Razzan_Swallmeh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am in year 10 doing IGCSEs in Qatar.
I do have the option to switch to GCSE to have the chance to do some of my choices earlier than the rest. I am going to start term 3 in a couple of weeks and I am not sure if this is a good idea. I will have to take probably different material in the different subjects and start over. Is this a good idea? Are GCSEs better recognized in a grammar school in the UK for A-levels?
Last edited by Razzan_Swallmeh; 1 week ago
mayaleila
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello! I would advise you to keep your IGCSEs due to the syllabus changes they are not too big a change but still there. I currently have 5 IGCSES and 2 GCSEs i’m doing my AS levels this year.
IGCSEs have some differences, one being the fact that english language for some may not be first as well as the syllabus covering more worldwide case studies versus the UK being majority UK specific.
From my own experience I haven’t seen much difference at all as I have family and friends in the UK which have taken GCSE, and I also lived in Qatar for 2 years therefore know friends there doing IGCSEs and A levels there, depending on universities they also don’t view these grades differently and you have the same standard to get in with for example any UK student with the same subject.
the_pharaoh
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Razzan_Swallmeh)
I am in year 10 doing IGCSEs in Qatar.
I do have the option to switch to GCSE to have the chance to do some of my choices earlier than the rest. I am going to start term 3 in a couple of weeks and I am not sure if this is a good idea. I will have to take probably different material in the different subjects and start over. Is this a good idea? Is it better to do my test earlier? and are IGCSEs harder than GCSEs?
The material isn't that different

but IGCSE is easier but has way higher grade boundaries since for most of my subjects I do GCSE but some are IGCSE

also it depends on the subject and exam board
Last edited by the_pharaoh; 1 week ago
Razzan_Swallmeh
Rep:
?
(Original post by mayaleila)
Hello! I would advise you to keep your IGCSEs due to the syllabus changes they are not too big a change but still there. I currently have 5 IGCSES and 2 GCSEs i’m doing my AS levels this year.
IGCSEs have some differences, one being the fact that english language for some may not be first as well as the syllabus covering more worldwide case studies versus the UK being majority UK specific.
From my own experience I haven’t seen much difference at all as I have family and friends in the UK which have taken GCSE, and I also lived in Qatar for 2 years therefore know friends there doing IGCSEs and A levels there, depending on universities they also don’t view these grades differently and you have the same standard to get in with for example any UK student with the same subject.
Thank you so much for your response!!
I am currently taking first English Language at my school. I am worried about the syllabus change since it is quite late now. The main reason I want to switch is that I want to study for my A-levels in the UK. If I switch to GCSEs, I will then do some of my tests this year in the UK and that would be an earlier start for me so that I can apply to a university there. My school does not offer students the opportunity to finish some of their tests earlier and that is why my parents like the idea that if I switch, I can relieve some of the weight off my shoulders instead of doing all my tests at the end of year 11. You will need to have lived there for 3 years and if I do homeschooling in Qatar for a GCSE school board in the UK, I will be able to move to the UK earlier to finish those 3 years and it would seem as though I studied there. Do you think that these benefits will overcome the disadvantages of switching this late?
Razzan_Swallmeh
Rep:
?
(Original post by the_pharaoh)
The material isn't that different

but IGCSE is easier but has way higher grade boundaries since for most of my subjects I do GCSE but some are IGCSE

also it depends on the subject and exam board
I have heard that there is quite a difference in the subjects that I am taking like History and Geography. That is why I am a bit concerned.
the_pharaoh
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Razzan_Swallmeh)
I have heard that there is quite a difference in the subjects that I am taking like History and Geography. That is why I am a bit concerned.
Then don't risk it
AI073
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

I take a mixture of iGCSEs and GCSEs in the UK. They are considered equivalent qualification so neither is better than the other. Some school prefer iGCSEs because they are supposedly easier but I don’t believe that this is true anymore. I would stick with whatever you have been doing or what your teachers are more prepared for. If they have more experience teaching iGCSEs, it would make more sense to stick with them. For sixth forms, they are considered equivalent so shouldn’t make any difference.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (102)
5.18%
Uncertainty around my education (295)
14.98%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (208)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (276)
14.02%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (86)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (112)
5.69%
Loneliness (172)
8.74%
Financial worries (70)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.37%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.67%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (175)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (187)
9.5%

Watched Threads