The Student Room Group

career and picking a level advice

hi! at the moment i am kind of struggling to choose my 3rd a level (i've already choosen english lit and spanish)
my parents are suggesting doing IT because it's popular and it gives you good job opportunities. I'm not good at maths and I haven't taken Computer Science for GCSE because I didn't find it interesting at the time. however, i'm not sure what I want to do in the future- I know that I want to work with languages but I also want a job that will pay me well.

Does anyone have any advice on how to choose my 3rd a level and essentially choosing an industry I want to work in the future?
Original post by clair99
hi! at the moment i am kind of struggling to choose my 3rd a level (i've already choosen english lit and spanish)
my parents are suggesting doing IT because it's popular and it gives you good job opportunities. I'm not good at maths and I haven't taken Computer Science for GCSE because I didn't find it interesting at the time. however, i'm not sure what I want to do in the future- I know that I want to work with languages but I also want a job that will pay me well.

Does anyone have any advice on how to choose my 3rd a level and essentially choosing an industry I want to work in the future?

Do something that you enjoy and is efficient for something you you want to do in the future. Choose a facilitating subject if you don't know what to choose because universities will encourage you to
Reply 2
Original post by clair99

Hi :smile:
I've recently submitted my a level choices and the advice that my school has given us is to choose subjects that you enjoyed at GCSE/ think you would enjoy at A level (if you haven't taken it at GCSE) and not to focus on jobs yet. However, they have said that maths is very useful as it opens doors to lots of different careers, but if you don't enjoy maths I wouldn't take it at a level.
English lit and spanish so far sound like really good choices, especially if you want to work with languages & the essay writing in english will be really useful. Computer science sounds like a good choice but I would only take it if you enjoy it as it's not even a requirement for computing at university.

In terms of choosing an industry to work in the future, I would go to different virtual webinars/ careers talks to find out more about different potential university courses and careers. You could do careers quizzes to find out about different jobs or find some virtual work experience so that you can have an insight into various careers. Also speak to your teachers (for spanish and IT) / school careers advisor to see if they can help

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by chelsea.uri
Do something that you enjoy and is efficient for something you you want to do in the future. Choose a facilitating subject if you don't know what to choose because universities will encourage you to

ty for your reply, i've just found out that english lit and spanish are facilitating subjects so that's good news.
Reply 4
Original post by d3rin13
Hi :smile:
I've recently submitted my a level choices and the advice that my school has given us is to choose subjects that you enjoyed at GCSE/ think you would enjoy at A level (if you haven't taken it at GCSE) and not to focus on jobs yet. However, they have said that maths is very useful as it opens doors to lots of different careers, but if you don't enjoy maths I wouldn't take it at a level.
English lit and spanish so far sound like really good choices, especially if you want to work with languages & the essay writing in english will be really useful. Computer science sounds like a good choice but I would only take it if you enjoy it as it's not even a requirement for computing at university.

In terms of choosing an industry to work in the future, I would go to different virtual webinars/ careers talks to find out more about different potential university courses and careers. You could do careers quizzes to find out about different jobs or find some virtual work experience so that you can have an insight into various careers. Also speak to your teachers (for spanish and IT) / school careers advisor to see if they can help

Hope that helps :smile:

yes your answer really helped- thank you :smile:
Original post by clair99
ty for your reply, i've just found out that english lit and spanish are facilitating subjects so that's good news.

That’s great
You’re welcome
Original post by clair99

Hi there,

I am currently a student at Portsmouth University.

I would recommend choosing A-levels based on what subjects you enjoy and are good at. I would also take into account what you would like to do in the future. If you don't know what you want to do, you can aim to keep your options open. However, if you enjoy a subject, you will generally do better and enjoy studying that topic more.

I hope this helps
Ethan - UOP Rep
Original post by clair99

The concept of 'facilitating subjects' was dropped by Russell Group Universities two years ago : https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/may/23/russell-group-scraps-preferred-a-levels-list-after-arts-subjects-hit

As a result of marketing legislation, all Universities have to be entirely up-front about what subjects are 'required' or 'preferred' for any course. There are no 'secrets' or 'only we know this' information.
Hi, I would recommend looking at subjects that open doors, but only if you're also interested in them. Also, keep your subject choices constantly under review, even when you start studying in September. You can always change subjects, but the earlier you change, the better and less awkward it is for everyone. It is really important to be honest with yourself about what you truly are passionate about, as studying these subjects will motivate you and will be fun. I am currently looking to change my subjects in term 5 of year 12, which is obviously not a good idea, but I need biology to study the courses that I'm interested in later on. I never knew I'd end up so fascinated by biology, so make sure you know what you love doing and what allows you to pursue your dreams! Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi there,

I am currently a student at Portsmouth University.

I would recommend choosing A-levels based on what subjects you enjoy and are good at. I would also take into account what you would like to do in the future. If you don't know what you want to do, you can aim to keep your options open. However, if you enjoy a subject, you will generally do better and enjoy studying that topic more.

I hope this helps
Ethan - UOP Rep

Hello,
Thank you so much for your advice, I will take it into account :smile:
Reply 11
Reply 12
Original post by CherryMochiCat
Hi, I would recommend looking at subjects that open doors, but only if you're also interested in them. Also, keep your subject choices constantly under review, even when you start studying in September. You can always change subjects, but the earlier you change, the better and less awkward it is for everyone. It is really important to be honest with yourself about what you truly are passionate about, as studying these subjects will motivate you and will be fun. I am currently looking to change my subjects in term 5 of year 12, which is obviously not a good idea, but I need biology to study the courses that I'm interested in later on. I never knew I'd end up so fascinated by biology, so make sure you know what you love doing and what allows you to pursue your dreams! Best of luck! :smile:

ah okay, thanks for the information! I hope everything goes well for you too! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest