Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I honestly don't know what is wrong with me. I have around 47 days until my final summer exams that counts 80% towards my grade (I am currently a 1st year uni student) and I have applied to transfer to KCL where the requirement for me is to get an average of 60% in first year. Going to KCL has always been a dream of mine and now I even got an offer, but I still can't get myself to study. I don't even understand anything in chemistry (which is my degree) and all I have done so far is watch the lectures and made notes on what the lecturers say, but I never put in the effort to understand the material. I procrastinate all the time and now I'm panicking because I don't even know if I will even get a 2:1 anymore with the remaining days I have. I feel like I should just get to grips with it, it's so pathetic but I honestly don't know why I'm like this, I literally never have motivation.
Galdiowolf
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hey im doing chemistry (2nd year) as well, you just need to think about finishing well and for that you need to study, maybe do a study timetable? Then maybe reward yourself after completing each task/goal.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Galdiowolf)
Hey im doing chemistry (2nd year) as well, you just need to think about finishing well and for that you need to study, maybe do a study timetable? Then maybe reward yourself after completing each task/goal.
im starting to study rn but not a lot maybe around 1.30 hrs a day from when I posted this? which is no where near how much I actually need to revise. is it still possible to get a 2:1 at this rate? How do you study for physical chemistry? any YouTube channels recommended? because I use this specific YouTuber for organic chem, but I am not sure which resources I should use for physical and inorganic. I am struggling with physical the most, I seriously do not know what is going on ion that module.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 days ago
There could be a deeper psychological issue at play here. You have the opportunity to transfer to Kings if you get 60% or higher which is doable. Whatever is stopping you is rooted in a deeper issue. Physical chemistry is tricky - why not reach out to a second year to tutor you - paying for tutoring is better than not getting the 60% you need to go to Kings.

A wider question is whether you will struggle with motivation IF you get to Kings? Perhaps Chemistry is not for you?
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I honestly don't know what is wrong with me. I have around 47 days until my final summer exams that counts 80% towards my grade (I am currently a 1st year uni student) and I have applied to transfer to KCL where the requirement for me is to get an average of 60% in first year. Going to KCL has always been a dream of mine and now I even got an offer, but I still can't get myself to study. I don't even understand anything in chemistry (which is my degree) and all I have done so far is watch the lectures and made notes on what the lecturers say, but I never put in the effort to understand the material. I procrastinate all the time and now I'm panicking because I don't even know if I will even get a 2:1 anymore with the remaining days I have. I feel like I should just get to grips with it, it's so pathetic but I honestly don't know why I'm like this, I literally never have motivation.
Hi there,

First of all, I'm really sorry to hear youre feeling like that

Second of all, I would recommend making a revision timetable, or trying to do work little but often. What I like to do is do my revision in 25 minute chunks, with a 5 minute break, and do a couple of rounds of that I like to use the Forest App, which plants a tree every time you do a 'chunk' of revision (the tree is virtual - but you can save your coins for a real tree!). Sometimes it's so easy to feel overwhelmed with how much you have to do, but I find actually sitting down and starting is the first step - and then it just flows.

Or, if you feel comfortable to, maybe it would be worth e-mailing your private tutor to ask for some guidance, motivation and help!

I hope that's helpful

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
jademowry123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
message me on private because i really would like to help you
because i know how hard it is to not recieve any help with studying
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago

Hey!

Sorry to hear that you’re struggling 

I've tried to keep to the same routine that I've had pre-pandemic. I plan a week in advance in my diary so I know what deadlines I've got coming up and I make small lists for each day too. This helps me see what I've managed to do, even though sometimes I don't get everything on my list finished.

I've been through something similar to yourself before and had to spend 8 hours a day catching up. I found study skills books really useful as they helped me gain a better understanding of the topics covered in lectures

Have you spoken to your lecturers or personal tutor about how you’re feeling? They will support you as much as they can and could offer you guidance on getting extensions for your course work. Our lecture and webcasts transcripts are posted online, you could always ask your lecturer to post these so you can go over them again?

Also make some time to rest too. It's really important to have days off, even if you’ve not managed to get all your tasks completed during the week. I try and take small breaks throughout the day and go out for a walk to get some fresh air.

Reward yourself for the work you finish- this could be half an hour of a favourite tv show or a ten minute catch up on the phone with a friend!

Hope this helps 

Melissa- Student Ambassador
Last edited by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador; 2 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (66)
19.13%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.78%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.93%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.19%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.87%
Speak to current students studying my course (80)
23.19%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.77%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.48%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.32%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.74%

Watched Threads