The Student Room Group

Can schools monitor my personal devices?

Can schools see everything I’m doing on my phone if I have outlook, google classroom and google drive downloaded and all logged into with my school account? Would they be able to monitor my phone and see my search history, photos, WhatsApp messages etc? Thanks.
No, I think that would be illegal. They probably monitor the things you do with the apps linked to your school (e.g. google drive, classroom, etc) but not anything else. I also have those stuff downloaded so yeah
Can schools monitor their own network? Yes, if you are connected with your personal device to their network.

Can schools monitor your personal device? Your school applications should not be communicating with the rest of the device.
If you are for example, on an Android-based device and the Google account used is your school device, then there is the possibility of wider data being available to the account administrator - however, it is very unlikely for anyone to have the time or need to be checking all of the data they can get.

Regardless of the above, you'll be happy to hear that WhatsApp is very secure as it uses end-to-end encryption and is isolated from the rest of the system; other applications such as Google's suite of applications are designed with various endpoints available for other applications and services to pull information from. But again, I really wouldn't worry. There are likely hundreds of students at your school, a drop in the proverbial ocean of data.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending