swrxy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey so I was just wondering if any "high achieving" year 11s or anyone that has done GCSEs has any advice/tips/websites I can use for these subjects:

-Triple sciences AQA
-WJEC geography -particulary c3
- Edexcel psychology
- AQA french
- AQA English language ( paper 1 section A+B )
- AQA UNSEEN POETRY lol
-Edexcel maths

I appreciate nobody probably wants to give any advice, but If u don't ask u don't receive right?
zainabxxx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For Edexcel Maths, I would highly recommend using dr Frost, it has really hard questions which are good if you’re aiming for a grade 8/9! Also, the gcse maths tutor on YouTube does excellent videos and has a series ‘the 5 hardest questions on blah blah etc’ deffo check him out
swrxy
Rep:
?
(Original post by zainabxxx)
For Edexcel Maths, I would highly recommend using dr Frost, it has really hard questions which are good if you’re aiming for a grade 8/9! Also, the gcse maths tutor on YouTube does excellent videos and has a series ‘the 5 hardest questions on blah blah etc’ deffo check him out
Seriously thank you so so much, that means a lot that you took the time to help out!
gregdixon2021
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Currently taking Chem and Bio at A-Level so I can only really speak for that confidently on revision

- Primrose Kitten is very good for GCSE sciences and condenses the whole of the course into like a 2 hour video for each paper
- Flash cards are pretty important at GCSE, since there isn't a whole lot to remember so these will help condense your notes down
- Mindmaps can help some people, I never really liked it though
- Quizlet is pretty useful also

Last but certainly not least (legit the best method to acing Biology) is blurting!!
- Basically if you aren't sure what it is, you take a topic you've previously learnt and write down absolutely everything you possibly can remember on a piece of paper (like everything). Then, once you believe you have wrote everything you check it over with a textbook and ensure its correct. Add in the information you didn't remember and go over this part of the content again. This method legit has saved me through my A-Levels so far, I legit stick to it like religion 😂

If I'm being honest I was a high achiever in English also but that's because my teacher was legit a god saver, she was mint and got me a high grade without revising (since lets be honest its p hard to revise for eng lang)
Last edited by gregdixon2021; 1 week ago
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by swrxy)
Hey so I was just wondering if any "high achieving" year 11s or anyone that has done GCSEs has any advice/tips/websites I can use for these subjects:

-Triple sciences AQA
-WJEC geography -particulary c3
- Edexcel psychology
- AQA french
- AQA English language ( paper 1 section A+B )
- AQA UNSEEN POETRY lol
-Edexcel maths

I appreciate nobody probably wants to give any advice, but If u don't ask u don't receive right?
For Triple Science: Science with Hazel, freesciencelessons and the CGP 8-9 targeted questions
- learn the content using class notes, the textbook and aforementioned youtube channels
- practice: firstly topic based, using CGP exam practice questions (if you have the book) and Physics and Maths Tutor Questions
- exam practice: go over past papers, mark the papers yourself! start off with it without timed conditions and then move into timed papers

I'm assuming you are in year 10, so you have time to do this for all three sciences alongside balancing other subjects.
If you are in year 11, I'd say learn the content using the all of AQA bio in 2 hours videos by PrimroseKitten or ScienceWithHazel... pick your fancy and then go straight into past papers as that is how you can truly get into the mind of an examiner.

For English: I didn't do AQA but use Mr Salles if you are aiming for 8-9s. He was a lifesaver and is tailored for AQA so even better for you . He's got a few videos on unseen poetry and lots of good techniques there's an acronym he used.... can't remember it right now but it was great in covering all the different points you need to hit top marks.

If you are happy with 5-7s Mr Bruff is sufficient imo. There is also another youtuber who I can't remember the name of but he does some pretty good Essay plans, that if you work around should have you at about a grade 7 at least from my experience

French:
Honestly, thinking back I didn't use that many online resources for French. My main tip is learn some fancy phrases and use them as much as you can. If you delve through TSR you'll find some good ones. Unfortunately, I can't remember any right now but I'll edit it if I do. Aim to find ones that can be used in many situations. Learn the subjunctive if you can too.

For reading, just practice and go through the textbook and/or CGP revision guide.

For vocab, if you go on quizlet you'll find many people who have made decks on the entire french vocab list that you can find in the spec. Learn as much as you can slowly and steadily, it'll be quite helpful for all the sections.

sorry if this is a bit rambly but hope its somewhat useful

CONCLUSION:
spend a bit of time on Youtube and you will find a teacher who has made amazing resources for just about every subject. Also check out some of the how I revised xyz and got 9s as they may have other resources that I haven't mentioned

source: year 12 student, got all 9s in gcses albeit CAGs.
swrxy
Rep:
?
(Original post by _Mia101)
For Triple Science: Science with Hazel, freesciencelessons and the CGP 8-9 targeted questions
- learn the content using class notes, the textbook and aforementioned youtube channels
- practice: firstly topic based, using CGP exam practice questions (if you have the book) and Physics and Maths Tutor Questions
- exam practice: go over past papers, mark the papers yourself! start off with it without timed conditions and then move into timed papers

I'm assuming you are in year 10, so you have time to do this for all three sciences alongside balancing other subjects.
If you are in year 11, I'd say learn the content using the all of AQA bio in 2 hours videos by PrimroseKitten or ScienceWithHazel... pick your fancy and then go straight into past papers as that is how you can truly get into the mind of an examiner.

For English: I didn't do AQA but use Mr Salles if you are aiming for 8-9s. He was a lifesaver and is tailored for AQA so even better for you . He's got a few videos on unseen poetry and lots of good techniques there's an acronym he used.... can't remember it right now but it was great in covering all the different points you need to hit top marks.

If you are happy with 5-7s Mr Bruff is sufficient imo. There is also another youtuber who I can't remember the name of but he does some pretty good Essay plans, that if you work around should have you at about a grade 7 at least from my experience

French:
Honestly, thinking back I didn't use that many online resources for French. My main tip is learn some fancy phrases and use them as much as you can. If you delve through TSR you'll find some good ones. Unfortunately, I can't remember any right now but I'll edit it if I do. Aim to find ones that can be used in many situations. Learn the subjunctive if you can too.

For reading, just practice and go through the textbook and/or CGP revision guide.

For vocab, if you go on quizlet you'll find many people who have made decks on the entire french vocab list that you can find in the spec. Learn as much as you can slowly and steadily, it'll be quite helpful for all the sections.

sorry if this is a bit rambly but hope its somewhat useful

CONCLUSION:
spend a bit of time on Youtube and you will find a teacher who has made amazing resources for just about every subject. Also check out some of the how I revised xyz and got 9s as they may have other resources that I haven't mentioned

source: year 12 student, got all 9s in gcses albeit CAGs.
THANK YOU THANK YOU !! Oh my this is so helpful, it literally means the world that you helped out 🤍
swrxy
Rep:
?
(Original post by gregdixon2021)
Currently taking Chem and Bio at A-Level so I can only really speak for that confidently on revision

- Primrose Kitten is very good for GCSE sciences and condenses the whole of the course into like a 2 hour video for each paper
- Flash cards are pretty important at GCSE, since there isn't a whole lot to remember so these will help condense your notes down
- Mindmaps can help some people, I never really liked it though
- Quizlet is pretty useful also

Last but certainly not least (legit the best method to acing Biology) is blurting!!
- Basically if you aren't sure what it is, you take a topic you've previously learnt and write down absolutely everything you possibly can remember on a piece of paper (like everything). Then, once you believe you have wrote everything you check it over with a textbook and ensure its correct. Add in the information you didn't remember and go over this part of the content again. This method legit has saved me through my A-Levels so far, I legit stick to it like religion 😂

If I'm being honest I was a high achiever in English also but that's because my teacher was legit a god saver, she was mint and got me a high grade without revising (since lets be honest its p hard to revise for eng lang)
Thank you so so much!!! It means a lot that you offered some tips!
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by swrxy)
THANK YOU THANK YOU !! Oh my this is so helpful, it literally means the world that you helped out 🤍
no problem :heart: if you need any more help lmk
alwaysneedadvice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For maths, single sciences, literature and language I made a post a while ago on how to revise for them here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...ht=GCSE%20Tips
swrxy
Rep:
?
(Original post by alwaysneedadvice)
For maths, single sciences, literature and language I made a post a while ago on how to revise for them here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...ht=GCSE%20Tips
Thank you so much !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (102)
5.18%
Uncertainty around my education (295)
14.98%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (208)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (276)
14.02%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (86)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (112)
5.69%
Loneliness (172)
8.74%
Financial worries (70)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.37%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.67%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (175)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (187)
9.5%

Watched Threads