What do you wish you knew before going to uni

Watch
Drogonmeister
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Comment some things you wish you knew before diving into the uni life to help freshers
itsyahg
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Drogonmeister)
Comment some things you wish you knew before diving into the uni life to help freshers
i wish i knew that i can take any course i want to take. I chose a slightly easier course than i could have chosen because i was worried the other one would be too hard and i may not be good enough. But now i do regret choosing the "easier" one. Also, to appreciate living out. I'm in my final 2 months and i wish i enjoyed myself more and stressed less.
University of Salford Student Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Drogonmeister,

Hope you're doing okay

I know this is random, but I really recommend bringing a doorstop with you to uni!

Your accommodation is such a great place to meet people, and propping the door to your room open when you're not working, on FaceTime, sleeping etc. will encourage not only your flatmates to come in for a chat but also anyone they might have visiting.

The girl who lived across the hall from me in first year is my bestie because of this!

Good luck,

Sophie - Student Ambassador
AnonyDD123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yoooo
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
1 - How better suited I was to it.
2 - Follow your passions!!!!!!!

GCSEs I got mostly Bs and a few As, though I spent all my study time watching zombie movies so I could've done a lot better but I just never knew how to study. During A Levels I was learning the hard way how severe my mental health was and dealing with sexual assault so I was lucky to pass with a C and two Ds.

In uni, however, I consistently got firsts and for my dissertation I completely turned everything around and got 80%. It was the highest grade in my course in my uni (a relatively newish uni) at the time so I was extremely shocked. But that's not my favourite fact about this. My favourite fact is that I really wanted to focus on Simon Baron-Cohen's research because I was going through a Sacha Baron-Cohen phase just before my dissertation time came around. Baron-Cohen's research definitely helped me flesh out my research and my passion for Sacha Baron-Cohen and Isla Fisher's movies kept me interested in writing about Simon Baron-Cohen hahaha. I put that 80% down to The Dictator and Now You See Me. :mmm:

The entire thing about learning styles and everyone learning differently is absolutely true. I realise now the independence and creative control I got in uni made all the difference. Plus the lack of exams helped me get firsts as well because my attention span hates studying for exams, but I could write an entire dissertation every day of the week.

Most importantly, though, is the essential fact that you have to follow your passion in uni. It's exhausting, it's demotivating, it's prolonged and sometimes feels like it'll never end. The dissertation burn out was something I didn't know existed until I spent 2 months trying to recover from it. So you have to love what you're studying because if you don't then you'll struggle more than most.
Drogonmeister
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Vixen47)
1 - How better suited I was to it.
2 - Follow your passions!!!!!!!

GCSEs I got mostly Bs and a few As, though I spent all my study time watching zombie movies so I could've done a lot better but I just never knew how to study. During A Levels I was learning the hard way how severe my mental health was and dealing with sexual assault so I was lucky to pass with a C and two Ds.

In uni, however, I consistently got firsts and for my dissertation I completely turned everything around and got 80%. It was the highest grade in my course in my uni (a relatively newish uni) at the time so I was extremely shocked. But that's not my favourite fact about this. My favourite fact is that I really wanted to focus on Simon Baron-Cohen's research because I was going through a Sacha Baron-Cohen phase just before my dissertation time came around. Baron-Cohen's research definitely helped me flesh out my research and my passion for Sacha Baron-Cohen and Isla Fisher's movies kept me interested in writing about Simon Baron-Cohen hahaha. I put that 80% down to The Dictator and Now You See Me. :mmm:

The entire thing about learning styles and everyone learning differently is absolutely true. I realise now the independence and creative control I got in uni made all the difference. Plus the lack of exams helped me get firsts as well because my attention span hates studying for exams, but I could write an entire dissertation every day of the week.

Most importantly, though, is the essential fact that you have to follow your passion in uni. It's exhausting, it's demotivating, it's prolonged and sometimes feels like it'll never end. The dissertation burn out was something I didn't know existed until I spent 2 months trying to recover from it. So you have to love what you're studying because if you don't then you'll struggle more than most.
Thanks! Do many people drop out of uni or what is normally the largest cause of stress etc?
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi there,

I hope you're excited about starting University soon.

Something I wish I knew before starting University was that everyone's in the same boat! This is so easy to forget but something that everyone should remember. I can only speak from experience, and sometimes freshers made me feel really overwhelmed - and on social media it often seemed that some people were having better times than me / I hadn't made enough friends (basically comparing myself!). But with time, you realise that everyone is in the same boat - and everyone is just trying to make friends / do the best they can! I wish someone had told me that, because it would have saved me a lot of upset!

I hope that's helpful, and something that you will remind yourself before starting Uni

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
amandaa.x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Uni Pros and Cons - Subscribe https://youtu.be/PZ7ah0OHewg
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hello!

Congratulations on going to uni

Some things that I think are a "must have" when going to uni are:

1. Slippers/ Sliders
I lived in sliders all the time at uni, mostly because I didn't know how clean the floor was haha!

2. Heated clothes horse/ stand up clothes dryer/ sock dryer

3. Disposable camera
It's a really great thing to do to make some memories and can print off at the end of the term/ year!

4. Mini portable speaker
Can use for pres or just in your bedroom.

5. Door stop
My flatmates did too and we chose to leave our door open if we felt like inviting others in our flat to come in our rooms, using a 'open door policy'. It was just a nice and easier way to get to know my flatmates and would definitely recommend it especially if you're not very confident in going and talking to people. However, double check with your accommodation about fire door regulation's/ safety measures.

6. Things to decorate your room with!
Photo frames, photo prints, soft furnishings, cacti, fake plants, fairy lights, lava lamp, bunting etc.

Also, it's a good idea to watch student moving in vlogs on Youtube to get some ideas! I also recommend having a list on your phone, as you'll find yourself randomly thinking of new things and you can make sure you write it down and don't forget!

Also,, I would advise that you don't take a kettle/toaster/microwave as if you're living in student halls with other students, the accommodation may provide it already, and other student's may have decided to take it and you don't want to end up with 6 kettles!

Best of luck at uni! Sam- Official Student Rep
University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Bring teabags!
My flatmate was kind enough to bring teabags and lots of biscuits when moving in and gathered us all together to meet and get to know each other. I never would have had the confidence to do it but I'm so glad she did. It really broke the ice and allowed us to connect over a brew.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (94)
42.53%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (38)
17.19%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (85)
38.46%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (4)
1.81%

Watched Threads