Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Life is boring and I am never happy. I have tried so hard to focus and get motivated to stay happy but nothing works. Everyday, my mind gets worse. This sounds so dramatic and every time I try and speak up about it, I sound stupid, as if I am making this up. I am afraid of getting help, as I know my parents will be mad and won't believe me. I struggle with so many things but I really don't know how serious they are. Am I just making all of this up? Please give advice. It's hard to explain.
Last edited by DrawTheLine; 2 weeks ago
kaiana
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Life is boring and I am never happy. I have tried so hard to focus and get motivated to stay happy but nothing works. Everyday, my mind gets worse. This sounds so dramatic and every time I try and speak up about it, I sound stupid, as if I am making this up. I am afraid of getting help, as I know my parents will be mad and won't believe me. I struggle with so many things but I really don't know how serious they are. Am I just making all of this up? Please give advice. It's hard to explain.
Hello there. You are not making this up. It does not sound dramatic. Getting help is difficult, if you don't think you can/want to go see a therapist (online or irl) or talk to close friends who will take you seriously, there are still other options in order to get better (but it may be slower to get there). Or even on the internet, some youtube videos are helpful, not only do they give some advice but if you read the comments you will most likely realise that lots of people feel a similar way and it's totally normal, you're not exaggerating anything.
First of all, goals! Do you have any specific goals in life (big or small, like "I want to travel to this place" or "I want to finish this project")? Make a list of them!
Then, make a list of what stresses you out. It can be stupid things or more important stuff, just write down everything you have on your mind, from "I have to write an email to them" to "I have to finish my studies" for example. Write the time you need to spend on each issue to get it fixed. Then, when you feel like it, multiply the time you wrote by 3, set a timer, and think "in x hours I will have finished this". You said " I have tried so hard to focus and get motivated", do you have ADHD-like symptoms or did I interpret things the wrong way? If you do, then I would suggest not taking breaks while doing one of the tasks on this list (if the time spent concentrating stays reasonable, of course). If there's a task that you can't do immediatly or prepare for, then try to push it out of your mind, it's useless to stress about it now!
Finally, do you have dreams? Even if they seem super unrealistic, do a mental list of them and try to do little steps that push you towards these dreams! (even if these are dreams that you are ashamed of because they seem really unrealistic and you may think "why would I be able to do that", well, you never know!)
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by kaiana)
Hello there. You are not making this up. It does not sound dramatic. Getting help is difficult, if you don't think you can/want to go see a therapist (online or irl) or talk to close friends who will take you seriously, there are still other options in order to get better (but it may be slower to get there). Or even on the internet, some youtube videos are helpful, not only do they give some advice but if you read the comments you will most likely realise that lots of people feel a similar way and it's totally normal, you're not exaggerating anything.
First of all, goals! Do you have any specific goals in life (big or small, like "I want to travel to this place" or "I want to finish this project")? Make a list of them!
Then, make a list of what stresses you out. It can be stupid things or more important stuff, just write down everything you have on your mind, from "I have to write an email to them" to "I have to finish my studies" for example. Write the time you need to spend on each issue to get it fixed. Then, when you feel like it, multiply the time you wrote by 3, set a timer, and think "in x hours I will have finished this". You said " I have tried so hard to focus and get motivated", do you have ADHD-like symptoms or did I interpret things the wrong way? If you do, then I would suggest not taking breaks while doing one of the tasks on this list (if the time spent concentrating stays reasonable, of course). If there's a task that you can't do immediatly or prepare for, then try to push it out of your mind, it's useless to stress about it now!
Finally, do you have dreams? Even if they seem super unrealistic, do a mental list of them and try to do little steps that push you towards these dreams! (even if these are dreams that you are ashamed of because they seem really unrealistic and you may think "why would I be able to do that", well, you never know!)
I will try the lists. Thank you so much for this. You are truly kind. You don't know how much I appreciate this all. Tysm for your time!
kaiana
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I will try the lists. Thank you so much for this. You are truly kind. You don't know how much I appreciate this all. Tysm for your time!
No worries at all, and good luck with this!
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (184)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (539)
14.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (408)
11.1%
Lack of purpose or motivation (507)
13.8%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (182)
4.95%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (221)
6.01%
Loneliness (310)
8.44%
Financial worries (135)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.95%
Exposure to negative news/social media (166)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (209)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (327)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (342)
9.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed