I-cba
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m going on to do a level next year but I just feel that it will be hard for me to compete with the smart people. Like the will be people that get grade 9 in gcse that I have to compete with. Did anyone else feel this way in yr11 when thinking about yr 12. Can you also tell me if it is scary study bio chem and maths at a level and how much revision i should do daily to get myself into a good uni. I just feel nervous and stupid. People have told all A level is is just a grind is this true. It’s not who is smart but who puts in the effort?
Last edited by I-cba; 1 week ago
Anonymously.y
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey I study chem, bio and maths at A-Level and I’m in year 13, you don’t need to worry about the smart people as long as you keep up to date with your notes and what you’re learning you should be okay. When you’re learning stuff one thing I would suggest that I didn’t do it don’t be shy to ask questions and sit with someone who’s clever and ask them questions or your teachers during class and make sure you understand what you’re learning as you are. In the summer holidays find some bridging work since I didn’t know about that but it helped the people in my class to fill in any gaps and maybe read ahead for a chapter of the subjects since that helped some of the guys who always read ahead and were a few chapters ahead of whatever we covered in class. If you have any questions you can ask me!
NardDog
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymously.y)
Hey I study chem, bio and maths at A-Level and I’m in year 13, you don’t need to worry about the smart people as long as you keep up to date with your notes and what you’re learning you should be okay. When you’re learning stuff one thing I would suggest that I didn’t do it don’t be shy to ask questions and sit with someone who’s clever and ask them questions or your teachers during class and make sure you understand what you’re learning as you are. In the summer holidays find some bridging work since I didn’t know about that but it helped the people in my class to fill in any gaps and maybe read ahead for a chapter of the subjects since that helped some of the guys who always read ahead and were a few chapters ahead of whatever we covered in class. If you have any questions you can ask me!
Hi, What is your typical day like - in regards to revision and school work. Thanks
Anonymously.y
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Rn I don’t revise much cuz of a few reasons and covid (have depression) but I would suggest to revise everyday and keep up to date. Before I would revise for about 2-3 hours a day, some people in my class revise for more and some revise for half an hour everyday or just 6 hours on the weekend. How did you revise for your gcses?
I-cba
Rep:
?
What’s bridging work? Also do you think that a level all you need is hard work and be average to get A and A*. I ain’t smart I’m kinda average so I’m kinda nervous that if I’m in a smart class the teacher will go quite fast and I’ll be left behind.
ohnojay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To be honest, you don't really see what progress any one else has made in my experience. A-levels is harder than GCSEs but as long as you keep up with the content and don't let any work pile up you should be find. Just make sure you understand the work as you do it and ask questions even if you think you'll sound silly, it'll help in the long term.

I found that I spent a lot more time on school work compared to at GCSE. I don't have too much time to do revision as my school gives constant homework but there are parts in the homework that act as revision. I do some of the work everyday, if it's the homework set, independent studies or making my revision.

Bio, chem and maths seem like a good mix as it's not too essay heavy and has a balance.
Anonymously.y
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by I-cba)
What’s bridging work? Also do you think that a level all you need is hard work and be average to get A and A*. I ain’t smart I’m kinda average so I’m kinda nervous that if I’m in a smart class the teacher will go quite fast and I’ll be left behind.
Oh it’s to fill in your GCSE gaps so you have a good base when starting with your A-Levels, you can kinda do it during the summer holidays
I-cba
Rep:
?
(Original post by ohnojay)
To be honest, you don't really see what progress any one else has made in my experience. A-levels is harder than GCSEs but as long as you keep up with the content and don't let any work pile up you should be find. Just make sure you understand the work as you do it and ask questions even if you think you'll sound silly, it'll help in the long term.

I found that I spent a lot more time on school work compared to at GCSE. I don't have too much time to do revision as my school gives constant homework but there are parts in the homework that act as revision. I do some of the work everyday, if it's the homework set, independent studies or making my revision.

Bio, chem and maths seem like a good mix as it's not too essay heavy and has a balance.
Thanks. My friend said I’m going to give myself a hard time but he said if I can make it out with good grade I’ll be in a amazing place. Hope this is true.
I-cba
Rep:
?
Oh it’s to fill in your GCSE gaps so you have a good base when starting with your A-Levels, you can kinda do it during the summer holidays
I might as well learn some of the revison guide instead? Or am I wrong?
I-cba
Rep:
?
Rn I don’t revise much cuz of a few reasons and covid (have depression) but I would suggest to revise everyday and keep up to date. Before I would revise for about 2-3 hours a day, some people in my class revise for more and some revise for half an hour everyday or just 6 hours on the weekend. How did you revise for your gcses?
I haven’t had any experience with people with depression irl so take my advice lightly. If I hurt you I’m sorry that ain’t my intention but I just wanna give you some advice. I was watching a video about depression and the person said one thing that helped was listening to Quran. I dunno if you have tried but I’d just give it a go. (I’m sorry if I offended you)
NardDog
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I revise 2 hours a day ish if I have an upcoming exam. in this easter break i've been doing 4 hours a day. I can also easily pull out 6 hour sessions on weekends if necessary. But on a usual day when it's not exam season I just do my home work and that's it. I know I have to work much harder in A-Levels but I think cause I can revise for this amount pretty easily it's a good base but idk really??
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Like GCSEs, A levels are designed for people of average intelligence.

Yes, people get different grades, that's part of life, but they are a general school leaver qualification, not there just to reward the mega-bright.

Yes, it depends on how much effort you put in - the people who are working regularly in the Quiet Study Room, Library or wherever, WILL get better results than those who don't. Its up to you.
I-cba
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Like GCSEs, A levels are designed for people of average intelligence.

Yes, people get different grades, that's part of life, but they are a general school leaver qualification, not there just to reward the mega-bright.

Yes, it depends on how much effort you put in - the people who are working regularly in the Quiet Study Room, Library or wherever, WILL get better results than those who don't. Its up to you.
Where would we be without wise people like you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (172)
41.85%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (61)
14.84%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (170)
41.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.95%

Watched Threads