The Student Room Group

Hippos are under appreciated

Hippos are the greatest mammal on this planet. Why, Ill tell you. They sweat red stuff that looks like blood to keep their skin from drying out ( which also makes their milk look pink! ), they're ridiculously adorable, and popped up in our assignments and picture books as children, indirectly helping us learn to read and write. Furthermore hippos are just totally awesome, these semi-aquatic creatures are capable of cracking a human skull and often do tip boats, which is nuff said.

Unfortunately they're greatly underrated. Hippos are that animal that nobody really thinks about, they're just there. I dont know anyone who's favorite animal is a hippo, which I think would be changed if they were recognized more widely. The hippopotamus emoji (🦛) is hideous, someone clearly had some sort of grudge or agenda against these creatures while making it. The most obvious example of anti hippo propaganda is that National Hippo day falls smack dab in the middle of February. Honestly, does anyone actually like February? No, I dont think so, its cold and miserable.

I personally believe that this is a crying shame.

Why is this, why dont people see hippos like they see cows or chickens, or dogs? And how do TSRians suggest that we as humans better appreciate these mammals?

Scroll to see replies

They aren’t the greatest mammals.
I do
I love hippos :u:
pandas >>
Well for starters, trying to spell their full name gives one an epileptic fit.

And they all desperately need a dentist.

And they’re violent af.
well.
thanks for enlightening me
they seem great
Reply 6
Original post by CaptainDuckie
They aren’t the greatest mammals.

Debating how awesome they are is not the point of this thread, but surely you think they're at least slightly cute/cool?
(edited 3 years ago)
Rhinos are better imo.
Reply 8
Ooh, I do love 'em.

On another note,

Hippopotamus is the full name.

However it is not the same as Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia (Fear of long words).
They are awful when it comes to being territorial and, consequently, are incredibly dangerous killing a surprisingly high number of people.
They mark their territory by waggling their tails so as to spray their own faeces around which is disgusting.
Reply 10
Original post by Celtic Conjurer
Well for starters, trying to spell their full name gives one an epileptic fit.

And they all desperately need a dentist.

And they’re violent af.

Have you ever considered that maybe you're just a horrid speller.
Most animals need a dentist.
The violence adds to their awesomeness. Unlike other aggressive animals they dont have sharp teeth, they rely on sheer strength :yep:
Original post by Foxehh
Have you ever considered that maybe you're just a horrid speller.
Most animals need a dentist.
The violence adds to their awesomeness. Unlike other aggressive animals they dont have sharp teeth, they rely on sheer strength :yep:

No, they don't rely on sheer strength.
They rely on bulk. They are the third largest land mammal and throw said weight round accordingly. They also have impressive teeth and a jaw which opens very wide so as to fight amongst themselves.
Reply 12
Original post by Rufus the red
No, they don't rely on sheer strength.
They rely on bulk. They are the third largest land mammal and throw said weight round accordingly. They also have impressive teeth and a jaw which opens very wide so as to fight amongst themselves.

Bulk, strength, same thing.
Their jaw would be useless if it wasnt so strong.
I call my siblings hippos
Original post by Foxehh
Bulk, strength, same thing.
Their jaw would be useless if it wasnt so strong.

I think you may have drawn an illogical conclusion for the former point.
Yes, but it's an unnecessarily large jaw for eating grass - they're just excessive.

@DiddyDec, she's being incorrect again. :lol:
why is nobody siding with The Spectacular Fox here? Sure they're aggressive and have their bad traits, but that could be said about any animal.

Now that its brought up, hippos, or a bloat of hippos rather, are animals that have appeared in books films, though they are hardly mentioned or appreciated.

Hippos are a vulnerable species - they need to be protected
also not-shamed, cos who does that about an animal

Spoiler

Reply 17
Original post by IlikeDonerKebab
I call my siblings hippos

As an insult? Dont let PETA hear you say that.
Original post by superbo9y
why is nobody siding with The Spectacular Fox here? Sure they're aggressive and have their bad traits, but that could be said about any animal.

Now that its brought up, hippos, or a bloat of hippos rather, are animals that have appeared in books films, though they are hardly mentioned or appreciated.

Hippos are a vulnerable species - they need to be protected

They're still not the greatest mammal on the planet.
Plus, I'm the better fox.
Original post by Foxehh
As an insult? Dont let PETA hear you say that.

Okie I’ll take ur advice

Quick Reply

Latest