Lea438
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
what is a 2:1 degree. I have been looking at graduate entry vet med and it says that a 2:1 degree is required
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lea438)
what is a 2:1 degree. I have been looking at graduate entry vet med and it says that a 2:1 degree is required
This is the first result from Google: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/students/exams...undergraduates

• First-Class Honours (70% and above): a first class degree, usually referred to as a ‘first’ or 1st, is the highest honours degree you can achieve
  • Upper Second-Class Honours (60-70%): there are two levels of second class degree. An upper second class, known as a 2:1 or two-one, is the higher of the two levels
  • Lower Second-Class Honours (50-60%): a 2.2 or two-two is the lower level of the second class degree
  • Third-Class Honours (40-50%): known as a ‘third’ or 3rd, this degree is the lowest honours degree achievable
  • Ordinary Degree: If an honours student fails to achieve a third class by a small margin, they may be awarded an ordinary degree i.e. without honours.
Lea438
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
This is the first result from Google: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/students/exams...undergraduates

• First-Class Honours (70% and above): a first class degree, usually referred to as a ‘first’ or 1st, is the highest honours degree you can achieve
  • Upper Second-Class Honours (60-70%): there are two levels of second class degree. An upper second class, known as a 2:1 or two-one, is the higher of the two levels
  • Lower Second-Class Honours (50-60%): a 2.2 or two-two is the lower level of the second class degree
  • Third-Class Honours (40-50%): known as a ‘third’ or 3rd, this degree is the lowest honours degree achievable
  • Ordinary Degree: If an honours student fails to achieve a third class by a small margin, they may be awarded an ordinary degree i.e. without honours.
Thank you, so does that just mean the level of the degree. Like how well you get graded?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thank you, so does that just mean the level of the degree. Like how well you get graded?
Yes - so basically it just means you need to do well in your first degree for Graduate Vet Med.

Now, I'm not an expert at Vet Med admissions, but if you're a school leaver (sounds like it) you should never aim to do graduate entry courses - it's not made for school leavers to aim at, it's for students who changed their mind during or after their degree.

Take a gap year to improve whatever stats, then reapply to standard undergrad Vet Med.
Lea438
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes - so basically it just means you need to do well in your first degree for Graduate Vet Med.

Now, I'm not an expert at Vet Med admissions, but if you're a school leaver (sounds like it) you should never aim to do graduate entry courses - it's not made for school leavers to aim at, it's for students who changed their mind during or after their degree.

Take a gap year to improve whatever stats, then reapply to standard undergrad Vet Med.
What it is, is that I did a btec level 3 extended diploma in animal management, and because of this, i cannot get into vet med straight away without A levels aswell, so I have to do a degree in either bioveterinary science or zoology fist and then progress onto vet med.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What it is, is that I did a btec level 3 extended diploma in animal management, and because of this, i cannot get into vet med straight away without A levels aswell, so I have to do a degree in either bioveterinary science or zoology fist and then progress onto vet med.
Well, it's going to be much more competitive compared to if you do A-Levels and apply to standard undergrad Vet Med.

And it's going to take longer too. But it's your life, your choice!
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
it would be a lot cheaper to take the time out to get the A levels compared to doing a degree you don't actually want to do and then trying for graduate entry to vet med (which is even more competitive than undergrad entry due to the limited places). You will not get tuition fee funding for the 2nd degree so you will need to find the 5 x £9,250 fees from somewhere.
Lea438
Rep:
?
(Original post by ReadingMum)
it would be a lot cheaper to take the time out to get the A levels compared to doing a degree you don't actually want to do and then trying for graduate entry to vet med (which is even more competitive than undergrad entry due to the limited places). You will not get tuition fee funding for the 2nd degree so you will need to find the 5 x £9,250 fees from somewhere.
Yes!, I know, but zoology is my backup option so I want to do that incase I dont like vet med and also I want a degree in zoology so i could have the option to become a zoological vet if i wanted to be
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads