Rushi_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I’m unsure if I should stay at student halls in the first year of Uni or not. I think it could be a fun experience but then again it might be horrible. I’m not really a sociable person and the uni I want to go to is 1-2 hours away from where I live. Is that far or manageable? I would just like some advice on wether or not staying at uni for the first year is worth it.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Rushi_)
I’m unsure if I should stay at student halls in the first year of Uni or not. I think it could be a fun experience but then again it might be horrible. I’m not really a sociable person and the uni I want to go to is 1-2 hours away from where I live. Is that far or manageable? I would just like some advice on wether or not staying at uni for the first year is worth it.
Which Uni are you hoping to go to?

I would suggest that a place in Halls would be the best option.
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Stay in uni Halls - you will miss out on so much social stuff. A daily 4-hour commute is just not realistic. I know trains have wifi now so you can sit and study but it will not be fun to do that every day. To attend a 9am lecture you would have to set off at 7am from your home and hope the train is not delayed. Worse still if you think you can drive that distance every day - come winter time the roads are murder.
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I know people who commuted about an hour from uni. Personally, 1-2 hours is a big difference, 1 hour is ok, but 2 hours is a far far stretch! I think, with COVID, idk how much fun your gonna have in the first year, but definitely consider your options xx
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
Stay in uni Halls - you will miss out on so much social stuff. A daily 4-hour commute is just not realistic. I know trains have wifi now so you can sit and study but it will not be fun to do that every day. To attend a 9am lecture you would have to set off at 7am from your home and hope the train is not delayed. Worse still if you think you can drive that distance every day - come winter time the roads are murder.
Very valid point about driving But, guess its weighing up costs and what's best for your learning and environment. Uni is the place where people grow - I definitely did.
Rushi_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
Which Uni are you hoping to go to?

I would suggest that a place in Halls would be the best option.
Kings college london
Rushi_
Rep:
?
(Original post by MKaur18)
I know people who commuted about an hour from uni. Personally, 1-2 hours is a big difference, 1 hour is ok, but 2 hours is a far far stretch! I think, with COVID, idk how much fun your gonna have in the first year, but definitely consider your options xx
Thanks for the advice xx
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Kings college london
There is a nice selection, one of these will be perfect for you.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/accommodation/residences
Rushi_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
There is a nice selection, one of these will be perfect for you.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/accommodation/residences
Thank you! X
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (68)
18.73%
Virtual accommodation tour (53)
14.6%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.68%
Video content about the local area (4)
1.1%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.03%
Taster lectures or seminars (78)
21.49%
Speak to current students studying my course (82)
22.59%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (16)
4.41%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.58%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.2%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
1.93%

Watched Threads