Aty100
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
What are some good questions to ask the interviewer at the end of the PGCE interview?
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Aty100)
What are some good questions to ask the interviewer at the end of the PGCE interview?
Depends on what you need to know. Here are a few that could be useful to ask:
- what proportion of trainees complete the course?
- what does the year look like (what proportion is placements vs uni days)?
- what support is in place for trainees who are struggling?
- how are placements decided? What sort of distance might you be expected to commute?
- do trainees tend to be placed in a school with at least one other trainee, or are they usually placed alone?
- are there opportunities for teaching A-level (if secondary)?
- is there any support for when trainees are doing job applications / interviews?
- what have they done this year to prevent trainees missing out due to covid?
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello @Aty100

I think bluebeetle has nailed it, but if you've not already asked the provider whilst you were shortlisting those you wanted to apply for, you should also ask the following -

- Does the course offer a PGCE in addition to QTS? If so, what are the assignments and deadlines for them?
- When does the course start and finish?
- Who would be my mentor during my course? How often will they be available to me? How experienced are they?
- How long am I on each teaching practice and where are they likely to be?
- What opportunities will there to be to work with children with Special Educational Needs or Disability, English as an Additional Language or those who are Gifted and Talented?
- What opportunities will there be to participate in extra-curricular activities?
- Will you be required to attend a University setting, if so, how often and when?
- How many other students will be on the course?
- What will the expectations for meetings/INSET be while on placements?

Wishing you all the very best of luck in your interviews! If you need any support in preparing for them, please call us on Freephone 0800 389 2500 between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Jane
Aty100
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by bluebeetle)
Depends on what you need to know. Here are a few that could be useful to ask:
- what proportion of trainees complete the course?
- what does the year look like (what proportion is placements vs uni days)?
- what support is in place for trainees who are struggling?
- how are placements decided? What sort of distance might you be expected to commute?
- do trainees tend to be placed in a school with at least one other trainee, or are they usually placed alone?
- are there opportunities for teaching A-level (if secondary)?
- is there any support for when trainees are doing job applications / interviews?
- what have they done this year to prevent trainees missing out due to covid?
Thank you so much! Those are some great questions! Any recommendations of how many we should ask?
Aty100
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Get into Teaching)
Hello @Aty100

I think bluebeetle has nailed it, but if you've not already asked the provider whilst you were shortlisting those you wanted to apply for, you should also ask the following -

- Does the course offer a PGCE in addition to QTS? If so, what are the assignments and deadlines for them?
- When does the course start and finish?
- Who would be my mentor during my course? How often will they be available to me? How experienced are they?
- How long am I on each teaching practice and where are they likely to be?
- What opportunities will there to be to work with children with Special Educational Needs or Disability, English as an Additional Language or those who are Gifted and Talented?
- What opportunities will there be to participate in extra-curricular activities?
- Will you be required to attend a University setting, if so, how often and when?
- How many other students will be on the course?
- What will the expectations for meetings/INSET be while on placements?

Wishing you all the very best of luck in your interviews! If you need any support in preparing for them, please call us on Freephone 0800 389 2500 between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Jane
That’s great thank you! Can I call just for some interview advice?
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
That’s great thank you! Can I call just for some interview advice?
Hello Aty100

Yes, absolutely you can. If you've already registered with Get into Teaching, you can DM your email address to me and I'll have an adviser call you to help prepare you for interview if you'd like.

Jane
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thank you so much! Those are some great questions! Any recommendations of how many we should ask?
I would say to try to find out as much as you can in advance on the providers website, so you're not asking a million questions that you could find the answer to online. My experience of my interviews was that the interviewer did explain a fair bit during the whole process, so by the time we came to the "Do you have any questions for me?" bit at the end, I actually had already had the majority of questions answered and only needed to ask 2 - 3 more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (172)
41.85%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (61)
14.84%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (170)
41.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed