The Student Room Group

Performance requirement on BMus courses at University

Hi, I’m thinking of applying to both Uni and Conservatoire to study Music. My main interest is Composition and I will apply for both Composition BMus at Conservatoire and more general BMus courses at Uni (which look really varied and interesting but which also have a strong Composition component). It is the more general BMus Uni courses (particularly London Unis such as City, Goldsmiths and King’s) which I am looking for advice on here. I’m also a cello player (Grade 8 level). I want to continue to learn and to play cello and I enjoy ensemble playing but I do not want to be a cellist as a career. I also think that I’m likely to be playing at a lower level than required for Conservatoire ensemble playing whereas I may be ok for Uni ensemble playing. I’m also really drawn to the free lessons offered at some Unis to instrumentalists who have reached a grade 7/8 level. My question: practically speaking what are the performance expectations of BMus Uni students receiving free instrumental lessons at Uni. What is the general playing level of ensemble groups at Uni and, lastly, in addition to any required performance modules which they must take as part of their BMus, how many ensembles must they be prepared to be involved with? I would love to hear from anyone whose followed the Uni path for BMus. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest