The Student Room Group

Need help with usa colleges

Hi! I am really hoping my post won't be taken in a negative way, even though I do feel a little silly writing this.
I will be starting the IBDP next year, and I wanted to choose my subjects according to the requirements of my future colleges.
The thing is, that with uk colleges its pretty simple. you go to the college website, find a course and here you have the IB requirements for it (such as final score, what hls you need to have and so on)
But I am dreaming of studying in the US and I can not seem to find anything relating the IB requirements in any of the US college's websites.
So I would really use your help!
Thank you!
I just pinged the NYU site and there seem to be oodles of information on whether IB qualifications will be accepted for course XX or AA.
Original post by Grondskyte
Hi! I am really hoping my post won't be taken in a negative way, even though I do feel a little silly writing this.
I will be starting the IBDP next year, and I wanted to choose my subjects according to the requirements of my future colleges.
The thing is, that with uk colleges its pretty simple. you go to the college website, find a course and here you have the IB requirements for it (such as final score, what hls you need to have and so on)
But I am dreaming of studying in the US and I can not seem to find anything relating the IB requirements in any of the US college's websites.
So I would really use your help!
Thank you!

US universities don't require you to take any specific subjects (with the exception of a few more focussed ones (e.g. Caltech) who may want you to complete a certain combination of subjects for a set amount of time as they believe this will prepare you better for their university).

They also won't require any specific scores in that they won't have cutoffs, so they will never say "We want at least a 6" (or whatever, idk how IB grading is). However, top US unis will still want high scores.

Simply put, no specific subjects required unless you're going to a uni that really only does one area (e.g. STEM). If that's the case, look on their website for what you may need to take in order to complete these requirements.
Reply 3
Original post by ry7xsfa
US universities don't require you to take any specific subjects (with the exception of a few more focussed ones (e.g. Caltech) who may want you to complete a certain combination of subjects for a set amount of time as they believe this will prepare you better for their university).

They also won't require any specific scores in that they won't have cutoffs, so they will never say "We want at least a 6" (or whatever, idk how IB grading is). However, top US unis will still want high scores.

Simply put, no specific subjects required unless you're going to a uni that really only does one area (e.g. STEM). If that's the case, look on their website for what you may need to take in order to complete these requirements.

Yes exactly, but also note that taking some IB subjects at HL may count towards college credit @ US unis (i.e. you can skip a course or two)
Original post by heyprax
Yes exactly, but also note that taking some IB subjects at HL may count towards college credit @ US unis (i.e. you can skip a course or two)

This is very true. At a lot of US universities, you can use AP, IB, or A-Level results to transfer to credit, allowing you to skip some classes. Not all universities allow this though, so I wouldn’t personally pick subjects for the sole reason of transferring them to credit at college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending