What are the inorganic ions present in nucleic acids and proteins ??

Watch this thread
masterstudier33
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Im stuck with this, I thought it was just phosphorus?
ZakGoulders
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by masterstudier33)
Im stuck with this, I thought it was just phosphorus?
Nucleic acids will have a nitrogen containing base, so will need a source of nitrate ions to form these, for example. It isn't really a mineral ion though in this case
masterstudier33
Rep:
(Original post by ZakGoulders)
Nucleic acids will have a nitrogen containing base, so will need a source of nitrate ions to form these, for example. It isn't really a mineral ion though in this case
okay thank you- so for nucleic acids the inorganic ion is nitrate is that correct? or is it nitrogen ions ?

and secondly, what would the inorganic ion for proteins be ?
masterstudier33
Rep:
Bump
ZakGoulders
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by masterstudier33)
okay thank you- so for nucleic acids the inorganic ion is nitrate is that correct? or is it nitrogen ions ?

and secondly, what would the inorganic ion for proteins be ?
Sorry, I hadn't seen the notification for this. It is isn't an ion necessarily. I'm not sure if you do Chemistry A Level but that helps explain it. Nitrate ions are used as they're more easily absorbed by the body, and the nitrogen atom is then incorporated into the nucleic acids.

In terms of proteins, if we look at the structure of an amino acid (the monomer), it has an "amine" group". This is a NH2 group. Once again, this isn't an ion, but simply a nitrogen atom which we have obtained from the nitrate ion (NO3-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads