Unsuccessful uni interview

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
The universities that I applied for keep declining me a place and it says because of my interview. I have very bad social anxiety so struggle in these situations at interviews. Is there anything I can do to make it better? I have applied for nursing so I need to go to uni
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The universities that I applied for keep declining me a place and it says because of my interview. I have very bad social anxiety so struggle in these situations at interviews. Is there anything I can do to make it better? I have applied for nursing so I need to go to uni
Did you make the unis aware of your condition? It may not make a massive difference, but I found that knowing my uni interviewers knew I was autistic made me much more at ease, as I felt less pressure to try and completely hide it.

Other than that, it's probably just a case of being so sure on your knowledge and experiences that you can share them even with your anxiety. Maybe try immersing yourself in 1 to 1 or small group situations where you do have the upper hand - I found tutoring younger students really helped me be more comfortable in social situations, since I could get used to having the attention on me in a space where lack of knowledge was never going to be an issue.

Best of luck to you, it's a tough hurdle to pass but I'm sure you'll make it eventually
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
See if you can get some interview coaching. An experienced and supportive person can really help as of course does a bit of practice. See if your school can help or the National Careers Service.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
You need to sort out your anxiety through whatever means suits you best - medication, counselling, hypnosis, mindfulness, meditation, whatever.

Once that's under control, you will be able to relax and shine at your interviews.

Alternative routes into Nursing includes apprenticeships.

Also, working as a Healthcare Support Worker in the NHS can lead to studying for a Nursing degree on the Open University sponsored by the employer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.88%
Uncertainty around my education (446)
14.79%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.21%
Lack of purpose or motivation (420)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.64%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (182)
6.04%
Loneliness (259)
8.59%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (137)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (164)
5.44%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.82%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.42%

Watched Threads