The Student Room Group

Is 8 stones healthy for a 19 year old male

Hi I get a lot of people that I don't look too healthy and that I'm to skinny. and I can feel my rib cage as well. I think it was the lockdown last year or something that made me lose a lot of weight but I don't understand.

Scroll to see replies

How tall are you?
What's your BMI say?
Original post by slide27
Hi I get a lot of people that I don't look too healthy and that I'm to skinny. and I can feel my rib cage as well. I think it was the lockdown last year or something that made me lose a lot of weight but I don't understand.

This depends on your height also.
You can check your BMI on the NHS website, to check if you are healthy.
However honestly speaking you do sound underweight.
I’m a female nearly 19 and I’m 10 stones, 5’7, thats a healthy BMI.
Reply 4
5,4 I think I am
Original post by slide27
5,4 I think I am

I think you’re underweight then.
Reply 6
The thing is a lot of people think I have a eating disorder or something
Original post by slide27

Well you clearly do understand. My ex was thin but not skinny he was 5'10 at 19 years old and was about 11 stone, relatively healthy. 8 stone for any 19 year old is abit on the unhealthy side. check your bmi and just intake more calories but in forms of proteins fats and a lot more carbs.
Original post by slide27
The thing is a lot of people think I have a eating disorder or something

Maybe you feel like you’re eating enough.
However you might be eating the wrong stuff, if that makes sense.
Also might be due to a fast metabolism.
Reply 9
Original post by Thedentalone
Maybe you feel like you’re eating enough.
However you might be eating the wrong stuff, if that makes sense.
Also might be due to a fast metabolism.

Yeah I do have fast metabolism
By BMI you're at the lower end of a healthy weight. Then again if my BMI was the same as yours I'd look way too skinny. If you don't like the way you look eat lots of sugar and butter. You'll put on weight fast. Also take a multivitamin.
Original post by slide27

Have you spoke to your GP? Maybe some supplements you could try to have?
Reply 12
I have checked my bmi its around 19.1 and says I'm healthy.
Original post by slide27
I have checked my bmi its around 19.1 and says I'm healthy.

Well that’s good! I reckon your height and weight even out. If you’re happy, just maintain yourself x
Reply 14
Original post by Thedentalone
Well that’s good! I reckon your height and weight even out. If you’re happy, just maintain yourself x

Oh OK I was just worried about my weight. but thanks for helping
Original post by slide27
Oh OK I was just worried about my weight. but thanks for helping

Don’t worry, as long as you’re healthy, that all that really matters.
No problem x
Original post by slide27

I know someone who has had a very similar issue and one thing that I noticed was that he didn’t eat remotely enough calories which would help him gain weight. A lot of this was down to the fact that with lockdown he didn’t leave his room therefore his body wasn’t demanding as much food. He was also a veggie and lactose intolerant which made things more complicated because he limited what he ate so much. Try eating carbs, pasta meals and foods like avacado will help you. YouTube will be a great way to go because you’ll be able to find lifestyles that people have taken which help them gain weight and build muscle. It’s not abnormal, a lot of it is down to understanding your body and what it needs to be able to grow and develop further
Original post by slide27

No you don't, you undereat. Difference between fast and slow metabolism is only 200-300 kcals.
To put it into perspective I’m a 5 foot 4 19 year old who eats healthy and works out most days doing a lot of cardio, I’m about 8 stone 9. I have a fast metabolism and do not have big boobs by any means. Not to say that you are unhealthy because I am not in the position or have the scientific knowledge to suggest so, however as a growing teenager your calorie intake should be around 2500 per day. You need these calories in order to grow. I wouldn’t worry however I would definitely analyse your intake and find advice about overall physical well-being. It is a process that needs to be taken in stride, do not feel like you need to flip your lifestyle over night, but try to gradually alter your lifestyle and intake.
A guy your age should be taking in 2500 calories approx. I wouldn’t change this over night if your current intake is no where near that much however I would definitely start adapting your lifestyle to gradually reach this. A fast metabolism may be a factor however it is not a reason for your size, it does sound like a calorie in take situation.

Quick Reply

Latest