Biomedical engineer/scientist and doctor

Watch this thread
username5424236
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can you become both a biomedical engineer/scientist and a doctor.If you have a msc biomedical engineering degree and a mbbs medicine degree.
Last edited by username5424236; 1 year ago
Lewis T K
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yurfan123)
Can you become both a biomedical engineer/scientist and a doctor.I have a msc biomedical engineering degree and a mbbs medicine degree.
Well yes, if you have an MSc and MBBS then you are both by title and degree
Lewis T K
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It would be incredibly difficult to practice as a biomedical engineer while actively being a practicing physician, especially as a junior doctor. But it’s not heard of having both degrees. I am a biomedical engineer who is just now starting medical school, but apart from aiding in small amounts of research, I can not see myself doing very much in the biomedical engineering field for some time

Have you started your biomedical engineering degree, because if you have not and medicine is your main goal, it would be advised not to start the degree, but rather take a gap year and apply to standard undergrad medicine as GEM is far more competitive and expensive
Last edited by Lewis T K; 1 year ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
The term "biomedical scientist" is protected in the UK and so the only way to be a biomedical scientist is to have an IBMS accredite biomedical sciences or healthcare sciences (life sciences) degree and to be registered with the HCPC after completing a professional portfolio while working in an approved NHS pathology lab. That process is then somewhat mutually exclusive with being a doctor, unless you then do medicine as a graduate. However, you wouldn't really be a biomedical scientist anymore at that point as you wouldn't be in s post with the NHS as a biomedical scientist.

To be a research scientist, in medical sciences or other bioscience fields, would generally imply you were an academic at a university, which would require normally that you completed a PhD and psordc and established yourself as an academic. There are routes in medical training to support a career in academia while training as a clinician.

To be a biomedical engineer would mean to work as an engineer. You couldn't work as an engineer while also being a doctor, the need for multiple separate and unrelated degrees aside, because they're totally different fields, even biomedical engineering. BMEs might work with clinicians at various stages but the roles are distinct and non-overlapping. This is also true of the biomedical scientist role as above.

Essentially there is a lot more to being a (biomedical) scientist or engineer beyond merely getting a degree in the area and it is fundamentally a full time profession which is separate from being a doctor. So just as you couldn't realistically simultaneously work as a doctor and a lawyer, you can't "be" both a doctor and a biomedical engineer or biomedical scientist (in the sense of the meaning as a protected term), although you could be a doctor and a researcher doing scientific research. You could get degrees in those areas before, after, or while getting a medical degree, but that by itself wouldn't make you a scientist or engineer as indicated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.43%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.1%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.95%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.62%

Watched Threads