Anyone else considering a completely different career path after uni?

Watch
Flozzie543
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm in my last year doing politics and philosophy, depending on how my last assignment goes, I should achieve a 2:1 (by the skin of my teeth, struggled with my mental health a lot in second year thanks to an abusive relationship and grades took a hit)

To be honest, I regret the degree I chose. I hated some modules and wish I'd come out with better grades. One of my A Levels were psychology, I honestly loved it and came out with an A which I was gassed with. Everyone I knew doing psychology at uni did a maths or science a level (my other subjects were english and history) so I got scared off doing psychology at uni, thinking I couldn't handle the maths or science aspects. I actually found the stats and research methods easy and loved biopsychology, so unsure why.

My plan after my degree was to join the civil service or do something in politics and I've been struggling the last year or so with the fact I just don't want to, and I wish I'd done psychology instead. I did a CDM module last year where I ran a mental health organisation and I also did samaritans training.

I've recently discovered that there are psychology conversion masters. There aren't many as I'd want to do it part time and online while I work as I'm a bit done being a broke student lol. They're all BPS accredited so I'd be qualified to then train to become a chartered psychologist, I've talked to one university who's said I'm eligible to apply as I have a 2:1 undergrad plus some psychology background. Is it worth going for it? I'm still a bit nervous the jump from a BA to a MSC will be too much. I'd really appreciate input just from anyone who doesn't want to follow the route that their degree set out, or is doing a very different masters
Last edited by Flozzie543; 1 week ago
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Flozzie543)
I'm in my last year doing politics and philosophy, depending on how my last assignment goes, I should achieve a 2:1 (by the skin of my teeth, struggled with my mental health a lot in second year thanks to an abusive relationship and grades took a hit)

To be honest, I regret the degree I chose. I hated some modules and wish I'd come out with better grades. One of my A Levels were psychology, I honestly loved it and came out with an A which I was gassed with. Everyone I knew doing psychology at uni did a maths or science a level (my other subjects were english and history) so I got scared off doing psychology at uni, thinking I couldn't handle the maths or science aspects. I actually found the stats and research methods easy and loved biopsychology, so unsure why.

My plan after my degree was to join the civil service or do something in politics and I've been struggling the last year or so with the fact I just don't want to, and I wish I'd done psychology instead. I did a CDM module last year where I ran a mental health organisation and I also did samaritans training.

I've recently discovered that there are psychology conversion masters. There aren't many as I'd want to do it part time and online while I work as I'm a bit done being a broke student lol. They're all BPS accredited so I'd be qualified to then train to become a chartered psychologist, I've talked to one university who's said I'm eligible to apply as I have a 2:1 undergrad plus some psychology background. Is it worth going for it? I'm still a bit nervous the jump from a BA to a MSC will be too much. I'd really appreciate input just from anyone who doesn't want to follow the route that their degree set out, or is doing a very different masters
Kind of have some experience in this area, but doing different subjects.

The jump from BA to MSc is not that much actually. In principle, a MSc is a postgrad diploma with a master's dissertation. In other words, you would be doing the equivalent of half of a bachelor's in psychology, and a master's dissertation on top. Having read up on the curriculum for these qualifications, they tend not to be that challenging in terms of intensity. If you have done a joint philosophy degree, then you should be more than OK to handle the reading needed.

The thing about going into psychology, is that it's a ridiculously competitive field (like most popular jobs), so you have to bear in mind that you could be doing all the qualifications you need and still struggle to get the job. Have you spoken to any psychologists out there?
Flozzie543
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by MindMax2000)
Kind of have some experience in this area, but doing different subjects.

The jump from BA to MSc is not that much actually. In principle, a MSc is a postgrad diploma with a master's dissertation. In other words, you would be doing the equivalent of half of a bachelor's in psychology, and a master's dissertation on top. Having read up on the curriculum for these qualifications, they tend not to be that challenging in terms of intensity. If you have done a joint philosophy degree, then you should be more than OK to handle the reading needed.

The thing about going into psychology, is that it's a ridiculously competitive field (like most popular jobs), so you have to bear in mind that you could be doing all the qualifications you need and still struggle to get the job. Have you spoken to any psychologists out there?
The main thing I've been told from other psychology students is to not expect a job in psychology just from getting a degree in it. I plan on doing as much volunteering with mental health services like Samaritans and Shout while doing the masters as I can
Arden University
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Flozzie543)

Hey Flozzie543,

I was the same, put off by doing a Psychology degree when I finished school due to all the studies and work I'd be expected to do. 10 years later and I am coming to the end of my part time online Conversion Course and must say I am so pleased I eventually took the plunge to do it after the huge gap. The very structure of conversion programmes accounts for those who have varied backgrounds in the area and so extra support is given in developing and homing the needed skills. It has also made me realise exactly what I want to do in the future and route to go down too :-)

Abigail
Arden University Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (172)
41.85%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (61)
14.84%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (170)
41.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.95%

Watched Threads