Access course + maths GCSE simultaneously at 20?

Watch
breakupwithurgf
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I’m starting an access course whilst simultaneously undertaking a maths GCSE after not having been in education since the 2017/2018 academic year. I’m hoping to go to uni in 2022 (I’ll be 21 when I start)

However, maths has never been a strong suit of mine, I failed maths gcse twice (granted, I never dedicated the necessary effort both times, in fear that I would fail regardless).

Do any posters here at TSR think I could pass maths GCSE in just one academic year? Again I’m really hoping to get into university and I’ll need a maths gcse for that, I really don’t want to fail 😢
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by breakupwithurgf)
I’m starting an access course whilst simultaneously undertaking a maths GCSE after not having been in education since the 2017/2018 academic year. I’m hoping to go to uni in 2022 (I’ll be 21 when I start)

However, maths has never been a strong suit of mine, I failed maths gcse twice (granted, I never dedicated the necessary effort both times, in fear that I would fail regardless).

Do any posters here at TSR think I could pass maths GCSE in just one academic year? Again I’m really hoping to get into university and I’ll need a maths gcse for that, I really don’t want to fail 😢
I've done an Access course, but I never had a problem with GCSE maths.
Whilst you can do either qualifications within 1 year, I haven't seen it done at the same time.

Getting a 4-8 in GCSE should not be challenging, but I don't know what your mathematical ability is like. I also don't know how much you already know.

My recommendation is if you can put in at least 45 hours in both qualifications a week, you should be able to get both done within the year. Ideally, 60 hours if you're struggling a bit. However, that's quite a bit of dedication and a fair bit of work.

There are plenty of resources online that could help with tutorials and revision. I'd recommend working on the weakest areas of maths, whilst doing as many practice papers as you can. Some concepts may require you to get your head around it in a certain way, so beware of this. If you do have problems, it's important to get help were possible, although it's ideal if you try to figure it out first because putting in effort and thinking about the problem can promote learning and memorisation.
Fuzzi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi

I'm doing an Access course in September with the goal of going to uni in 2022 too, and I'll be doing GCSE English along side it as well.

I spoke to college admissions a few days ago when signing up to the course and they said a number of students are taking GCSE Maths along side it too, and it has been common for at least a handful of people to do so every year. They even said that some students who have been out of education for a decade or more retake a GCSE along side the course, so it is 100% possible for you to do it at 20 when people do it when they're 40 If your motivation to start uni is strong, hopefully that will push you through to do well. I'm hoping that will work for me too lol

Are you starting your course in September? That gives you a good few months to get a head start on the Maths. YouTube videos, BBC Bitesize, Key Stage 3 textbooks from Amazon for £4... loads to do to give you a head start I'm also using those things to brush up on my GCSE Maths in time for the Access course, as I'm doing Science so involves some Maths so need all the prep work I can get haha

What Access course are you doing?
lyonbabe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by breakupwithurgf)

This has literally been me tha past academic year. I left from one of the worst public schools in England in 2012 pretty much with no gcses except English, and no idea how to organise my studies or how even to study. But I started the access course last year after that long break from schooling, and not having the skills to study and I have achieved all distinctions in every assignment, and am on track for at least a grade 4 in GCSE maths. I was never good in maths, I got like an E back in 2012 in my gcse maths and haven't looked at it since. But the point here is that you need to be extremely dedicated and motivated, you must study maths every day and not miss any lessons, if you do you'll miss a lot and find it hard to catch up. Make at least 1 hour for maths each day, this is definitely possible, I'm living proof that you can come fro having no educ to achieving this. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (68)
41.98%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (29)
17.9%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (62)
38.27%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (3)
1.85%

Watched Threads