is nothing at all to worry about, just accept that you got slightly too drunk and that these things happen to everyone!
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
That is pretty common, especially when there is alcohol involved. I get anxiety over doing stuff while drunk that no one else even noticed, and I keep overthinking it.

But just remember that none of them even care about what happened. They all probably think, as you said, that you went to bed and that you were tired. One time I was so freaked out about something I did when I was drunk IN FRONT OF MY FRIENDS, and I told one of my friends who were there that night what she thought about it and she didnt even remember it because it wasnt a big deal.

So yeah, they probably texted you "hope you are okay" because they felt bad about you missing out on fun because they thought you were tired, and not cause they think something happened. I do that all the time when my friends leave parties early, even if it is cause they have to study or have work the next morning, I always text them "hope you are doing well!" the same night or the next day because I feel bad that they had to leave early and couldnt continue partying.

Trust me, they are not thinking about it at all. They are definitely more worried about stuff they did themselves while drunk, haha.
itsyahg
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous018)
Right.
I can’t get over an ‘embarrassing’ moment. I put embarrassing in air quotes because it wasn’t even embarrassing, I’ve done far more embarrassing things that don’t bother me like this but for some reason I keep thinking about it, and getting really upset even though it wasn’t even embarrassing!!!
Okay, so we’d all been drinking. I’d had too much on an empty stomach. There were 6 of us in total, 2 of which I rarely speak to (this only further accentuates the point of WHY DO I CARE?!). I was sick privately in the toilet only in front of my best friend, and decided if I continued to drink then I’d only make a fool of myself. My parents were in the house (upstairs), and my dad being rather strict had a strong word with me, which led to me crying (again this was in PRIVATE. None of the group know this). I went to bed, and left my friends to it. The next day I woke up to a litter of “I hope you’re okay” texts and that was that.
Now, I’ve publicly thrown up in someone else’s house, I’ve drunkly cried in front of big groups of friends who’ve teased me for it. My friends, who were present on the night of the one mentioned before have done far worse! My friend literally threw up all over my legs, and made a complete fool of himself, yet I rarely even think about him doing that.

For some reason I can’t stop thinking about this one night. It wasn’t even embarrassing! Everyone who was there, just thinks I took myself to bed. Only my best friend and I know I got upset over my dad and got sick (can you tell I have anxiety over sick?!) so why is this bothering me so much? I’ve done far worse and never think of it! But all I can think of is them thinking I made an idiot of myself, even though I don’t think I actually did.

Please help :/ it’s eating me up.
instead of thinking of it as an embarrassing thing, why don't you change it into a way that it's a funny thing. Like maybe others think this too that it was hilarious rather than embarrassing.
Anonymous018
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by daisiejane)
i know it's a lot easier said than done but just keep in mind that literally nobody is thinking about it or will likely think about it again. you said yourself that your friends have done way worse and it rarely crosses your mind, so consider that nobody else is going to be thinking about your 'embarrassing' moment. honestly, i expected it to be something way worse so don't stress too much, a lot of people embarrass themselves much more and even irritate their friends/other guests in situations where drinking is involved. even in the case that they did know what happened (which you say they don't) you did nothing bad, maybe something that was slightly funny to them the next day but i can assure you nobody is still thinking about it apart from you, don't panic too much. especially if they have no idea then there is nothing at all to worry about, just accept that you got slightly too drunk and that these things happen to everyone!
Thank you - this is reassuring !
Anonymous018
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
That is pretty common, especially when there is alcohol involved. I get anxiety over doing stuff while drunk that no one else even noticed, and I keep overthinking it.

But just remember that none of them even care about what happened. They all probably think, as you said, that you went to bed and that you were tired. One time I was so freaked out about something I did when I was drunk IN FRONT OF MY FRIENDS, and I told one of my friends who were there that night what she thought about it and she didnt even remember it because it wasnt a big deal.

So yeah, they probably texted you "hope you are okay" because they felt bad about you missing out on fun because they thought you were tired, and not cause they think something happened. I do that all the time when my friends leave parties early, even if it is cause they have to study or have work the next morning, I always text them "hope you are doing well!" the same night or the next day because I feel bad that they had to leave early and couldnt continue partying.

Trust me, they are not thinking about it at all. They are definitely more worried about stuff they did themselves while drunk, haha.
Thank you, I found out my friend tried to kiss my other mate and he has a girlfriend !!! On reflection I think me retiring early is minuscule in comparison.....
Anonymous018
Rep:
?
(Original post by itsyahg)
instead of thinking of it as an embarrassing thing, why don't you change it into a way that it's a funny thing. Like maybe others think this too that it was hilarious rather than embarrassing.
Thank you. I will try this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads