The Student Room Group

Question about references

So I'm starting a new job and for the application form I have to provide a reference but the reference can't be a previous employer. The only work experience I have is working as a volunteer for a charity shop which was unpaid work so I've never actually been employed so will I be able to add my manager I worked with while volunteering as a reference as he technically isn't a previous employer?
Original post by CF12399
So I'm starting a new job and for the application form I have to provide a reference but the reference can't be a previous employer. The only work experience I have is working as a volunteer for a charity shop which was unpaid work so I've never actually been employed so will I be able to add my manager I worked with while volunteering as a reference as he technically isn't a previous employer?

From what you've said, I would say that your manager while volunteering is NOT counted as a previous employer, given that you were not paid, only gave up your time.
"I've never actually been employed" - Yeah. I wouldn't count them as a previous employer as you volunteered to give your time.
Original post by CF12399

Hi!

yes, I don't see why not.
there's always the option of previous teachers or if you do a sport asking the coach.

Best of luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

yes, I don't see why not.
there's always the option of previous teachers or if you do a sport asking the coach.

Best of luck!

Thank you

I've also been trying to get in touch with my personal tutor and lecturers from when I was at university about using them as a reference but I've been unable to email them from my personal email as when I send the email it says the message has been blocked for some reason, I can't use my university email anymore to contact them because it's expired as I graduated last year
Original post by CF12399
Thank you

I've also been trying to get in touch with my personal tutor and lecturers from when I was at university about using them as a reference but I've been unable to email them from my personal email as when I send the email it says the message has been blocked for some reason, I can't use my university email anymore to contact them because it's expired as I graduated last year

Hey @CF12399

As Chloe mentioned you can definitely use your manager as a reference when you did your volunteering work.

You could always try phoning the university, tell them you've been trying to get in touch with your personal tutor and lecturers and see what they say?

Does your university have a Careers Service? It's always worth trying to send them an email or call them to see if there's anything they can do :smile:

Good luck!

Melissa- Student Ambassador
Original post by CF12399
Thank you

Hi! @CF12399

Have you tried contacting the faculty. There should be a contact page for the university where people outside the university can query things.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending