e3m46
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Ive received an offer from both St Andrews and Sheffield for their physics/astrophysics courses however am very stuck between the two. Does anyone have any further insight which could help me make the right decision?
I am into Drum n Bass, however don't mind the lack of clubs in St Andrews and believe Dundee has a decent scene and is quite easy to get to.
Generally, I'm just very stuck
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As far as university brand names go, St Andrews has the stronger brand name. The future King of Great Britain studied at St Andrews. He could have gone to Oxford or Cambridge so that says something about St Andrews. Its also one of the top-rated universities by the Guardian - second place behind Oxford.

Sheffield is a typical redbrick Northern Uni with a solid reputation on a par with Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool and Newcastle. Its a lovely city and you will have a great time there.

St Andrews does attract more of the upper-class folk so be prepared for a fair share of hooray Henrys and Henriettas - Pims on the lawn and croquet. I exaggerate (but only a little).

I am not sure about the course content of both courses. I guess you are best placed to weigh them up.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How to Choose Firm & Insurance - read it all : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices
Then look at the Campus Tour films on YouTube.
Final thought - St Andrews is the sole Uni in a tiny Scottish town, Sheffield is a large city with several Unis. What sort of student experience do you want?
Last edited by McGinger; 1 week ago
e3m46
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
As far as university brand names go, St Andrews has the stronger brand name. The future King of Great Britain studied at St Andrews. He could have gone to Oxford or Cambridge so that says something about St Andrews. Its also one of the top-rated universities by the Guardian - second place behind Oxford.

Sheffield is a typical redbrick Northern Uni with a solid reputation on a par with Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool and Newcastle. Its a lovely city and you will have a great time there.

St Andrews does attract more of the upper-class folk so be prepared for a fair share of hooray Henrys and Henriettas - Pims on the lawn and croquet. I exaggerate (but only a little).

I am not sure about the course content of both courses. I guess you are best placed to weigh them up.
Would you say that choosing a uni using prestige, at least partly, is important? And if so, why?
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by e3m46)
Would you say that choosing a uni using prestige, at least partly, is important? And if so, why?
Tell me how you measure 'prestige'.
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by e3m46)
Its all about branding. Why do people spend £80 for Nike trainers when a pair of £20 Slazengers would do the job? Why do people pay a fortune to be seen in a £30k Audi when a £15k Dacia would still get you from A to B?

All to do with image and brand name. How cool does one feel rolling up to one's friends in those Nike trainers and not the ones your mum bought from Florence & Fred in Tescos?

You may not appreciate it now but the 40-year-old you will. It's something to say you went to St Andrews or Oxford that simply does not have the same ring if you say you went to Liverpool or Sheffield. It is total snobbery but you will have your uni on your CV for the rest of your life.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
And, this snobbery is entirely a 'school leaver obsession'. Those of us in the University sector don't bother about 'which Uni' - there is not the fixation with RG etc, and I have never selected Masters students on this basis.

Its marketing - also known as 'positioning'. St Andrews market themselves on the fact that it was founded in the 1500s - so what? If you think about that, what difference can that make to anyone studying there now? If you look at any other Uni they will have picked something to 'push' about themselves - number of Nobel Prize winners. 'University the Year 2014' or similar meaningless statement. Its all to make you think they are 'special'. Its essentially make-believe nonsense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (186)
42.08%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (67)
15.16%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (181)
40.95%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.81%

Watched Threads