The Student Room Group

BMW For first Car?

Im looking at a 2016+ BMW 1 series for me to insure it the SE model costs £1,300 aprox and for sports its £1,600 is it worth it do you think? Thanks
Reply 1
No

I love BMWs (previous car was an X3 and next is probably a 5 series) but they’re not a good idea for a new driver especially as they’re expensive to fix.

The previous 1 series (imho) also isn’t a very good car (can’t comment on the new front wheel drive car). It’s nice to drive but it’s tiny inside and you get a load of attitude driving it. It’s also horrendous in snow and ice unless you’re very careful or run with winter tyres.

I’ve had a number as courtesy cars (my bmw broke a lot!) as well as the 2 series coupes/soft tops - there was a few times I can to catch the back end from drifting.

The 3 and 5 series are much better cars although I’m not sure they’re great for new drivers either. Even my xdrive X3 was capable of kicking the back end out fairly aggressively when provoked.

To be honest I don’t understand the attraction of the low output 1 series, the 135/140 is a different matter. They’re the perfect example of badge snobbery/all mouth no trousers to me, they don’t even have premium build quality or features unlike the higher models (no HUD for example). Do yourself a favour and get the much better golf or other alternatives in the size range.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Neuratic
Im looking at a 2016+ BMW 1 series for me to insure it the SE model costs £1,300 aprox and for sports its £1,600 is it worth it do you think? Thanks

I don't know anything about cars really but if you have the money to spend then you should get whatever car you want. Remember that cars sometimes need fixing and if you just want a reliable decent car then it's not really worth spending that much. If you want a car that looks nice, drives fast, etc then they are going to be more expensive but if you want a car like that then get it if you want it.

If you just want a car to go to work and a few bits of travel then I would say there are better, less expensive options but it's up to you.
Buy a 2006ish car, not a 2016 one.

£1000 or less is a sensible amount to spend on your first car.
Reply 4
I currently own a 2007 BMW 1 series 118d M Sport. It's my second car, I'm currently 17 and the insurance was pretty deer, as expected.
I've owned it for a month and have already had to spend £300 on replacing a drive shaft which randomly snapped a few days after getting the car. Currently got 122k miles on the clock, luckily no sign of the timing chain going but that's another hefty cost when it does.

The car itself I love driving - feels great. Smooth, good acceleration & pretty comfy. I've noticed that I get a lot more attention & people wanting to race compared to when I was in my 1.1L Citroen; usually the average boy racer driving a corsa that wants to have a go. The fact I'm 17 and look 14 probably plays a part, but it does change how some act on the road.

Overall, I don't regret getting the car. I enjoy driving it, it feels nice to get in a car I actually WANT to drive instead of what I feel is affordable to drive. Would certainly recommend getting one if you feel like you'd enjoy it.

If you've got that money spare, then sure go ahead with a newer model - but I'd personally go with an older model for your first car. Not necessarily as low as 2007, but in between the two - those older yet modern models still have the likes of an iDrive system, cruise control, etc. and look just as nice!
Reply 5
Original post by tylinf
. Currently got 122k miles on the clock, luckily no sign of the timing chain going but that's another hefty cost when it does.

You definitely want to get the timing chain changed before it goes or even shows any sign of going.

Because if a timing chain does break, the valves hit the piston and that often means the engine is completely wrecked and needs replacement. If you are lucky the top end can be rebuilt but that won't leave you any change from £2000.
Reply 6
Original post by trident3
You definitely want to get the timing chain changed before it goes or even shows any sign of going.

Because if a timing chain does break, the valves hit the piston and that often means the engine is completely wrecked and needs replacement. If you are lucky the top end can be rebuilt but that won't leave you any change from £2000.

Yeah - I've spoken to someone who's worked with BMW's for over a decade and have been assured there's no concern with the timing chain at the minute. The previous owner has no record of any changes but reckons it was changed before he owned it, a very well looked after car for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending