The Student Room Group

Career in Investment Banking?

Hi all,

Can I please have some advice from people who work in Investment Banking?

- Is it enjoyable?
- What is the social life like?
- What are the hours like?
- Is it possible for me to get into Investment Banking without going to Uni?

Many thanks for any advice that is received, I am trying to figure out if a career in Investment Banking is for me?

I am a very social person, chatty and upbeat. I love to travel and meet new people. I am good working in a team. I am not afraid of working hard, and will do whatever it takes if there is a clear goal ahead of me, although having a decent work life balance is very important to me.

Also would appreciate if anyone could recommend any other career paths that might suit me?

I am currently in my first year of college.

Harrison :wink:
Most of these questions are easily answerable by Googling (and not many bankers actually frequent these forums try r/financialcareers or WSO for that). However, I'll provide a few resources below on the topic that I found interesting (apart from the ones that turn up on a google search like M&I).

The answer to your first question is completely subjective. The answer to your last question is almost definitely no. There are degree apprenticeships I believe (which JPM and a few other banks offer) but obviously they also entail getting a degree and are *very* competitive. If you want a decent work-life balance (depending on what you define as "decent") then ibanking is definitely not for you unless you're willing to suck it up for 1-2 years (refer to the below links for details). There are other finance paths that have more acceptable WLBs.

https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/worklife-balance-equity-research-vs-investment-banking-a-definitive-guide-part-1
https://www.reddit.com/r/FinancialCareers/comments/m0guw9/day_in_the_life_of_an_investment_banker_a_good/

BONUS in case you've been following the news.
https://www.reddit.com/r/FinancialCareers/comments/mkqyiw/exbankers_thoughts_on_the_leaked_goldman_sachs/
Original post by anonuser99
Most of these questions are easily answerable by Googling (and not many bankers actually frequent these forums try r/financialcareers or WSO for that). However, I'll provide a few resources below on the topic that I found interesting (apart from the ones that turn up on a google search like M&I).

The answer to your first question is completely subjective. The answer to your last question is almost definitely no. There are degree apprenticeships I believe (which JPM and a few other banks offer) but obviously they also entail getting a degree and are *very* competitive. If you want a decent work-life balance (depending on what you define as "decent") then ibanking is definitely not for you unless you're willing to suck it up for 1-2 years (refer to the below links for details). There are other finance paths that have more acceptable WLBs.

https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/worklife-balance-equity-research-vs-investment-banking-a-definitive-guide-part-1
https://www.reddit.com/r/FinancialCareers/comments/m0guw9/day_in_the_life_of_an_investment_banker_a_good/

BONUS in case you've been following the news.
https://www.reddit.com/r/FinancialCareers/comments/mkqyiw/exbankers_thoughts_on_the_leaked_goldman_sachs/

Hi @anonuser99 [br] [br] Thank you for the advice and the resources will definitely have a read!
Original post by harrisonwood
Hi all,

Can I please have some advice from people who work in Investment Banking?

- Is it enjoyable?
- What is the social life like?
- What are the hours like?
- Is it possible for me to get into Investment Banking without going to Uni?

Many thanks for any advice that is received, I am trying to figure out if a career in Investment Banking is for me?

I am a very social person, chatty and upbeat. I love to travel and meet new people. I am good working in a team. I am not afraid of working hard, and will do whatever it takes if there is a clear goal ahead of me, although having a decent work life balance is very important to me.

Also would appreciate if anyone could recommend any other career paths that might suit me?

I am currently in my first year of college.

Harrison :wink:

Hi Harrison,

I'm an ex-investment banker (worked at J.P. Morgan) so can provide some insight from my first-hand experience!

The hours are quite long initially but improve as you progress (also depends on your team). Expect 80-90 hours plus per week as an Analyst, a little less as an Associate, and more balance from VP onwards. Long hours aside, you certainly learn a lot in a short space of time & get to work on significant projects with great client / senior-level exposure. One option is to do it for say 2 years, gain the experience, and then exit.

Good luck. JT.
Original post by jt23banking
Hi Harrison,

I'm an ex-investment banker (worked at J.P. Morgan) so can provide some insight from my first-hand experience!

The hours are quite long initially but improve as you progress (also depends on your team). Expect 80-90 hours plus per week as an Analyst, a little less as an Associate, and more balance from VP onwards. Long hours aside, you certainly learn a lot in a short space of time & get to work on significant projects with great client / senior-level exposure. One option is to do it for say 2 years, gain the experience, and then exit.

Good luck. JT.

Thanks JT!

Can I just ask why are the hours so long in IB? And what does a typical normal day consist of?
IB is my preferred career choice, but the long hours just really put me off! I don’t mind working hard but a good work life balance is really important to me. Thank you
Original post by harrisonwood
Thanks JT!

Can I just ask why are the hours so long in IB? And what does a typical normal day consist of?
IB is my preferred career choice, but the long hours just really put me off! I don’t mind working hard but a good work life balance is really important to me. Thank you

producing materials for meetings.. your managing director will try and get every marketing meeting under the sun

if its important to you, IB might not be a good idea

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending