The Student Room Group

How much do you have in savings???

Scroll to see replies

£138 from birthday money lol
Reply 21
You’re doing well for savings. The issue is there are no current or savings accounts, including cash ISA, paying any sensible interest at the moment which means that money not invested is slowly being eaten at by inflation. Anything you don’t need in the next 3-5 years I would put in to the shares ISA. Keep the rest readily available but keep browsing for any more promising interest rates. Money Saving Expert is a website I use for guidance on savings accounts. Also get as much free advice as you can from any sources, wise friends, banks, money sections of newspapers etc.
Original post by Zarek
You’re doing well for savings. The issue is there are no current or savings accounts, including cash ISA, paying any sensible interest at the moment which means that money not invested is slowly being eaten at by inflation. Anything you don’t need in the next 3-5 years I would put in to the shares ISA. Keep the rest readily available but keep browsing for any more promising interest rates. Money Saving Expert is a website I use for guidance on savings accounts. Also get as much free advice as you can from any sources, wise friends, banks, money sections of newspapers etc.

I agree with this but I think it's a hard balance. For example, let's say you keep around 3 months emergency fund (maybe around 4-5k) and the rest you invest, so it's strapped away. But then, for example, your car breaks down and needs to be scrapped (so you need to buy a new car) or you need major repair work done on your house, you're going to need to use that emergency money plus the money that's supposed to be put away for the long term. So then you might get penalties when you try to access the rest of your money, whether that be from a certain ISA or for having to take it out of your pension fund or maybe you need to sell some stocks you've invested in and those stocks are down in value so you've lost money.

In short, what I'm saying is basically I think inflation is the price to pay for easy access to your money, personally, it's a price that's got to be paid for ease of mind (unless of course, nobody else worries about these hypothetical emergency scenarios lol)
Original post by JackDarley03
I agree with this but I think it's a hard balance. For example, let's say you keep around 3 months emergency fund (maybe around 4-5k) and the rest you invest, so it's strapped away. But then, for example, your car breaks down and needs to be scrapped (so you need to buy a new car) or you need major repair work done on your house, you're going to need to use that emergency money plus the money that's supposed to be put away for the long term. So then you might get penalties when you try to access the rest of your money, whether that be from a certain ISA or for having to take it out of your pension fund or maybe you need to sell some stocks you've invested in and those stocks are down in value so you've lost money.

In short, what I'm saying is basically I think inflation is the price to pay for easy access to your money, personally, it's a price that's got to be paid for ease of mind (unless of course, nobody else worries about these hypothetical emergency scenarios lol)

I don't own a car atm but what you've said is very true. Luckily Vanguard don't have withdrawal fees for their ISAs but a lot of others do, so I might deposit some more into there
Original post by Zarek

Yep, money saving expert is a really good website for that sort of thing. I'm gonna keep about £5-£7k in my debit account and then deposit the rest into the stocks and shares isa. Also double checked the withdrawal terms and there's no fees luckily
Reply 25
Original post by JackDarley03

I agree, best to have a reasonable emergency fund of up to £5k. OP still had £23k probably, probably earning precious little interest though. Better investments like shares ISA can still be reasonably quick access, albeit with some fees for selling and risk of needing to sell at a not the best time. A diversified shares ISA that matches your risk tolerance and from which money can be taken out promptly is probably the best bet at the moment, but I do still like to have some immediately available cash.
An overall general guideline is to have multiple times your pay saved by age 30, double your pay by 35, three times by 40, etc. Mean to save 15% of your compensation for retirement or start with a rate that is sensible for your financial plan and increment by 1% every year until you arrive at 15%
Reply 27
Original post by glassalice

Thanks DWP.

Yeah it is quite good that you're able to keep a five figure balance in savings yet the social security safety net will still kick in. Kinda suprised its not been cut during austerity to something more sensible like £2k.
Reply 28
Original post by andrewflintoff
An overall general guideline is to have multiple times your pay saved by age 30, double your pay by 35, three times by 40, etc. Mean to save 15% of your compensation for retirement or start with a rate that is sensible for your financial plan and increment by 1% every year until you arrive at 15%

Does that include pension?

If not, the suggestion is 8x salary at 65. What's all that money supposed to be for?

Do investments count as savings?
Original post by Quady
Yeah it is quite good that you're able to keep a five figure balance in savings yet the social security safety net will still kick in. Kinda suprised its not been cut during austerity to something more sensible like £2k.

I was in recite of the legacy income-based ESA which is far more generous than the newer Universal Credit.

The savings limit for Income based ESA was £16,000.

Universal credit will disregard savings of up to £6000 in their calculations, every £250 in savings above that limit is treated as an income of £4.35 a week?. Like ESA, the savings limit is still £16,000.
Reply 30
Original post by glassalice
I was in recite of the legacy income-based ESA which is far more generous than the newer Universal Credit.

The savings limit for Income based ESA was £16,000.

Universal credit will disregard savings of up to £6000 in their calculations, every £250 in savings above that limit is treated as an income of £4.35 a week?. Like ESA, the savings limit is still £16,000.

wow £16k
So closer to £20k than £10k then
HOW I BUDGET MY SALARY - BUDGETING FOR BEGINNERS - STUDENT FRIENDLY

https://youtu.be/KpRy-oiuwpk
Reply 32
Original post by amandaa.x
HOW I BUDGET MY SALARY - BUDGETING FOR BEGINNERS - STUDENT FRIENDLY

https://youtu.be/KpRy-oiuwpk

How much of it do you save?
Original post by Quady
How much of it do you save?

50% - and it’s not all exclusively in savings anymore, I’ve made lump sums into investments because I doubt I’ll need the money in the long term
(edited 3 years ago)
Everyone stores their money differently. Personally, I use what I need each month and then move what’s left to an accessible savings account. Once you’re living away from home for good and have a consistent income, it’s recommended to keep 3-6 months income in savings for emergencies and the rest can go towards goals such as car, house etc.

Personally I wouldn’t be advertising how much money I have anywhere online.
Reply 35
50% - almost 1k a month and it’s not all exclusively in savings anymore, I’ve made lump sums into investments because I doubt I’ll need the money in the long term

So is it 50% then investments on top? Or 50% including investments?
Original post by Quady
So is it 50% then investments on top? Or 50% including investments?

At the moment, 60% is savings and investments, 15% of which is savings, 5-10% is crypto and the rest is in an S&S ISA
Reply 37
At the moment, 60% is savings and investments, 15% of which is savings, 5-10% is crypto and the rest is in an S&S ISA

For me I'm putting nothing into savings. 45% of take home pay is going into an S&S ISA. Another 20% into a non ISA investment account.
Original post by Quady
For me I'm putting nothing into savings. 45% of take home pay is going into an S&S ISA. Another 20% into a non ISA investment account.

Sometimes I get the urge to invest ALL my savings but in the past week my portfolio has gone from +£200 to +£50 and now I’m shook
Reply 39
Sometimes I get the urge to invest ALL my savings but in the past week my portfolio has gone from +£200 to +£50 and now I’m shook

Today I lost three weeks take home pay, paper loss, not crystalised.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending