Strange situation - degree classification?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi so I have something of a strange situation on my hands. I'm in my 3rd year about to graduate but last year when the pandemic hit, other things hit the fan also and I did not complete two of my modules. I've read the transcript for the year and it says I only for 90 of the 120 credits for the year...but I was allowed to pass the year without explanation.

I am averaging above 70% so would love to get a 1st classified degree, and my lecturers seem to believe this won't affect my ability to get a 1st due to COVID related regulation changes BUT the regulations I have read state 360 credits are needed still.
All in all, I am confused and a bit sad at the prospect of graduating with just a 'Pass' degree, especially because my performance in the modules I have done is generally high. I have my foot in the door for a job upon graduation so it's not all bad, and I'm considering studying for a Masters after a year of work.

What do you guys think? If I do graduate without Honours, is there a way I can get Honours? Would this affect my ability to get accepted onto a masters course?

Any input is appreciated
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 1 week ago
What university and course? Or a link to the course handbook

You typically need to pass 360 credits for an honours degree - a pass degree despite the name is considered a fail. No masters course would take you without honours.
Cat Tonge (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi so I have something of a strange situation on my hands. I'm in my 3rd year about to graduate but last year when the pandemic hit, other things hit the fan also and I did not complete two of my modules. I've read the transcript for the year and it says I only for 90 of the 120 credits for the year...but I was allowed to pass the year without explanation.

I am averaging above 70% so would love to get a 1st classified degree, and my lecturers seem to believe this won't affect my ability to get a 1st due to COVID related regulation changes BUT the regulations I have read state 360 credits are needed still.
All in all, I am confused and a bit sad at the prospect of graduating with just a 'Pass' degree, especially because my performance in the modules I have done is generally high. I have my foot in the door for a job upon graduation so it's not all bad, and I'm considering studying for a Masters after a year of work.

What do you guys think? If I do graduate without Honours, is there a way I can get Honours? Would this affect my ability to get accepted onto a masters course?

Any input is appreciated
Hi Anon,

Typically, to get the honors part of the degree you need to have completed and passed a dissertation (some unis might call this an extended research project or something similar).

I would suggest that typically you would struggle to get onto a MA course without the dissertation aspect of the undergrad but not impossible. Typically you need a 1st or 2:1 in an undergrad to get onto an MA and so there MIGHT be potential if you can prove your standard of work, just the lack of a dissertation honors.
You may also be able to use COVID-19 as an extenuating circumstance, however, I wouldn't recommend relying on this.

My advice would be to speak to your tutors about what your lack of modules means for your classification and honors situation, and then contact your careers team as they will also support students in postgraduate applications. They will likely be able to help you work out more specifically what options are available to you.

Good luck and all the best,
Cat, York St John University Student Ambassador
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
What university and course? Or a link to the course handbook

You typically need to pass 360 credits for an honours degree - a pass degree despite the name is considered a fail. No masters course would take you without honours.
The honours are a dissertation or equivalent, not the number of credits
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Cat Tonge (YSJU Student Ambassador))
Hi Anon,

Typically, to get the honors part of the degree you need to have completed and passed a dissertation (some unis might call this an extended research project or something similar).

I would suggest that typically you would struggle to get onto a MA course without the dissertation aspect of the undergrad but not impossible. Typically you need a 1st or 2:1 in an undergrad to get onto an MA and so there MIGHT be potential if you can prove your standard of work, just the lack of a dissertation honors.
You may also be able to use COVID-19 as an extenuating circumstance, however, I wouldn't recommend relying on this.

My advice would be to speak to your tutors about what your lack of modules means for your classification and honors situation, and then contact your careers team as they will also support students in postgraduate applications. They will likely be able to help you work out more specifically what options are available to you.

Good luck and all the best,
Cat, York St John University Student Ambassador
Hi Cat,

I will certainly complete my dissertation project to a high standard, however it is two 2nd year units that I did not officially gain credits for. I ended 2nd year with 90/120 credits, but anticipate 120/120 for my 3rd and final year. I'm concerned that my tutors have gotten it wrong in saying that I should be able to get a 1st still despite missing 30 credits. I do have very good reason not to have completed them but am panicking all the same.

Thanks for the reply
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The honours are a dissertation or equivalent, not the number of credits
It depends on the university that's why I asked about which university/course Why are you posting anonymously? :rolleyes:

It was 300 credits for an ordinary/pass degree and 360 for an honours at my undergrad university. There is sometimes a final year requirement to pass (i.e. get 35%) at least 'x amount' credits of your final year to proceed to honours but you still have to acquire 360 in total.

OP did you not get a 'report' about your modules at the end of your second year? They should have surely taken into account the Covid situation at that time. You need to ask your tutors for clarification :erm:
Last edited by EierVonSatan; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
It depends on the university that's why I asked about which university/course Why are you posting anonymously? :rolleyes:

It was 300 credits for an ordinary/pass degree and 360 for an honours at my undergrad university. There is sometimes a final year requirement to pass (i.e. get 35%) at least 'x amount' credits of your final year to proceed to honours but you still have to acquire 360 in total.

OP did you not get a 'report' about your modules at the end of your second year? They should have surely taken into account the Covid situation at that time. You need to ask your tutors for clarification :erm:
Hi, my university has the same policy. I deem the situation strange because I was allowed to pass the year despite not completing these two modules, and my tutors say regulation changes mean I will still be able to get a first. I just have my doubts because it seems to me that the 2021 regulations are explicit in that 360 units are needed. I wonder if they would allow me to resit late? I had exceptional factors for bereavement approved at the time of the submission dates.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (92)
42.79%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (37)
17.21%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (83)
38.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (3)
1.4%

Watched Threads