Bursaries for PGCE Secondary MFL Courses

Watch
falcon66
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Does anyone have any info about how bursaries for PGCE courses work?

In particular, for teaching Spanish. Conflicting info from uni about where to apply and how and what the eligibility criteria is.
Similar question about the subject knowledge enhancement bursary. This is supposed to be paid in May for a quick 3 month course in French. Nobody seems able to confirm details of whether the course is going ahead and as above, eligibility for the bursary.
All a bit of a mess, just sitting around waiting and in the meantime unsure about when/if to move closer to the uni ( Chester ).
A bit of a ramble, but comments welcome.
GwenT
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by falcon66)
Does anyone have any info about how bursaries for PGCE courses work?

In particular, for teaching Spanish. Conflicting info from uni about where to apply and how and what the eligibility criteria is.
Similar question about the subject knowledge enhancement bursary. This is supposed to be paid in May for a quick 3 month course in French. Nobody seems able to confirm details of whether the course is going ahead and as above, eligibility for the bursary.
All a bit of a mess, just sitting around waiting and in the meantime unsure about when/if to move closer to the uni ( Chester ).
A bit of a ramble, but comments welcome.
Good question... I have an offer to do French with Spanish at Sussex in September but haven't accepted it yet because I have been getting conflicting info on whether I would get Home Student status (which I should do according to the government website - I am French but have been living here for nearly four years and have pre-settled status) and the PGCE bursary.
I have an interview with another uni next week, and if they confirm that they will accept me as a home student and that I will be getting the bursary, I may just accept their offer instead, even though I would really like to go to Sussex. Financially it would make such a difference.
This is the best info I have found so far but it looks like training providers are the ones making the decision in the end, even if you meet all the eligibility requirements: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-academic-year

From what I have been told, you should be able to get the SKE bursary if the university puts it as a condition on your offer. I believe it is paid monthly, as long as you study about 25 hours a week.
I guess requirements may vary depending on unis but at Sussex here they are (for languages):
- Evidence of success in mastering another European language
- A degree in any subject - although preferably one with a linguistic element
- A passion for languages
- A conditional place on an MFL ITE course.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (66)
19.08%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.74%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.91%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.18%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.81%
Speak to current students studying my course (80)
23.12%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.76%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.31%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.73%

Watched Threads