a.k.jones
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I've always been pushed to have a job at 16, and now that I am that age I've been looking for a part-time one that I will be able to continue during college (as I will be in education full time). However, I've just been told that once a get a job, a percentage of my income (my parents haven't told me how much) will be taken out of my earnings as to go toward 'rent'.

I've already got money stress related issues due to my parents constantly talking about finances (despite the fact we are financially stable) as to deter me from buying anything - the only benefit to that is that it must have worked, because I have a fear of purchasing anything, even if it would be classed as essential - and this sudden lack of control from where I though I could build it is causing me yet more stress. I know that I will not be able to persuade them, so does anybody have any tips so that I can ensure there is proof of the explicit amount/percentage that will be redacted, so that it will not change further down the line (due to everything currently being so ambiguous).
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Sign a contract with them so everything is in writing.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
No. Paying rent to parents is an act of negotiation and is open to change. Ive never heard of anyone having a lodgers agreement (contract) with your parents.

As for your anxiety around money and relationship with your parents, thats what counselling or student support is for.

Dont conflate issues - you dont trust your parents with the amount of rent they may seek. You cant really control it so it is a fixed percentage that they tell you in advance and stick to. The answer to reducing your anxiety with your parents and finance was never going to be fixed the way you honed in on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads