emeraldde
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Dear SFE,

Good morning☀️

Just want to ask if the status can change during studies.

During first year I applied as eu migrant. Now an incoming 3rd year, at the start of my 3rd year this september i would have lived 5 years at least already and would have a settled status. Can i apply as home student now or still as eu migrant? Do i need to change forms, do i still have to show proof of work, etc?

Thank you for any clarification.

e
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Your residency status is based on the situation at the start of your course. It can't change mid course.
emeraldde
Rep:
?
Shaun SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by emeraldde)
Dear SFE,

Good morning☀️

Just want to ask if the status can change during studies.

During first year I applied as eu migrant. Now an incoming 3rd year, at the start of my 3rd year this september i would have lived 5 years at least already and would have a settled status. Can i apply as home student now or still as eu migrant? Do i need to change forms, do i still have to show proof of work, etc?

Thank you for any clarification.

e
Good Afternoon,

Once you obtain settled status after having pre-settled status we would consider this an event and you would be able to apply for funding as a settled student.

I would suggest once you get the settled status you send us the evidence of this via your share code and accompanying letter regarding the status itself.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Just to echo PQ’s comment, your fee status, (for tuition fees), as assessed by the Uni will ordinarily not be amended mid-course. Your funding from SFE is completely separate.
emeraldde
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shaun SFE)
Good Afternoon,

Once you obtain settled status after having pre-settled status we would consider this an event and you would be able to apply for funding as a settled student.

I would suggest once you get the settled status you send us the evidence of this via your share code and accompanying letter regarding the status itself.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
Hi Shaun,

Good afternoon. Thank you for your response.
I have already sent my 2021/22 application using the PR1 form.

So, does that mean all I have to do now is wait for my settled status to take place. Once I have the settled status, I will send the share code and the letter. Then I will be treated as home student. So I don't have to show proof of work/pay slips anymore?

Kind regards,

e
Shaun SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi Shaun,

Good afternoon. Thank you for your response.
I have already sent my 2021/22 application using the PR1 form.

So, does that mean all I have to do now is wait for my settled status to take place. Once I have the settled status, I will send the share code and the letter. Then I will be treated as home student. So I don't have to show proof of work/pay slips anymore?

Kind regards,

e
That's correct. Our residency team will review the evidence once received.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
emeraldde
Rep:
?
That's correct. Our residency team will review the evidence once received.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
Thank you so much Shaun 👍
emeraldde
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Good Afternoon,

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
Hi Shaun,

I just want to reclarify this again.

I called about this a few days ago and they gave me a different answer.

So as I've mentioned above, I am applying for my last year loan this year. During my first and second year, I applied under the eu migrant worker scheme so I had to show proof of work for both years. This year, I will be having my settled status before september. Can I apply for my 3rd year loan as a home student this time because I will have settled status by then? Or I will still be under the eu migrant worker scheme and still has to show proof of work?

Thanks,

em
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi Shaun,

I just want to reclarify this again.

I called about this a few days ago and they gave me a different answer.

So as I've mentioned above, I am applying for my last year loan this year. During my first and second year, I applied under the eu migrant worker scheme so I had to show proof of work for both years. This year, I will be having my settled status before september. Can I apply for my 3rd year loan as a home student this time because I will have settled status by then? Or I will still be under the eu migrant worker scheme and still has to show proof of work?

Thanks,

em
Hi there, it's a new process so the advisor you spoke to on the phone might not be fully aware.

If you have full settled status you can be classed as a home student instead of a Migrant Worker. You must have full settled status and you must have been resident in the year for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course to change over.
If an advisor has said different on the phone then they are misinformed.
Thanks, Isaac
emeraldde
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi there, it's a new process so the advisor you spoke to on the phone might not be fully aware.

If you have full settled status you can be classed as a home student instead of a Migrant Worker. You must have full settled status and you must have been resident in the year for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course to change over.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac,

Thanks again for your reply. I really hope your information is more accurate. And yes, I was already living for at least 3 years prior September 1 of my first academic year, hence I was able to apply as eu migrant worker. Is that what you mean or you mean I should be living for 3 years on January 1?

In any case, I'm planning to submit my settled status document and see what happens.

Thanks again,

em
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi Isaac,

Thanks again for your reply. I really hope your information is more accurate. And yes, I was already living for at least 3 years prior September 1 of my first academic year, hence I was able to apply as eu migrant worker. Is that what you mean or you mean I should be living for 3 years on January 1?

In any case, I'm planning to submit my settled status document and see what happens.

Thanks again,

em
You don't need 3 years in the UK to apply as a Migrant Worker, you just need to be in the UK on or before the 1st day of the 1st academic year to apply as a Migrant Worker.

You mention your third year starts September 2021, so that means your course started September 2019. That means you need to have been resident in the UK by the 01/09/2016 in order to switch over to being a home student as 01/09/2016 is 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course.

Please upload your share code PDF and please upload the letter PDF emailed to you by the home office confirming your settled status and our residency team will review.
Thanks, Isaac
emeraldde
Rep:
?
You don't need 3 years in the UK to apply as a Migrant Worker, you just need to be in the UK on or before the 1st day of the 1st academic year to apply as a Migrant Worker.

You mention your third year starts September 2021, so that means your course started September 2019. That means you need to have been resident in the UK by the 01/09/2016 in order to switch over to being a home student as 01/09/2016 is 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course.

Please upload your share code PDF and please upload the letter PDF emailed to you by the home office confirming your settled status and our residency team will review.
Thanks, Isaac
Oh wow, I could have applied as early as 2016 then if I didn't need to have lived for 3 years before applying for student loans. I thought I really needed 3 years residency before I could also apply for maintenance loan?? That's the info i got from all the research I did back in 2019. Or are you just talking about tuition fee? In my case, I applied for both tuition fee and maintenance loan.

Thanks again Isaac,

Em
Last edited by emeraldde; 2 months ago
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh wow, I could have applied as early as 2016 then if I didn't need to have lived for 3 years before applying for student loans. I thought I really needed 3 years residency before I could also apply for maintenance loan?? That's the info i got from all the research I did back in 2016. Or are you just talking about tuition fee? In my case, I applied for both tuition fee and maintenance loan.

Thanks again Isaac,

Em
No, you couldn't of applied back then as a home student, but you could of applied as a Migrant Worker to receive the Maintenance Loan.
This new settled status rule was only introduced now due to brexit
Before this year, EU Nationals needed 5 years residency in the UK prior to the first day of the first academic year to be classed as home students.

Now the new rule is that an EU National needs to have full settled status and 3 years ordinary residency in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first ay.

However if the above criteria can't be met ^ then EU Nationals can apply for SFE funding under the Migrant Worker category, 3 years in the UK is not required for this and has never been required. 3 years residency in the EU/EEA is required and you must be in the UK by the first day of the first academic year.
Thanks, Isaac
emeraldde
Rep:
?
No, you couldn't of applied back then as a home student, but you could of applied as a Migrant Worker to receive the Maintenance Loan.
This new settled status rule was only introduced now due to brexit
Before this year, EU Nationals needed 5 years residency in the UK prior to the first day of the first academic year to be classed as home students.

Now the new rule is that an EU National needs to have full settled status and 3 years ordinary residency in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first ay.

However if the above criteria can't be met ^ then EU Nationals can apply for SFE funding under the Migrant Worker category, 3 years in the UK is not required for this and has never been required. 3 years residency in the EU/EEA is required and you must be in the UK by the first day of the first academic year.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac,

Thank you for all your answers and patience. The reason why I've been asking this becuase all the people I've asked told me the same thing - your status on the first day of the first academic year will dictate your status for the rest of your programme. and this has scared me so much as i know 3rd year will be more demanding because of dissertation and longer placements etc.

This has really been reassuring as I am looking forward to my third year being less stressful! I don't know how im gonna survive if I have to juggle full time uni and work 🥴

Thank you again and have a lovely evening!

em
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi Isaac,

Thank you for all your answers and patience. The reason why I've been asking this becuase all the people I've asked told me the same thing - your status on the first day of the first academic year will dictate your status for the rest of your programme. and this has scared me so much as i know 3rd year will be more demanding because of dissertation and longer placements etc.

This has really been reassuring as I am looking forward to my third year being less stressful! I don't know how im gonna survive if I have to juggle full time uni and work 🥴

Thank you again and have a lovely evening!

em
You're welcome.

The reason why I've been asking this becuase all the people I've asked told me the same thing - your status on the first day of the first academic year will dictate your status for the rest of your programme
Yes this was true, until the new settled status rules were introduced. Now it's called an 'event' so when a student gains settled status they can switch for example from receiving just the EU tuition fee funding to home student funding as long as they were in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year.

I hope you have a lovely evening too

Thanks, Isaac
emeraldde
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello SFE,

Good morning. Just a follow up question regarding change of status, do I need to call SFE to inform them I have uploaded documents?

Will they know I have uploaded something?

Thank you.
emeraldde
Rep:
?

Thanks, Isaac
Hello SFE,

Good evening. I called SFE again regarding this because I just uploaded my letter and the sharecode so naturally I asked if this will affect my application and he flatly told me that it wont. That the new rule only applies to students starting in september this year. That i should believe him because he works for the government and the SFE representatives here on this forum only work for universities.

Perhaps if you can send me a link to this new rule that I can see and read with my own eyes.

Thank you.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello SFE,

Good evening. I called SFE again regarding this because I just uploaded my letter and the sharecode so naturally I asked if this will affect my application and he flatly told me that it wont. That the new rule only applies to students starting in september this year. That i should believe him because he works for the government and the SFE representatives here on this forum only work for universities.

Perhaps if you can send me a link to this new rule that I can see and read with my own eyes.

Thank you.
I don't work for any university.
I have been employed by the Students Loans Company since 2013 and I'm an SFE social media advisor with experience across most departments in the business.

The new rule doesn't only apply to new 21/22 students, this is wrong information.

If you message us on Facebook/Twitter and ask to speak to me (Isaac) then I will review your account and help you apply correctly.

Twitter DM Link from Public - http://ow.ly/4Em330nPlau
FB link to Private http://m.me/SFEngland

Thanks, Isaac
emeraldde
Rep:
?
Hello Isaac,

Thanks for your reply.

I really hope SLC/SFE should retrain their telephone representatives regarding the new rule because this is just wrong. It is really confusing and frustrating that we get contradictory informations.

Anyways, I have already uploaded the letter of status and the sharecode. If what you're saying is true, then they will tell me I don't need to show proof of employment anymore.

I just hope that the assessors are also aware of the new rule.

Kind regards,

e
Last edited by emeraldde; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (73)
22.74%
Excited but a bit nervous (145)
45.17%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.84%
I'm really nervous (65)
20.25%

Watched Threads