What is the best argument against the idea that international students ‘steal British

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
What is the best argument against the idea that international students ‘steal British places’?
arab x
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They don't and international students pay a lot of money to study.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Other than for medicine and places for Scottish students at Scottish universities, UK unis no longer have student caps and the only restriction is based on their own facilities. So there are no "British places", or "places" at all, and if a university wanted to overload a course with students they could to the extent they wanted to. For medicine the number of UK and international student places are strictly capped. For Scottish unis it's only for Scottish students that there is a quota/cap normally, due to how funding for Scottish students is organised by SAAS. For RUK students they are freely taken otherwise, and likewise for Scottish students applying to unis in England/Wales/NI.

But as stated fundamentally there is no such notion of "places" in any real sense. Of course, international students pay eye-watering fees to study in the UK, and universities hence make a lot more money out of them than domestic students, as the fees are capped for them and in part subsidised by the government. So if someone is arguing universities are taking too many international students you should point out this is largely due to the government limiting spending in HE for UK students, and shifting the onus for fee payments on the students by reducing the amount they subsidised student costs and increasing the amount of fees unis could charge to students, requiring students take out larger loan amounts to cover it instead.

Since I imagine the kinds of xenophobic morons making these complaints are also the same people that vote for UKIP or the conservatives though, I doubt any such argument will make any differences since by virtue of their political allegiance they are already used to selectively believing what they want to and ignoring issues directly caused by the party/parties they support.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (156)
42.98%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (53)
14.6%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (146)
40.22%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.2%

Watched Threads