sophx293
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
has anyone done a degree in geography at uni either physical or human, i want to and study geography at uni and not sure which route to go down, my plan is to either become a teacher or do sm with social media

in physical is there lots of maths? bc that’s what would put me off as i got a B but don’t feel confident if there’s lots
H4ttie03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm in year 12 and considering a geo degree too (or languages and potentially law but tbh I think ive decided I dont wanna do it for my undergrad). I think both will have some math involved due to like data collecting and all that stuff from like field work but I think it just depends whether u prefer the more scientific side or social side tbh
Cat Tonge (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sophx293)
has anyone done a degree in geography at uni either physical or human, i want to and study geography at uni and not sure which route to go down, my plan is to either become a teacher or do sm with social media

in physical is there lots of maths? bc that’s what would put me off as i got a B but don’t feel confident if there’s lots
Hi there sophx293

So I have not studied geography at uni, however, near enough all of my friends from uni did. From what I saw both pathways will feature mathematics in one way or another. Physical geography will require a different kind of maths. This is because at university level human is more like social science and physical more of traditional science. However, at university calculators and computers are available to make maths a lot easier, so if you are worried about maths but typically work at a B, I wouldn't worry too much. From what I saw, the thing they actually struggled with the most was mapping, creating digital maps of areas.

If you are interested in teaching geography can be a really good choice.
If you are interested in something to do with social media, I would push you to consider something like a marketing degree, Media and communications degree, or perhaps even sociology where you can focus on that rather than on a geographical element. But if you are set on geography, humans might be the better path for you.

What I might further suggest, is that some universities such as ours, offer three types of a pure geography degree. Physical, Human, or geography. In doing the straight geography you can do a little of both paths.
Further, I know that we once (I am unsure if we still do, but you might be able to look for it at other uni's) offered a dual honours degree in geography with media, which would be right up your street I think.

I hope this helps and good luck! If you have any more questions please do ask!
All the best,
Cat, York St John University Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (136)
4.75%
Uncertainty around my education (421)
14.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (322)
11.25%
Lack of purpose or motivation (401)
14.02%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (128)
4.47%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (175)
6.12%
Loneliness (248)
8.67%
Financial worries (104)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (116)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (131)
4.58%
Lack of real life entertainment (153)
5.35%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (254)
8.88%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (272)
9.51%

Watched Threads