samrichardsonn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello,

Since leaving school I've went down the social sciences route, getting a HNC in Social Sciences and going to university to study sociology. I finished my first year but dropped out during my second year. I retried it a few times but dropped out again due to health and personal reasons.

I'm now going back to college to do another HNC in cyber security and hoping to get a degree from it.

I'm 23 just now so by the time I'll get back to university I'll be 25. Now I'm not worried about going to university at an older age, I'm more worried about how I'd be received as a fresher staying in halls, knowing most freshers are 18.

Anyone ever been in my position? And any of you guys that are going to university how would you feel about one of your flatmates being a 25 year old?

Cheers.
University of Sussex Official Reps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by samrichardsonn)
Hello,

Since leaving school I've went down the social sciences route, getting a HNC in Social Sciences and going to university to study sociology. I finished my first year but dropped out during my second year. I retried it a few times but dropped out again due to health and personal reasons.

I'm now going back to college to do another HNC in cyber security and hoping to get a degree from it.

I'm 23 just now so by the time I'll get back to university I'll be 25. Now I'm not worried about going to university at an older age, I'm more worried about how I'd be received as a fresher staying in halls, knowing most freshers are 18.

Anyone ever been in my position? And any of you guys that are going to university how would you feel about one of your flatmates being a 25 year old?

Cheers.
Hello, thank you for your question.

As a current university student, I can honestly say that based on my experience, while the majority of university students are under the age of 20 when they begin their course, the age differences are rarely noticed. Furthermore, most universities do offer an option to opt for on-campus accommodation with mature students (over age of 21). Hence, this is something worth thinking about, to help you make new connections. Also, commonly there are clubs and societies you can choose to join to meet like-minded people, including those who class as mature students. All and all, I would try not to worry too much about fitting in, since there will always be people in a similar situation as yourself and in reality it is unlikely you will have any trouble with establishing new friendships.

I hope this gives you some reassurance. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad)
samrichardsonn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps)
Hello, thank you for your question.

As a current university student, I can honestly say that based on my experience, while the majority of university students are under the age of 20 when they begin their course, the age differences are rarely noticed. Furthermore, most universities do offer an option to opt for on-campus accommodation with mature students (over age of 21). Hence, this is something worth thinking about, to help you make new connections. Also, commonly there are clubs and societies you can choose to join to meet like-minded people, including those who class as mature students. All and all, I would try not to worry too much about fitting in, since there will always be people in a similar situation as yourself and in reality it is unlikely you will have any trouble with establishing new friendships.

I hope this gives you some reassurance. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad)
Thanks for the reply!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (140)
4.8%
Uncertainty around my education (428)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (327)
11.22%
Lack of purpose or motivation (408)
14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (133)
4.56%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (177)
6.07%
Loneliness (250)
8.58%
Financial worries (108)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (119)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (133)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (157)
5.39%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (259)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (276)
9.47%

Watched Threads